PDA

View Full Version : Nada 2016

John_Nicholson
01-19-2015, 10:05 AM
A decision has been made....I know where the next NADA show is going to be held......Anyone want to guess the location?

-john

Larry Grenier
01-19-2015, 10:33 AM
Manassas Virginia!

John_Nicholson
01-19-2015, 10:53 AM
Nice guess by nope....LOL.

-john

jmf3460
01-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Greensboro NC??

John_Nicholson
01-19-2015, 11:37 AM
LOL.. Not quite, but here is a clue. There is a major NADA sponsor that is located within an hour or two of where the show will end up.

-john

Loosir
01-19-2015, 12:16 PM
An hour or two from Caddo MIlls, TX? :evilgrin:

Discus-n00b
01-19-2015, 12:21 PM
I was thinking Caddo Mills as well Geoff! ;)

sdrexler078
01-19-2015, 12:30 PM
Chicago

Larry Grenier
01-19-2015, 12:35 PM
Hans? Baltimore or Washington DC?

Second Hand Pat
01-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Chicago

or Bolingbrook, IL, or Janesville, WI, or Naperville Il, or Cedar Rapids, Iowa as a couple other guesses.

Second Hand Pat
01-19-2015, 12:39 PM
A few more Woodridge, IL, Grand Rapids, MI, Lake Villa, IL.

John_Nicholson
01-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Seems that some of ya'll are correct....but I am not telling you who just yet...

-john

Disgirl
01-19-2015, 01:03 PM
+1 for Chicago and Josie!
Barb

rickztahone
01-19-2015, 01:51 PM
Alaska?

Discus-n00b
01-19-2015, 02:14 PM
Alaska?

Sorry Chicago, I'd be more in favor of this one. But only for selfish photography based side trip reasons!

rickztahone
01-19-2015, 02:16 PM
Sorry Chicago, I'd be more in favor of this one. But only for selfish photography based side trip reasons!

lol, I've actually always wanted to go as well.

As far as Nada 2016, I'm guessing Texas got the rights to it again?

John_Nicholson
01-19-2015, 03:27 PM
Somewhere around Chicago is the correct answer.....because of cost it will not be in Chicago but somewhere in that general area.

As details get locked down we will keep everyone informed. Hope to see everyone there. It will be a blast.

-john

rickztahone
01-19-2015, 04:29 PM
awesome. I've never been there, would love to make this one.

Altum Nut
01-19-2015, 05:24 PM
May this be very well my first NADA event come true.... It's a 7 hr. drive or 1 hr. 45 min flight?????
Drive allows more fish to bring home...A+

...Ralph

John_Nicholson
01-19-2015, 05:56 PM
Looks like only 14 hours for me so I will be driving for sure....LOL.

-john

Larry Bugg
01-19-2015, 06:04 PM
11 hours for me. That is awesome!! Driving for sure. Means it will be easy to transport fish going and coming home.

nc0gnet0
01-19-2015, 08:06 PM
A few more Woodridge, IL, Grand Rapids, MI, Lake Villa, IL.

LOL, I can dream........

It is reasonably close to Chicago.......

Altum Nut
01-19-2015, 09:09 PM
LOL, I can dream........

It is reasonably close to Chicago.......

I maybe crossing paths with you Rick coming from the east...does that mean you may need a ride or will you be taking your bicycle.

...Ralph

manbearpig
01-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Awesome! 5 hours or so for me. I was hoping it would be somewhere reasonably close.

Keith Perkins
01-19-2015, 11:47 PM
The Midwest Drinkers/Discus Association (MWDA) decided to get serious and become the Midwest Discus Hobbyists (MWDH) and give NADA 2016 a serious shot. Being centrally located should allow for many people to drive in, and two major airports and several discount airlines in Chicago should make it one of the most affordable places in the country for fliers to travel into. We've got a handful of hard working dedicated discus keepers in our group, many satellite members we expect will pitch in when we need it, and a secret weapon from just outside Atlanta to help us put on the best damn NADA show ever.

Looking forward to actually meeting many of you that to date I've only met digitally. Oh, and if you care to indulge in adult beverages, I think we'll have you covered there too. :)

JamesP
01-20-2015, 01:29 AM
Finally a short drive. Chicago is a great area and should make for a great show.

Looks like only 14 hours for me so I will be driving for sure....LOL.

-john

Bill63SG
01-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Cool,should only be a 45min drive for me!

nc0gnet0
01-20-2015, 10:04 AM
Just out of curiosity, are we talking actually in Chicago, or, a city close to Chicago?

-Rick

John_Nicholson
01-20-2015, 10:16 AM
Depends on hotels. The trouble with Chicago is it is a union town and so that affects the setup and take down process....i.e. we would have to really over pay some slackers to do what we could do ourselves. Lots of details still need to be set. They will be made
available when they are set.

-john

Bill63SG
01-20-2015, 10:35 AM
I think its safe to say Chicago proper has been ruled out.

Keith Perkins
01-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Of course unless you're from Chicago proper, and perhaps not even then, many of the nearby suburbs are indistinguishable. For now we'll say Chicago to keep it simple unless our ringleader Wes says otherwise.

Discus-n00b
01-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Depends on hotels. The trouble with Chicago is it is a union town and so that affects the setup and take down process....i.e. we would have to really over pay some slackers to do what we could do ourselves. Lots of details still need to be set. They will be made
available when they are set.

-john

Ugh, don't even get me started on this I know exactly what you mean. We are about to do a job out in Unionized California and its nothing but a pain in the butt, have to have "shadows" for everything even plugging an electrical cord into the wall. Not worth the time, especially for a fish show that's been so successful the past few years just from volunteer work.

ericNH
01-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Will this be open to anyone or just members? It would be so tempting to drive out and check out the discus y'all show...

Second Hand Pat
01-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Will this be open to anyone or just members? It would be so tempting to drive out and check out the discus y'all show...

It is open to all Eric and it is a lot of fun. I have been to the last two shows and had a blast.

ericNH
01-20-2015, 07:19 PM
Thats great! Glad to hear it. I just might do something wild and drive on out...

April
01-20-2015, 08:28 PM
Vancouver Canada. lol. ok no. id say either hans, or florida or Chicago??

RogueDiscus
01-20-2015, 08:43 PM
Hmm. If Chicago area, I might be able to go and see family in Milwaukee!

Skip
01-20-2015, 08:44 PM
If u need help assigning discus to tanks. I still have my excel spreadsheet

Kal-El
01-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Somewhere around Chicago is the correct answer.....because of cost it will not be in Chicago but somewhere in that general area.

As details get locked down we will keep everyone informed. Hope to see everyone there. It will be a blast.

-john

Awesome news...

Kal-El
01-20-2015, 08:57 PM
The Midwest Drinkers/Discus Association (MWDA) decided to get serious and become the Midwest Discus Hobbyists (MWDH) and give NADA 2016 a serious shot. Being centrally located should allow for many people to drive in, and two major airports and several discount airlines in Chicago should make it one of the most affordable places in the country for fliers to travel into. We've got a handful of hard working dedicated discus keepers in our group, many satellite members we expect will pitch in when we need it, and a secret weapon from just outside Atlanta to help us put on the best damn NADA show ever.

Looking forward to actually meeting many of you that to date I've only met digitally. Oh, and if you care to indulge in adult beverages, I think we'll have you covered there too. :)

I will do my part as needed to help. This is a great news.

LizStreithorst
01-20-2015, 09:05 PM
My number two hero's guess is the Marriotte in Napperville.

Bill63SG
01-20-2015, 09:07 PM
My number two hero's guess is the Marriotte in Napperville.

Lol.

Mugwump
01-20-2015, 09:35 PM
Downers Grove 'Doubletree'.....large enough, layout is great....has food and bars...plus close to lots more food and bars...LOL

If not Naperville, this is the likely spot...

dkeef
01-20-2015, 09:48 PM
sweet

LizStreithorst
01-20-2015, 10:06 PM
Make mistake on your first guess, number two?

Mugwump
01-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Make mistake on your first guess, number two?

It's either/or..... but the 'Doubletree' has more space, I think??.....we've had huge swaps at where the Marriott is....they just bought it and refurbished it a couple years back.....so..???? if north...the old Hilton with the water park stands out, big time.....a big place...the Renaissance is in Chicago?? Rosemont??...but they had the 'Aquatic Experience' there....??

What was the sq ft of the place in Tx..??

jawfish
01-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Well I guess I need to go this time

This should be fun !!!!

LizStreithorst
01-20-2015, 10:53 PM
Everybody needs to go. Everyone has a blast at NADA.

Number two, among the things I'm not good at is estimating square footage. You will have to ask my number one, Nicholson. We had one big room and one smaller room for the fish and rooms for lectues. We needed more fish space.

Discus-n00b
01-20-2015, 11:11 PM

Number two, among the things I'm not good at is estimating square footage. You will have to ask my number one, Nicholson. We had one big room and one smaller room for the fish and rooms for lectues. We needed more fish space.

And stronger racks ;) haha

LizStreithorst
01-20-2015, 11:22 PM
I'm quite sure that the rack problem has been solved. My number three was at Duisberg when a rack as long as a runway fell down.

jawfish
01-20-2015, 11:37 PM
Yhea I know Liz I need to go... Great occasion to mert some fellow discus nuts. Hopefully I'll be able to convince a few people from my neck of the woods to join !!!

Bill63SG
01-21-2015, 02:49 AM

Having a conference call with John this Saturday.I am a follower in this race,not a leader.

MrFang
01-21-2015, 05:57 AM
Great.. Im about 1.5hr away from chicago..

Keith Perkins
01-21-2015, 01:06 PM
Having a conference call with John this Saturday.I am a follower in this race,not a leader.

Up until the bottle is half empty anyway.

Skip
01-21-2015, 01:06 PM
DOUBLETREE!?!? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

the people on the ground will call around.. and visit..
we need a show room that has access to water.. hotel must have Free Wifi, Bar open till 2am, and a price point we have had for the last 3..

so the organizing people will have their hands full.. but it sure was fun visiting all the hotels :)

Keith Perkins
01-25-2015, 09:30 PM
Well, the work has begun. Baby steps, but Wes, Bill and I talked to John yesterday for over an hour and a half. Still coming up with questions, but venue searching isn't too far off.

Altum Nut
01-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Yhea I know Liz I need to go... Great occasion to mert some fellow discus nuts. Hopefully I'll be able to convince a few people from my neck of the woods to join !!!

I plan on taking the road trip Fred. Would be nice if some of the CDA guys join in.
I better re-new my passport.

...Ralph

jawfish
01-26-2015, 12:35 AM
Agree Ralph it would be nice. I already have one posdible joining us. I'll be driving down you never know what could come up. It will be great to meet you in person. Yup need to renew my passport as well.

yogi
01-27-2015, 10:55 PM
I'm glad to see so many people interested in NADA's next convention, but NADA can use some of your help now. Yes the convention is a highlight for NADA, but we need to run and function the rest of the time as an organization to pull off the convention. NADA would be pleased to invite you to become a member. We are also looking for some new board members so if anyone is interested in being a part of the excitement of NADA as a member or board member please see this link for more information.
http://forum.discusnada.org/showthread.php?832-Joining-NADA Thanks,

rsawest@yahoo.com
02-20-2015, 08:21 PM
NADA in the Chicagoland area? That's great news! I can't wait.

John_Nicholson
02-20-2015, 08:26 PM
NADA in the Chicagoland area? That's great news! I can't wait.

You need to make sure you make Willie show up.

-john

limige
02-20-2015, 08:59 PM
portage, IN?

close to Chicago without the headaches

Keith Perkins
02-20-2015, 09:06 PM
You need to make sure you make Willie show up.

-john

Yes, I owe him a drink.

Willie
02-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Yes, I owe him a drink.

That cinches it for me!!!!

Willie

Keith Perkins
02-20-2015, 10:32 PM
That cinches it for me!!!!

Willie

:D

Tautog
03-30-2015, 02:29 PM
so where? TX I hope...

John_Nicholson
03-30-2015, 02:53 PM
so where? TX I hope...

Nope 2016 is in the Chicago area. Should be the biggest and best show we have ever had.

-john

Kal-El
03-30-2015, 03:55 PM
Nope 2016 is in the Chicago area. Should be the biggest and best show we have ever had.

-john

+1, Indeed it will be one to remember.

DiscusBR
03-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Do we have a date?

John_Nicholson
03-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Not yet. Hotels do not really like to book to far in the future but we normally have it in June if that helps any.

-john

rickztahone
03-30-2015, 05:29 PM
Not yet. Hotels do not really like to book to far in the future but we normally have it in June if that helps any.

-john

hmm, that is weird. I work in a luxury hotel and our reservations department likes to get reservations in sooner rather than later to plan out our forecast for accounting and projections towards month to month incomes. You should try pushing them (not you personally) to see if they can commit to a date soon so that people can make plans way in advance. It would potentially get you more people to fly in. Just a thought.

John_Nicholson
03-30-2015, 05:41 PM
We have always been told no earlier that 12 to 14 months out.

-john

nc0gnet0
03-30-2015, 05:42 PM
We have always been told no earlier that 12 to 14 months out.

-john

Maybe he was under the impression it was THIS June lol.

rickztahone
03-30-2015, 05:45 PM
Maybe he was under the impression it was THIS June lol.

Indeed I was.....

indeed I was

lol. Of course I forgot it was next year and not this year. Always in even years right? Ughh. That does make sense now.

nc0gnet0
03-30-2015, 05:52 PM
Indeed I was.....

indeed I was

lol. Of course I forgot it was next year and not this year. Always in even years right? Ughh. That does make sense now.

LOL, we still have plenty of time to price shop..... :)

rickztahone
03-30-2015, 06:16 PM
LOL, we still have plenty of time to price shop..... :)

That is great. Our Ball rooms and our promenade rooms increase roughly about 65% in the summer months for the exact same venues and catering services. If any of you plan on getting married in a big place, do it on off months in non-pique season and you will save a whole bunch of mula. Of course an event like this you WANT to have in the summer because it is when most people travel and have time off school/work, so I see the need to aim for these months. Just a little insider info I suppose.

Altum Nut
03-30-2015, 09:55 PM
Hopefully it allows enough time for our Canadian dollar to be at par so I can bring home lots of show discus.

...Ralph

Discus-n00b
03-30-2015, 11:19 PM
That is great. Our Ball rooms and our promenade rooms increase roughly about 65% in the summer months for the exact same venues and catering services. If any of you plan on getting married in a big place, do it on off months in non-pique season and you will save a whole bunch of mula. Of course an event like this you WANT to have in the summer because it is when most people travel and have time off school/work, so I see the need to aim for these months. Just a little insider info I suppose.

Isn't that strange. I work in corporate AV rentals, me personally more convention center type but the company does lots of hotels as well and our off months here is summer time. Its almost dead in May June and July. Nice break for us but its no where near the workload of Jan - April and Aug - Nov. Keep in mind most of the meetings we do tend to be the quarterly meeting types so they fall on fiscal calenders rather than something like a wedding season and your Q1 and Q4 are the most loaded starting the new year and ending the last.

zergling
03-31-2015, 05:35 AM
Wife wants to visit Chicago again, PERFECT!

yogi
03-31-2015, 10:50 AM

Rick do you have any tips for negotiating the banquet. This seems to be the area where the hotel really likes to overcharge, and they always have that stipulation about no outside food. Thanks,

rickztahone
03-31-2015, 05:47 PM
Rick do you have any tips for negotiating the banquet. This seems to be the area where the hotel really likes to overcharge, and they always have that stipulation about no outside food. Thanks,

It really is a catch 22. Banquets are where the main money is at in these events and overcharging is the means to boost overall income. Depending on the venue, you can always haggle and bluff about leaving to another venue. However, I would caution doing this as you may run in to a venue like ours where we really do not care if person A or person B gets the date, because at the end of the day, there will be an event happening whether it is yours or not. This is from someone that doesn't work in that department mind you, but I know the managers and they have the luxury of being able to have this advantage. Our location is just too hot and we have waiting lists, so there is always someone in line waiting for you to say no.

My only advice is to haggle on small points with the banquet manager and if the establishment is also a hotel, then speaking with the general manager and informing him/her of what an event like this can potentially bring in can definitely have good sway for you. You have to keep in mind that you are actually a commodity in this transaction and you have to show them how much of a commodity you can be. Be organized, mention rough numbers and mention how this event may bring in additional income from other outlet usage (again, depends if this is a hotel as well or just site for events).

I have a feeling this will be a huge Nada event and in all honesty, they should all want your business. Mention past participation and go in to detail. You can even have shout-outs in that general city so that they become aware of said event and start somewhat of a "bid" for it. There really is no limit to the things you can do to get these venues interested in having your event.

I would highly recommend trying to get a venue within a hotel that has an accomodating ball room. This gives you more leverage to negotiate for better rates.

I will pull a banquet manager to the side and ask him for any recommendations as well. I hope that helps.

yogi
03-31-2015, 11:01 PM
Ricardo, thank you yes this did help. We had the banquet in the hotel at all three of our previous shows, and that is what we are planning to do for the next show.

RogueDiscus
06-27-2015, 06:55 PM
Sorry, I'm sure it's here somewhere. What are the dates?

Larry Bugg
06-27-2015, 07:04 PM
Sorry, I'm sure it's here somewhere. What are the dates?

The dates haven't been set yet. Should be decided real soon.

RogueDiscus
06-27-2015, 07:13 PM

Thanks Larry! I'm not as flakey as I thought!

Keith Perkins
06-28-2015, 09:17 AM

Fingers crossed.

rickztahone
06-28-2015, 09:55 PM
Fingers crossed.

Can't wait. I'm trying to convince the wife that we must go to the next one. She said, so long as they have something for the kids to do in the area she was fine with it :)

John_Nicholson
06-29-2015, 08:23 AM
Can't wait. I'm trying to convince the wife that we must go to the next one. She said, so long as they have something for the kids to do in the area she was fine with it :)

Not nailed down yet but the area we are looking at has plenty of stuff for the family to do.

-john

RogueDiscus
06-29-2015, 01:24 PM
I grew up in Milwaukee and remember taking trips to Chicago with YMCA or scout groups to see the museums and aquarium. I assume they're still there. The Museum of Science and Industry had a neat display, I think by Bell Labs, where you could stand on one side of the room talking into a phone to another person on the other side of the room, and actually see them on the TV screen in front of you! ;)

RogueDiscus
07-05-2015, 08:15 PM
So, anything like a BEST HOMEGROWN award or similar? Do we start planning now? (Totally blowing smoke, but wondering.)

John_Nicholson
07-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Yes any bred by exhibitor fish will compete inits normal class and in the bred by class. In my humble opinion it is the best award to win.

-john

LizStreithorst
07-06-2015, 03:26 AM
It is indeed the best award to win. So many people were against that award for so long. If I'd had my way home bred would have had it's own class.

RogueDiscus
07-06-2015, 05:15 PM
It is indeed the best award to win. So many people were against that award for so long. If I'd had my way home bred would have had it's own class.

Hey Liz, can you expand on this? Why were they against it?

John_Nicholson
07-06-2015, 05:17 PM
If you have a separate class for the bred by exhibitor stuff it makes it appear that those fish cannot compete with the "big boys/girls" in the industry.......and that is simply not true. The way we do it now we seem to have the best of both worlds. The fish is still judged with everything else but then it is also judged for the special class.

-john

RogueDiscus
07-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Thanks John! I admit I haven't followed NADA much before, but my wife's open to the idea of the trip next year. The possibilities are mind boggling :D :D

LizStreithorst
07-06-2015, 05:48 PM
I think that an award is good enough for now, but if if we have an increase in bred by entries y'all should consider having a class. They could still be judged in the regular classes. As it stands now, there aren't enough entries to warrant a class. First year I think there were only two entries other that the bunch I brought. I don't know haw many were entered last time.

John_Nicholson
07-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Not sure of the total number but it was a good bit higher than that...lol.

-john

yogi
07-06-2015, 10:26 PM
There might of been 4 entries in 2012 and 10 entries in 2014.

John_Nicholson
07-07-2015, 07:52 AM
10 to 12 was the number I had in my head.

-john

Skip
07-07-2015, 08:33 AM
can't wait for the next show!!

LizStreithorst
07-07-2015, 09:15 AM
That's pretty good! I didn't have anything to take last year because the virus all but wiped me out. I might have one or two next year if grow out continues to go well.

monching
07-28-2015, 08:57 AM
Hi Matt, when we say healthy discus we are referring to a fish which literally glows. It will be big, beautiful, full of color, nicely fleshed out with nice rounded foreheads and a bright, clear eye. Something like this...

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7371/16554841212_5e31c6b701_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rdTTwL)[/url] (https://flic.kr/p/rdTTwL)

or this...

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8636/16080601023_996a3be80e_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/quZhrM) [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/129594174@N08/] (https://flic.kr/p/quZhrM)

I wish I can have some of this beauties:thumbsup:

Keith Perkins
07-28-2015, 10:46 AM
I wish I can have some of this beauties:thumbsup:

Come to NADA in Chicago next year, there'll be a ballroom full of them available.

DISCUS STU
07-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Come to NADA in Chicago next year, there'll be a ballroom full of them available.

Can you post info. on this event?

Keith Perkins
07-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Can you post info. on this event?

Easily, there's a whole sub-section here on SD on it.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?362-North-American-Discus-Show-2016

2016 NADA Discus Show-Chicago

Plans are underway for the 2016 NADA Discus Show. We’re proud to announce that the 2016 show will be hosted in Chicago at the Westin Lombard Hotel on July 7th – July 10th. Stayed tuned to this page for upcoming announcements and the opportunity to register to attend the show!

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/pub/media/1526/wes1526ex.119534_xx.jpg

monching
07-28-2015, 01:08 PM
Easily, there's a whole sub-section here on SD on it.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?362-North-American-Discus-Show-2016

2016 NADA Discus Show-Chicago

Plans are underway for the 2016 NADA Discus Show. We’re proud to announce that the 2016 show will be hosted in Chicago at the Westin Lombard Hotel on July 7th – July 10th. Stayed tuned to this page for upcoming announcements and the opportunity to register to attend the show!

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/pub/media/1526/wes1526ex.119534_xx.jpg

I wonder how much will it cost me to be there?

monching
07-28-2015, 01:10 PM
around CAD$3000 all inclusive in two days??

nc0gnet0
07-28-2015, 02:54 PM
around CAD$3000 all inclusive in two days??

How on earth did you come up with that figure?????

monching
07-28-2015, 03:01 PM
How on earth did you come up with that figure?????

round trip air fare, hotel accommodation, food, taxi fare and discus pairs that I will buy.

John_Nicholson
07-28-2015, 03:04 PM
round trip air fare, hotel accommodation, food, taxi fare and discus pairs that I will buy.

LOL....Regardless of what it cost it will be the best money that you have ever spent. That is why our repeat business is so good.

-john

monching
07-28-2015, 03:09 PM
LOL....Regardless of what it cost it will be the best money that you have ever spent. That is why our repeat business is so good.

-john

:thumbsup:

nc0gnet0
07-28-2015, 08:21 PM

What figure did you use for hotel accommodations? We have negotiated a reduced rate for the event. As for Airfare and what discus you will buy, lol, on that we have no control.....

rickztahone
07-28-2015, 08:25 PM

well that aint fair, the discus cut in to that budget significantly, lol.

monching
07-29-2015, 07:35 AM
What figure did you use for hotel accommodations? We have negotiated a reduced rate for the event. As for Airfare and what discus you will buy, lol, on that we have no control.....

Bro. first of all I'll spend it as US$ and not CAD$ which is lower than US$ if ever I decided to attend, second I've checked the air fare and the lowest I got is $307(one way) So this two reasons alone will tell us roughly CAD$3000 is a must for me to bring home at least 3 pairs of this magnificent specimen, not to mention import/export/custom tax etc.
Ahh...Discus..

John_Nicholson
07-29-2015, 08:41 AM
Bro. first of all I'll spend it as US$ and not CAD$ which is lower than US$ if ever I decided to attend, second I've checked the air fare and the lowest I got is $307(one way) So this two reasons alone will tell us roughly CAD$3000 is a must for me to bring home at least 3 pairs of this magnificent specimen, not to mention import/export/custom tax etc.
Ahh...Discus..

I promise that if you make the trip you will not regret it. Like I have always said it is the most fun that you can have with your clothes on.....

-john

Keith Perkins
07-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Ahh...Discus..

Hotel and food will be less than airfare, so you have a heck of a budget left for fish.

monching
07-29-2015, 03:28 PM
Hotel and food will be less than airfare, so you have a heck of a budget left for fish.

How much do you think will it cost me for 3 pairs at least?

nc0gnet0
07-29-2015, 03:34 PM
How much do you think will it cost me for 3 pairs at least?

Show fish do not come in pairs........

John_Nicholson
07-29-2015, 04:13 PM
I sent you a PM on this because I did not want to post back in the other thread....LOL. Anyway while show fish are not normally sold in pairs the show fish that you can buy are normally higher quality that the fish that you can get in a normal pair purchase. They are well worth the price and i am also fairly sure that there will be some pairs for sale even if the are not at the show.

-john

Loosir
07-29-2015, 04:24 PM
Hey NADA vets,
For us first timers who have home grow-outs but not home bred fishies, do we bring them but they don't compete? should they stay at home? Can we sell them? do we bring our own tanks? etc, etc
Is there a good thread about when and how to bring fish?
Thanks
Geoff

John_Nicholson
07-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Please bring them and show them. That is what makes this thing fun. When the show get closer you will be able to register your fish so we know how many tanks to setup. You can absolutely sell them.

-john

Quintin
07-29-2015, 04:38 PM
Good question.

A return ticket from south Africa to new York will cost me R9000 roughly 1000$.how much to get from new York to Chicago?and what does the hotel cost for the 2 nites.im trying to see if I can make it for this on.dout it but if not next one deffinately

Loosir
07-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Awesome, I can't wait to enter the category:

"bought at 2.5" from Hans"

;)
Thanks,
Geoff

Larry Bugg
07-29-2015, 05:26 PM
Awesome, I can't wait to enter the category:

"bought at 2.5" from Hans"

;)
Thanks,
Geoff

Absolutely, bring some fish. For clarification.........We have a class called Bred by Exhibitor. In order to enter your discus in this class the discus must have come from parents that you bred. If the discus you bring do not meet this requirement then it would be entered in one of the regular classes which are Solid, Spotted, Fine Line, Thick Line, Open and Wild.

John_Nicholson
07-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Good question.

A return ticket from south Africa to new York will cost me R9000 roughly 1000$.how much to get from new York to Chicago?and what does the hotel cost for the 2 nites.im trying to see if I can make it for this on.dout it but if not next one deffinately

I jumped on kayak.com and looked around a little bit. I could not get a price all the way out to July 16 but looked in January and saw several that were less than $200 one way,

Quintin
07-29-2015, 06:42 PM
I really have to come soon.and trying to work out how much to save up.looking real costly for me the wife and 2 kids.but has to be done.how often is nada every 2 years?.i will do it even if it cost me R50 000 or 6000$.it would be really educational for me.and id finally get to meet john.pat.bill and the person that told me I have clown puke pebbles in my first tank.and mabey pinch of some cash for a show discus or 2.

John_Nicholson
07-29-2015, 07:44 PM
I hope you can make it work. Yes currently we do it every two years. It is simple too much work to do it every year.

-john

Disgirl
07-29-2015, 07:59 PM
I really have to come soon.and trying to work out how much to save up.looking real costly for me the wife and 2 kids.but has to be done.how often is nada every 2 years?.i will do it even if it cost me R50 000 or 6000$.it would be really educational for me.and id finally get to meet john.pat.bill and the person that told me I have clown puke pebbles in my first tank.and mabey pinch of some cash for a show discus or 2.

And Quintin, you could finally get those cones from me that you want. No high postage this way! I hope to be a vendor again.
Barb

yogi
07-29-2015, 11:28 PM
Can't you just drive to Buffalo and fly Buffalo to Chicago. Then when you fly back to Buffalo you just drive with your fish to Toronto.

Ahh...Discus..

monching
07-30-2015, 07:10 PM
Can't you just drive to Buffalo and fly Buffalo to Chicago. Then when you fly back to Buffalo you just drive with your fish to Toronto.

I'd rather drive if I still need to go to Buffalo Bro. Toronto to Buffalo will be around 2 hrs. Drive. Plus the waiting, check in and the flight it self. Drve is about 7 to 8 hrs. Will see Bro. It's a little bit far anyway so I still have ample time to prepare.

Larry Bugg
07-30-2015, 07:34 PM
Well driving is the way to go. I drove to Austin (16 hours). Driving makes it really easy to take and bring home fish.

Discus-n00b
07-30-2015, 07:46 PM
Well driving is the way to go. I drove to Austin (16 hours). Driving makes it really easy to take and bring home fish.

Agreed. Unless you get a speeding ticket on the way home.....lol (I know, my own fault!)

Right now my plan is to probably drive to Chicago as well. Like Larry said, really easy to take and bring fish back and kind gives you some ease of access to explore if you need to stretch your legs from the hotel without renting a car.

jawfish
07-30-2015, 08:47 PM
I'm driving down. I've got a couple of people joining me. Plus if I pick up some fish like others have mentionned, it will be easier.

Cheers
Fred

John_Nicholson
07-30-2015, 10:02 PM
We will be driving up also. Only 15 or so hours from here.

-john

Eddie
08-02-2015, 03:55 AM
If everything works out, I should be there. It all depends on the job demands. I really need to make it to this next show.

Eddie

Second Hand Pat
08-02-2015, 07:51 AM
If everything works out, I should be there. It all depends on the job demands. I really need to make it to this next show.

Eddie

Look who popped in :D:D nice to see you Eddie and yes you do. Time to meet the little man in person.
Pat

John_Nicholson
08-02-2015, 11:08 AM
It would be great to see you again. I hope it works out.

-john

rickztahone
08-02-2015, 11:53 AM

Eddie

Well that's a nice Avatar to glance upon :)

Thanks for stopping by Eddie.

Keith Perkins
08-02-2015, 04:51 PM

Eddie

Damn, he does still exist.

Altum Nut
08-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Damn, he does still exist.

Eddie is one of many on SD I always wanted to meet and was in SD full force posting mode when I joined in 2009. Heck I follow the many post on FB of his cooking creations and put on 10lbs just looking at them. Enjoyed the many family photos from recent trip in Italy on FB.
Hope you can make it Nada 2016 buddy...and hope someone can also drag Rodrigo back in after getting hitched.

...Ralph

brewmaster15
08-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Eddie,
First beer is on me bud...been way too long!

al

Skip
08-03-2015, 08:43 AM
less than a year.. can't wait!

Keith Perkins
08-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Eddie is one of many on SD I always wanted to meet and was in SD full force posting mode when I joined in 2009. Heck I follow the many post on FB of his cooking creations and put on 10lbs just looking at them. Enjoyed the many family photos from recent trip in Italy on FB.
Hope you can make it Nada 2016 buddy...and hope someone can also drag Rodrigo back in after getting hitched.

...Ralph

I knew there was a reason I don't venture onto FB hardly at all. I hear you on Eddie being one of the major posters back in late 2009 too, seems like you and I became SD members pretty close to the same time Ralph.

It will be great to put faces to the so many names I know from SD!

Eddie
08-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Haha. You guys are too funny.