PDA

View Full Version : Want to start a new tank... Have some discus questions.

mithryl
01-07-2015, 11:07 PM
I had fish in the past, cichlids, and since my fiance has been working on his first saltwater tank I have decided I miss it and need another tank! I have some serious space constraints, especially since he has taken up some of the prime real estate in our house, I have a 37 gallon that will work but can't really go any bigger. I have been trying to decide what I want to do and discus had always been something I wanted to keep, I have been reading some various information and have some questions that I haven't really been able to find answers to (yet).

Is a 37 gallon feasible at all? If it is possible to run a 37 with discus (maybe a pair?) I have seen some places say a pair will be fine and others say you must have groups)
I have read about the bare bottom tanks but am not really a fan of the looks, is it ok to do a shallow layer of substrate?
I have no LFS that carries discus or that I would buy from if they did, can anyone suggest some good online options?
What are some suggestions on equipment? I haven't had fish in probably 6+ years and I feel so overwhelmed at the store now, all these new brands and options... What are some of your favorite brands and/or options out right now?

I have some books on the way that I'm sure will help and I plan on doing some more research but I just wanted to ask these questions while they were on my mind. Thanks!

John_Nicholson
01-08-2015, 09:41 AM
Well Holly you would have the cards stacked against you. You could get a breeding pair for the 37 but you would have no way of growing out the fry. Honestly as much as I want the entire would to own discus I would say now is not the time for you. I suggest staying on the site and reading a lot but waiting until you have space for a 75 before taking the discus plunge.

-john

discuspaul
01-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Welcome to the forum, Holly

Following up on what John said, I agree with him that discus are probably not for you at the moment.
A 37 gal is only appropriate to keep a mated pair, or to temporarily raise small young discus to a certain size.
In the former case, if you have a mated pair, then you would be faced with possibly raising young when they spawn ( and they will, over & over again). If you don't have a mated pair, you're exposing yourself to the risk of serious pecking order aggression by one over the other.
In the latter case, if you grow out some young discus, it wouldn't be long (perhaps just a couple/few months depending on how many you got) before you'd need to either get a larger tank to house them, or sell them off.

Discus-keeping is great, but only if you're properly prepared, not only with the knowledge necessary to be successful at it, but also to have the equipment to house & care for a group of no less than 5 or 6 discus.

Wait until you can have a tank of at least 60 gals or more, and then go for it.
Meantime, as John suggested, stick around and learn all you can about keeping discus.

blazend
01-08-2015, 05:17 PM
You may have the cards stacked against you but this doesn't mean you cant...

I used a 18 gallon to raise my 6 babies. I then moved them when they were coloring out to my 42 gallon. I have 5 living in my 42 now with other fish and they seem happy and growing. I dont plan on having babies but if i get a pair ill probably start a tank for just the discus.

My point is with good maintenance and time you could make the 37 work if you asked me. (Just know discus are a lot dirtier then any other freshwater fish i have dealt with)

discuspaul
01-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Keeping in mind that the recommended number of discus to be kept together in order to minimize pecking order aggression is 6 or more, imo a 37 gal tank is far from ideal for anything more than use on a temporary basis for growing out juvies, or for housing a mated pair.