PDA

View Full Version : One sump, two 75's side by side...ideas on set-up ? please :-)

Boyd Luth
01-28-2015, 06:29 PM
Good day all, I have you tubed, googled, an reviewed 36 pages of post on filtration, and have come up with an idea. Any other suggestions please. This all began with an old sump, an Eheim 1048 ( 156 gph @ 4' head ). I have Stendker Discus from a reputable Dealer here in Florida, and want to share one sump. The two 75's are side by side, right against each other....my idea would be to somehow connect the water flow ( tanks are not drilled ) maybe a water U tube ? then an overflow-box at one end of a 75, draining to the sump, and the discharge from the pump in the sump to the opposite tank.
I have on my 160 a refugium that has worked very well, and plan on using this same principle on this set-up, low flow for Aplants, putting my sponge filters down in the sump, heaters, etc. In addition, I am also running the HOB Aquaclear 110 on each 75. I just want to utilize the sump that has been sitting in the garage, thanking you in advance for your help, Boyd.

boonseong
01-28-2015, 10:48 PM
Hmm, 2 pumps and two overflows into the same sump. Just have to make sure there is enough capacity in the sump in the case of a vacuum break during a power outage.

Boyd Luth
01-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Yes indeed :-) that is what is great about reading Forums, and researching....also, one sump, one pump, and one overflow....just have to figure a way to tie the two tanks, side by side together.....I read a post by Al, aka Brewmaster on this subject, his tanks were top, and bottom, where mine are side by side, thanks for posting. Boyd.

MKD
01-29-2015, 03:27 PM
drill hole 1 on each tank (best is same heighth) and connect them with pvc/flex hose. Pump water into tank 1 >>>>>water goes to tank 2 >>>>>>tank 2 drain hose to sump...

Boyd Luth
01-29-2015, 06:18 PM
thanks MKD, really do not want to drill....gotta be an easier way, these tanks are up & running with Stendkers in them......what about, a U Tube ( Overflow tube ) between ( one end in each tank ) and the overflow box on one tank , the discharge of the pump ( from the sump ) to the opposite tank...I am wondering if anyone has had success with this set up ? seems like I have seen this in a pet shop on rows of tanks ? If not, I may just stick with what I have, just have this extra sump, be nice to utilize it, lol, anyone have any experience ?

Second Hand Pat
01-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Hi Boyd, I am fairly sure I have seen this setup with adjacent sumps. Personally I do not get a good feeling about this setup. My concern is how do the U tubes work when the power goes out and the water drains into the sump and affects the water level in the tanks. I think you would also have double the water draining into the sump and maybe risk overflowing the sump.

Tankster
01-29-2015, 07:59 PM
can one of the 75's be elevated slightly higher then the other? You could do a gravity feed with a 4 or 5 inch difference in height. It might not be the most visually appealing but would work.

Sump pumps into tank one -> 4 or 5 U tubes gravity flow into tank 2 (which is 4-5 inches below tank one) -> into sump overflow. If you have a power outage the gravity flow will stop when you drain the 4-5 inches of water. It will flow through tank 2 and into the sump.

Boyd Luth
01-29-2015, 10:19 PM
Thanks Pat & Greg :-) One tank is slightly higher than the other. I would also use a check valve in the discharge of the sump pump, and always perform a simulated power outage, to visually check that the sump holds enough water without flooding, and that the system restarts without damage to pumps, tank, or Home :-). I shut down systems while feeding daily.....I will experiment, and advise, again thank you, and Pat, " Big Boy " continues to rule !!!

Second Hand Pat
01-29-2015, 10:23 PM
Great news Boyd :)

Boyd Luth
02-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Update :-)....finally, worked out, with a little tweaking, here and there....I ended up with the tanks, side by side, two 1.5 " clear Utube ( in case one loses siphon )..... then an overflowbox on the second tank, draining to the sump....very happy, now to add plants, heater, lights, yeah !!!!

rickztahone
02-14-2015, 10:07 PM
Update :-)....finally, worked out, with a little tweaking, here and there....I ended up with the tanks, side by side, two 1.5 " clear Utube ( in case one loses siphon )..... then an overflowbox on the second tank, draining to the sump....very happy, now to add plants, heater, lights, yeah !!!!

Very nice. Please share a video when you get a chance. Sounds very interesting.

ericNH
02-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Yes, I second that. Plz do share pics or a video. I'd like to get a clearer picture of how you managed this.

Boyd Luth
03-25-2015, 04:23 PM
Sorry, I will post a video, soon :-) all tanks/Discus, doing well.....just have to figure the easiest way to post/insert video :-) Thanks, Boyd.

Mad357
04-14-2015, 10:52 PM
Hi Boyd, was wondering how ur sump was workin out. Was gonna suggest one pump & tee off to both tanks & have 2 overflows back to sump. As others have mentioned, make sure u have enough sump capacity in case of power outage. I made a sump ( 20 long) & overflow box( acrylic) & still have enough flow & capacity to run another tank. Maybe when my fish grow out, time will tell. Looks like u figured out. Hope all is well.
Mike d.