PDA

View Full Version : cO2 newbie

RodneyL001
12-24-2014, 10:43 PM
I am venturing into a new aspect for growing my plants. I just installed a diy unit with yeast on my 35 gal tank. Now I would like to do a pressurized system on my low tech 125 gal tank. Because I am so inexperienced with co2 injection, I saw a setup listed as, "Magnetic Solenoid Bubble Counter DG1783 aquarium CO2 Pressure Regulator System," from oversees . Anyone know if I'm on the right path? I may get a paintball adapter, also looking for a good youtube like to walk me thru installation.

DiscusLoverJeff
12-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Rodney,

Here is a good video on how to setup and use a pressurized CO2 setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdOFCatSPKo

I have a similar on my 95 gallon planted tank. The key is to adjust the bubble count appropriately to not over-dose the tank. I use 3 bubbles per second. I started with 2 and gradually went up. You will have to just watch your fish and see how they react.

RodneyL001
12-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Thanks Jeff, that is a perfect video. As I said I am really green with CO2, what is that liquid he put in the bubble counter?

DiscusLoverJeff
12-26-2014, 09:59 AM
I use vegetable oil.

RodneyL001
12-28-2014, 01:36 AM
So I got the, Premium AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with Integrated COOL TOUCH Solenoid from Amazon. I got the paintball adapter in case I have trouble getting the 5lbs tank filled. Does anyone have an idea where I could get my 5lb tank filled. I saw where a local Dicks fills the tanks for paintballs', I haven't been able to speak to anyone yet to see if they will fill 5lbs. Which size tank do some of you members use?

DiscusLoverJeff
12-28-2014, 07:24 AM
Depends on where you live?

You can try a fire extinguisher company that services them. Most places only do exchanges. In Illinois I found a couple places to fill mine. One was Hendrickson Fire Extinguishers and one was Grow Masters, a Hydroponics company. I did not want to exchange my aluminum tank for a heavy metal one.

RodneyL001
12-30-2014, 06:05 AM
Got My Aquatek CO2 regulator. I can't believe I actually found a place that will allow me to do an exchange on my 5lb tank, I just knew I would have to use my paintball adapter. Now I wish I gotten an empty "used tank", because I bought a new one from Amazon and I had to give up my brand spanking new tank for one of their used ones, but a small sacrifice to make. I live in a small town in the mountains of North Carolina, not a lot of options for me, so I didn't think I was going to be able to use my 5lb tank. So if anyone is going to use a 5 lbs tank, check and see if you can find somebody that will fill your tank, or if they are going to do an exchange. If they are going to do an exchange, save yourself some money and get a used tank. While doing some reading on using a pressurized tank, I just happened to see, tucked in somewhere, that I should be cautious on how much liquid I use in my bubble counter, I am surprised that information wasn't more pronounced in the instructions, after debating the issue I decided to go with mineral oil.

rickztahone
12-30-2014, 09:57 PM
If you got an aluminum tank there are a bunch of places that fill your tank and not have to swap in. Airgas is one of them and they are all over. I would not have traded in an aluminum tank. I had a 10# one and it use to cost me like $15 to fill and lasted me months.

RodneyL001
12-31-2014, 07:41 PM
Rick, guess where I went to fill my tank . . . if you said Airgas, you would be right. They would only exchange it for me. It was an aluminum tank I had to give them, they exchanged it for another aluminum tank. The only options I found in my small town was a sporting goods store, Dick's, that would fill a paintball tank for me. I just did a search for your town, totally different situation than mine, you are near a metropolitan area, you would have several options. I am originally from Chicago, if I was back home, I would have had several options also.

rickztahone
12-31-2014, 08:16 PM
Rick, guess where I went to fill my tank . . . if you said Airgas, you would be right. They would only exchange it for me. It was an aluminum tank I had to give them, they exchanged it for another aluminum tank. The only options I found in my small town was a sporting goods store, Dick's, that would fill a paintball tank for me. I just did a search for your town, totally different situation than mine, you are near a metropolitan area, you would have several options. I am originally from Chicago, if I was back home, I would have had several options also.

Makes sense. I wish it wasn't that way though. After a while of doing planted tanks, you realize that when you see a very cheap tank on CL or something that has the test up to date, BUY IT! You will only be trading it in anyways.

Frankr409
01-01-2015, 05:24 PM

Not sure about your Airgas, but I bought my 20# from them, first fill up was free.

RodneyL001
01-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Frank, well, that is good to know, in case, one of the members is planning on trying pressurized CO2. Just curious, how much does Airgas charge for their tank?

Frankr409
01-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Frank, well, that is good to know, in case, one of the members is planning on trying pressurized CO2. Just curious, how much does Airgas charge for their tank?the tank, and free fill was 143. That was a 20# tank. Loved it was as cheap as you could find it anywhere reputable, and you don't have to worry about some Craig's list miscreant sticking a gun in your mouth.