PDA

View Full Version : Aquaclear 110 or Rena XP4

torch
12-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Would Aquaclear 110 Power filter with low flow settings still be too much current for Discus to handle? Tank is 90 gallon tank 48x18x24 inch high with five 3.5 to 5 inch discus? If it is the Rena XP4 be better solution?

Looking to upgrade my filtration setup.

Currently I'm using Aquaclear 70 (Matrix/Biomax), Prefilter MAX III sponge and one Hydro Sponge IV. Just added Two Hydro Sponge V stacked.

Looking to add Aquaclear 110 or Rena XP4 cannister with Biohome media both with prefiler Max sponge. Will combine it with existing Aquaclear 70 (Matrix/biomax).

Thinking of removing all the Hydro sponges as they are taking up space in tank and I don't like the look.

I like Aquaclear 110 but it can be noisy, very strong current but simple to maintain and like the water fall (oxygenation and water movement).

I like Rena XP 4 alot of room for biodmedia (Biohome) and the water output on spray and intake tube can go deep down. But its not as easy to clean or maintain.

I have 5 discus now and will be getting four for total of 9 discus in 90 gallon. All will be around 4 to 5 inch in size. Feeding 4x daily with about 80% WC twice weekly. Perhaps I should not be so concern with filtration if 80% WC twice weekly the quality of water should be good enough (zero Ammonia, Nitrate and very low nitrate)?

Braydon00
12-19-2014, 11:08 AM
In my opinion I would go for the aquaclear 110. Canisters are great in that they do have a lot of room for media. The drawback is oxygen levels in a canister is pretty low, so if its left off to long you can have serious problems. The aquaclears are awesome because they are easy to clean and still hold a good amount of media. In my experience with the aquaclears have NOT been very noisy at all. I think the noise from mine come from the water flowing back in the aquarium. If it were me I would use both the 70 and 110 on the 90. Flow wont do any harm to the discus.

torch
12-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks I'll go with AC 110.

jsullins
12-19-2014, 05:34 PM
either one would be fine.