PDA

View Full Version : Help with eye injury

we4wieners
01-04-2015, 12:11 AM
My 5" blue turq has had, what I thought to be cloud eye. I removed him to hospital tank and treated with Maracyn2. It didn't react at all. Its been quite a few weeks now back in the DT and he has gotten worse. He eats and competes for food very well. He seems very healthy. His eye is protruding much more, though still eating. I do twice weekly water changes. I believe it to be an injury now. I would like to treat him again in a hospital tank, but would really like suggestions as to the proper medication. He's in a 125 with several other discus and juruparis. Is filtered by an FX5, rena xp4, and an AC110. Yep is at 85'. WC's every 3 days. Tank has been established with current livestock for several years. No other fish are showing any signs of illness. What do you suggest as treatment. He seems unaffected.

nc0gnet0
01-04-2015, 12:15 AM
My 5" blue turq has had, what I thought to be cloud eye. I removed him to hospital tank and treated with Maracyn2. It didn't react at all. Its been quite a few weeks now back in the DT and he has gotten worse. He eats and competes for food very well. He seems very healthy. His eye is protruding much more, though still eating. I do twice weekly water changes. I believe it to be an injury now. I would like to treat him again in a hospital tank, but would really like suggestions as to the proper medication. He's in a 125 with several other discus and juruparis. Is filtered by an FX5, rena xp4, and an AC110. Yep is at 85'. WC's every 3 days. Tank has been established with current livestock for several years. No other fish are showing any signs of illness. What do you suggest as treatment. He seems unaffected.

pics might help, how much is the eye actually protruding?

we4wieners
01-04-2015, 12:16 AM
Unfortunately, I'm at work. I will post pics tomorrow. Its protruding quite significantly.

nc0gnet0
01-04-2015, 12:20 AM
I might opt for a combination of kanamycin and furan 2 in a sterile QT tank. Keep the water pristine.

brewmaster15
01-04-2015, 12:31 AM
I really need a picture..so please post one asap. Thanks,
al

we4wieners
01-04-2015, 12:37 AM
Thank you all for your quick replies. I'm in firehouse til 8am. I'll post pics when I get home in morning.

we4wieners
01-04-2015, 07:39 PM
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/we4wieners/DSC_2969_zpscaed8ee6.jpg (http://s1022.photobucket.com/user/we4wieners/media/DSC_2969_zpscaed8ee6.jpg.html)
Any help would be appreciated. I will set up the HT tomorrow. Where do I get the suggested meds? Any more specifics would be greatly appreciated. temp, wc schedule, etc.

we4wieners
01-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Any ideas?

nc0gnet0
01-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Any ideas?

I might opt for a combination of kanamycin and furan 2 in a sterile QT tank. Keep the water pristine.

Good chance the fish might lose the eye. 80% WC per day in QT tank. Eyes can take quite some time to mend, and it appears you put the fish back into the DT to soon. Healthy adults might squeak by with your WC schedule on your display tank, but not a sick or injured fish. What percent of water are you changing when you do WC's?

we4wieners
01-05-2015, 09:32 AM

Good chance the fish might lose the eye. 80% WC per day in QT tank. Eyes can take quite some time to mend, and it appears you put the fish back into the DT to soon. Healthy adults might squeak by with your WC schedule on your display tank, but not a sick or injured fish. What percent of water are you changing when you do WC's?
Approximately 50-60% WC. I believe I may have stopped treatment and placed back in DT too soon as well. I was afraid to continue with more than one treatment.

brewmaster15
01-06-2015, 11:12 AM
I am really sorry here, but that fishes eye is not going to be salvaged. Its too far gone. Theres too much fluid build up there. Ricks suggestion of kanamycin may help save fish from what looks like a bacterial infection, but I have to be honest with you, the long term prognosis for that fish is not very good. I'm sorry.

al

PP_GBR
01-09-2015, 02:22 PM
How is the fish doing? Check your pm please.

100fuegos
01-10-2015, 08:15 PM
So sorry for the fish. Being there and ended loosing the fish. Treated with cipro first for ten days, didn't get better. Later as Rick suggested with kana + furan2 and 90% WC every day, no filtration just an air stone, my fish didn't eat at all. Eye continued to get bigger and bigger and eventually exploded, yes it did. Oddly enough the fish looked almost relieved like if it released some pressure. Anyway at one point t it was so big that it popped out and it was dead in minutes.

See the tread here (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?115541-Need-help-with-this-female)

we4wieners
01-10-2015, 10:40 PM
If it is as it seems, too far gone, what option do I have now? He eats, swims as if nothings wrong. It is progressively getting worse. Its not responding to anything I do. OK, this is getting a bit upsetting. I took out the driftwood with the many branches. ( believed to have caused the injury ) Ive had him for some time and really hate to have to think of this.

nc0gnet0
01-10-2015, 11:11 PM
What have you tried so far?

PP_GBR
01-11-2015, 01:31 PM
100F

I have successfully treated my flowerhorn with pop eyes in two separate incidents with the same fish about two months apart. During treatment, I was so scared his eye would pop like your discus. His eye was the size of a marble with tissue hanging outside. Treated it and then about two months later his other eye got infected but this time it wasnt so bad like the first time.Treated again and now both eyes clear up and you could even tell he had bad eye infection.

If you are interested, pm me. You got nothing to lose Lol.

we4wieners
01-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Treating in 10g hospital tank with furan2. Should I add salt?

we4wieners
01-13-2015, 07:37 PM
How long to dose? His eye is terrible. Though, his behavior is that of a perfectly healthy fish. Silly as it sounds, I don't want him to go through any pain. Is that ignorant or am I for saying that?

PP_GBR
01-14-2015, 01:00 AM
The key is to get the swelling down before it explodes. I would add salt to the tank. Hope it is not too late. Good luck.

nc0gnet0
01-14-2015, 07:57 AM
Treating in 10g hospital tank with furan2. Should I add salt?

10 gallon hospital tank is too small imo, 20g should be the minimum. I still recommend adding kanamycin to the mix, not a fan of salt.

bluelagoon
01-15-2015, 01:35 AM
I was just reading another one of your posts.If you still have all those fish together still in one tank,I would up the WC's to at least 50% daily.There's a lot going on in a tank that crowded.Appeares to me that this injury happened over a period of time.Your other discus appear dark and the PB's are very peppered.Your other fish "appear" healthy.Hope this helps some.