PDA

View Full Version : Hello :-)

MeCasa
01-04-2015, 01:21 PM
I'm an old aquarium hand that shut everything down everything a decade ago and only started up again when my grandchildren asked. Although I started this with a promise that I would set up 'one' tank only....I now have a 150 and (2) 20's set up and bought my granddaughter a 210 for Christmas.

The 150 is a planted mixed cichlid tank with 4 Africans and 4 Central Americans, the tank has been up for a year with no problems and the largest varieties (the Central Americans, Terror and Dempsey are about 5")

I told my granddaughter that she could choose the type of aquarium and fish and she's chosen a planted Discus tank. We went to Houston and met John at Houston Aquarium Warehouse (Houston's leading Discus dealer) and after some verifications on the feasibility of running a planted Discus with 8.2 ph water and some other conditions such as the tank being outside in a greenhouse we've decided to proceed.

The young lady fully understands that it may be 8 months before the tank is planted and established enough to add fish.

So the learning begins :-)

Kirbs
01-04-2015, 10:56 PM
[[/
Good Luck with your venture!

My grandaughter is 19 months and helps hold the hose for the water changes (and not necessarily in the bucket.). She loves all animals, especially dogs. She likes my discus too. I hope she continues to show interest!

Fishingdeep
01-05-2015, 01:06 AM
Welcome MeCasa ! I have to do the same.

Second Hand Pat
01-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Hi MeCasa and welcome to Simply. You are a most generous grandpa and what a lucky granddaughter :D. If you read thru threads here you will find that many will suggest first time discus keeper to start with a bare bottom tank with adult discus. Most people who successful keep discus in a planted tank have maintained both separately while acquiring skill sets in both. I would suggest a low tech planted tank with adult discus.
Pat