PDA

View Full Version : new... couple question

cr25ovet
01-11-2015, 03:18 AM
i did setup my new tank today(60 gallon). its cycling now. i used part of my established tanks filter material and hope it will cycle fast.
couple questions.
1. i like to keep some corys in the same tank....they really like mid 70 degree water...i read discus like 82 and up....not sure if the corys would like that.
2. my local store had a very limited selection of plants that tolerate higher temps.any ideas where i can get plants ?
3. also looking for a source in a couple weeks to order some discus fish.
4. this might sound really stupid... i like to add about 5 discus....can i mix the different colors? or do i need to get a school of discus with all the same coloration?

Surfnturf
01-11-2015, 10:17 AM
I have 5 Corys in my tank at low 80 temp. 2 panda, 2 albino, 1 julii. They seem to tolerate well as do a good job policing up uneaten food. No idea on plants butive had no probs just randomly throwing anything in there. Different colors mix with no problems. There are some breeders on this site. You may have good luck finding one near you. I'm still new to aquariums and discus but that's just based off my experience. good luck and have fun with it. That's what hobbies are for.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc307/StantonJ777/aquarium/A04FD4FF-FFCF-4FE9-832E-D96E17BCBE4C_zpsfnhzdecp.jpg (http://s212.photobucket.com/user/StantonJ777/media/aquarium/A04FD4FF-FFCF-4FE9-832E-D96E17BCBE4C_zpsfnhzdecp.jpg.html)

Surfnturf
01-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Wisteria, contortion val and Amazon frogbits in photo. Brazilian pennywort in back not doing so hot.

John_Nicholson
01-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Also please spend some time reading in the beginners section. You will find that it is vert hard to raise small discus in a planted tank. You will be miles ahead to either buy 5+ inch fish for your planted tank or to buy small fish and raise them in a bare bottom fish until adults and them put them in a planted tank. It involves their diet and their need for very high water quality. I could write a book on all of the reasons and I am not trolling or looking for an argument but plants will not help the water quality in this case.

Good luck.

-john

cr25ovet
01-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Not going to do a glass bare bottom. .. . I think I will go with 5 inch fish. .. .will take me a little longer to save up the $$$.
Is 82 about the lowest temperature you recommend?

John_Nicholson
01-11-2015, 06:51 PM
Yes 82 is the golden temp. You can find both tankmayes and plants that will live there. Good luck and I think you are being smart about this.

-john

DISCUS STU
01-16-2015, 04:32 PM
i did setup my new tank today(60 gallon). its cycling now. i used part of my established tanks filter material and hope it will cycle fast.
couple questions.
1. i like to keep some corys in the same tank....they really like mid 70 degree water...i read discus like 82 and up....not sure if the corys would like that.
2. my local store had a very limited selection of plants that tolerate higher temps.any ideas where i can get plants ?
3. also looking for a source in a couple weeks to order some discus fish.
4. this might sound really stupid... i like to add about 5 discus....can i mix the different colors? or do i need to get a school of discus with all the same coloration?

Welcome to Discus Keeping!

1. Cory's are good all the way up to 86 and even higher on a temp. basis.
2. A good number of plants at that temp. I like Radican or Melon Swords, Vallisnaria.
3. Good sources on this site, I also use Discus Madness (NJ) or Wattley Discus. All of them ship. Avoid Somethingphisy.
4. No issue with mixing different colors. Some people keep single strain tanks others mix it up. I do the second.

Follow the guidelines on this site, ask questions freely and you should be in good shape.

- Stu

cr25ovet
01-22-2015, 04:45 AM
so far everything is going smooth. only feel bad for the corys i got....they started to spawn... but all 5 of them r males lol.

cr25ovet
01-22-2015, 04:47 AM
really like to get some floating plants...any place online i can order?

Larry Grenier
01-22-2015, 08:55 AM
There are floating plants available on Aquabid most of the time and I see some now.