PDA

View Full Version : Filteration for 737L tank (UK)

dog299
11-28-2014, 07:51 AM
Long time reader first time poster (so please be kind).

After many years of planning/hoping I have finally moved from a flat into a house; aside from the luxury of having my own drive I can finally indulge my ultimate desire…a large fish tank.

Negotiations with my other half and practicability means the tank is looking at 72” x 30” x 24” 162 UK gal 737l (around 195 US gal?); I am going to order it from ND Aquatics as they seem reasonably well priced and very quick when responding to questions.

I have been a long time fish fan; having several tanks in my flat (biggest was 4ft which housed/ and still does, happy Discus) though I am certainly no fish expert. The new freedom I have been afforded means I want to explore my hobby and Discus more.

I am aware of this question being asked multiple times but i really would like thoughts as to filtration i.e. sump or external filter.

The tank will be in dining/living room area. My current thought is black background; bare bottom; no plants; some nice pieces of driftwood, hopefully letting the beautiful discus do the talking.

Sump option:
My concern with a sump is the complexity of installation; a seeming maze of pipe work, wires and the ever present risk of flooding. I am aware that the benefits are great (especially taking equipment out of the tank i.e. heater etc.) and it does interest me in terms of a challenge. ND Aquatics are suggest at 50” x 18” x 17” sump for that tank and will drill the holes and install a weir etc. I know many will suggest doing a DIY sump as much cheaper but as mentioned my skills are limited and within reason fortunately money is not too much of a problem vs relative ease.

Filter:
I have always used external filters in the past. Was thinking an Fx6 (maybe 2). I will be honest and admit I have not been great at keeping up at cleaning on my current externals.

Are sumps as complex as I fear? Would it be overkill for Discus? Any and all suggestions are welcomed, but please be kind.

Second Hand Pat
11-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Hi Steve, first off welcome to Simply. It's nice to see long time lurkers become members. Before you decide external filter or sump how close is ND Aquatics to you? I would suggest visiting a pet store or friend who has a working sump and have them walk you thru how it works and is connected. Plus have them turn off the pump so you can see how the water drains into the sump and stops without the flooding concern. A bit of understand would make this decision easier. Personally I am a sump kind of girl.

My only suggest on the black background is to not. You can tape one onto the back and see if you like its effect on the fish.

Pat

dog299
11-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Hi Steve, first off welcome to Simply. It's nice to see long time lurkers become members. Before you decide external filter or sump how close is ND Aquatics to you? I would suggest visiting a pet store or friend who has a working sump and have them walk you thru how it works and is connected. Plus have them turn off the pump so you can see how the water drains into the sump and stops without the flooding concern. A bit of understand would make this decision easier. Personally I am a sump kind of girl.

My only suggest on the black background is to not. You can tape one onto the back and see if you like its effect on the fish.

Pat

thank you for the quick response. Just met up with a fellow fishy fan friend for a coffee and a fish chat; hearing his sump experience is pushing me to external filters ;)

good point on the background I will take note.

afriend
11-28-2014, 01:55 PM
I believe that the filtration system is an extremely important consideration. Personally I am very pleased with the results that I have achieved with my "total filtration system" as explained in the four stickies above. I use three separate canisters, one for mechanical filtration, one for biofiltration, and one as a Purigen reactor. This allows for cleaning each separately on its separate schedule. The biofilter only needs cleaning every couple of years or so, the mechanical filter needs cleaning once a month, and the Purigen reactor is serviced every six weeks.

As for possible flooding, my tank has a built in overflow that drains automatically, so the only flooding possible is one caused by leaks, not equipment malfunction. I've been using the two Nu-Clear canisters for many years now and have never had a leak. They are extremely rugged and the design is such that the tension on the O ring seal is adjustable. Never had so much as one drop leak after the final adjustment.

The results achieved with this filtration system are truly remarkable. The tank always looks as though it has just been cleaned, and the maintenance required to keep it that way is GREATLY reduced. If I were setting up a new tank with adult discus and without plants, I would not consider any other way. Check out the four stickies above.

Paul

ben1968
12-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Just my 2 penneth Steve, Ive always used sumps under tank, as, similar to motorbikes, nothing beats cubes. Coming from a Koi background, im a firm believer in a slower flow, large volume filter. i have a 3 bay, 2 transfer homemade unit, and rinse out the first foam part every month in rainwater. As for feed, I use a double weir system that i made to avoid the hole in the tank problem ( not keen on the loss of inherant strength that the hole creates). Ive never had a flood attributed to the sump. ok, the weir isnt the prettiest bit of kit, but it has done the job for years now undisturbed.

dog299
12-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Just my 2 penneth Steve, Ive always used sumps under tank, as, similar to motorbikes, nothing beats cubes. Coming from a Koi background, im a firm believer in a slower flow, large volume filter. i have a 3 bay, 2 transfer homemade unit, and rinse out the first foam part every month in rainwater. As for feed, I use a double weir system that i made to avoid the hole in the tank problem ( not keen on the loss of inherant strength that the hole creates). Ive never had a flood attributed to the sump. ok, the weir isnt the prettiest bit of kit, but it has done the job for years now undisturbed.

Thanks to everyone that commented, by way of an update I went for an external filter option. Whilst I feel a slight twang at not attempting a sump, I fear it was the right decision for me.

Keep up the good work all