PDA

View Full Version : Disinfecting sponge filter

torch
01-06-2015, 12:50 PM
What is sure way to disinfect sponge filter aftering medication treatment or get rid of potential disease. I know its cheaper to buy a new one but seems waste if I can re-use it. I don't want to use my pot for boiling. If microwave how long for timer and does it needs to wet?

Please confirm if its possible to disinfect as I don't want to risk of getting my discus sick. Maybe I should buy new ones?

MKD
01-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Give it a good rinse then put in microwave for a minute.

Bill63SG
01-06-2015, 02:11 PM

+1

Skip
01-06-2015, 02:47 PM

and wrap it in Saran Wrap... 15 seconds and that baby will be super heated.. just like a popcorn bag!!

torch
01-06-2015, 03:04 PM
and wrap it in Saran Wrap... 15 seconds and that baby will be super heated.. just like a popcorn bag!!

This should nuke all bacteria (good/bad)?

Skip
01-06-2015, 03:09 PM

yep.. i also use this in the kitchen sponge in sink.. thats where i picked up the idea.. since that sponge is one of the dirtiest things in a house :)

any longer.. and you would melt the sponge..

Ed13
01-26-2015, 02:37 PM
All? No. While the method is different is basically not much different than heat produce using other methods and there is much less radiation than many people assume. So basically, how good is it at sterilization depends on the heat resistance of what you are trying to kill.

Think about it, ants, roaches and many insects will survive being put in a microwave oven.
However, more than likely is good enough for your purposes.

Thought this was funny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8VPPwDEroQ

torch
01-26-2015, 02:43 PM
All? No. While the method is different is basically not much different than heat produce using other methods and there is much less radiation than many people assume. So basically, how good is it at sterilization depends on the heat resistance of what you are trying to kill.

Think about it, ants, roaches and many insects will survive being put in a microwave oven.
However, more than likely is good enough for your purposes.

Thought this was funny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8VPPwDEroQ

I'm going to replace the sponge since its inexpensive anyway. I don't want to risk reusing it if there is chance it'll get my Discus sick. It was nice thought of recycling sponge but in long run not worth losing my price fish over it.

Ed13
01-26-2015, 02:53 PM
I'm going to replace the sponge since its inexpensive anyway. I don't want to risk reusing it if there is chance it'll get my Discus sick. It was nice thought of recycling sponge but in long run not worth losing my price fish over it.
I'd do the same. If I can't be absolutely sure to sterilize something and/or there is reasonable concern , I don't take the risk. After all, it's not my life on the line.
Doesn't sound like you lost the fish or are you getting new fish?

torch
01-26-2015, 03:16 PM
I'd do the same. If I can't be absolutely sure to sterilize something and/or there is reasonable concern , I don't take the risk. After all, it's not my life on the line.
Doesn't sound like you lost the fish or are you getting new fish?

Lose three fish! Was using existing ATI sponge IV, Biomax and Matrix from Goldfish tank. Not sure if they were responsible for sickness (fish dashing and eventually flip over and die) I dump all these bio media except for ATI sponge V which was new and was cycling.

Now my remaining two fish are stablized and no issue. I am planning to get new batch of fish and is monitoring the fish with sponge V to see if there are any issues. Eventually I am going to replace sponge V with k1 and HOB using CeraMedia Marinepure 1.5 Spheres.

jsullins
02-12-2015, 10:41 PM
just boil it in a big pot.

Chicago Discus
02-12-2015, 11:39 PM
They are very cheap just replace it ������������.....josie

brewmaster15
02-13-2015, 12:58 AM
If you have had a disease issue discard all sponges.Hard surfaces like sintered glass media can be bleached first then rinsed and boiled for 45 min(thats 45 mins after boil has started.

For general sanitizing sponges,media, and equipment can be boiled.

dont bleach sponges...they melt.

Al

torch
02-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Thanks all. i decided to trash the sponges and maybe even the biomax and matrix. Don't want take any risk.

Chicago Discus
02-13-2015, 03:04 PM
Thanks all. i decided to trash the sponges and maybe even the biomax and matrix. Don't want take any risk.

Good call :):)