PDA

View Full Version : to late or am I doing well

a.person61
01-30-2015, 05:53 AM
Hi guys,
I've started my 6 foot 540 L tank, so fare it's cycling with 8 very healthy rummy nose and 2 other fish idk how to spell there name. I'm using a natural colored black gravel, was going to use sand but would of cost me over 500 bucks. Gravel is just under 1 inch I'll be adding 10 more kg for landscaping purposes.in the tank is a small peace of driftwood with some type of anubis growing on it with another type growing around it.
However I made a very large order to my pet store and here it is 2 german rams, 2 bolivian rams, 1 45 cm manzeta, 1 40 cm manzeta, 2 large bunches of java moss to tie on the manzeta wood, 8 anubis in pots, 13 large glowlight tetra, 4 rummy nose and a air pump for a 540 L tank with 6 foot of air stone.
filter is working awesome at this point and i've also added a U.V light filter. Did I mention I'm going to be getting 2 adult angle fish from my mate. There's also more to get in store like emergency heater medical things etc.
Over kill maybe or...

Disgirl
01-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Now that sounds like a wonderful community tank! Good luck with it and come here to SD to the "other fish" sections here to let us know how it is going and post pics. If you need help, there are lots of us discus keepers who keep tanks of other fish, like myself, who would be happy to help. Stay in touch, OK?
Barb

jmf3460
01-30-2015, 11:49 AM
OP,

There are lots of people on this site with a vast knowledge of planted tanks. Because like Disgirl said, many of us have other tanks with other types of fish. I myself have mostly planted community tanks like the one you are planning, with the exception of one large discus tank (which will likely become 2 later :)) Be sure to check out www.theplantedtank.net and join the forum there for more specific plant questions. I am not downing this forum but it has a focus on discus. TPT has a focus on plants and community planted tanks. Your tank sounds great looking forward to pictures.

DISCUS STU
01-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Did I miss something? Are you planning on adding Discus. I hate to sound like a one note but this is a site about Discus keeping.

BTW you can use river or lake sand. Buying expensive silica isn't necessary. Just wash it down with hot water.

a.person61
01-30-2015, 06:15 PM
I am going to be adding 8 adult discus as soon as the cycle is done pics comming soon. I'm so sorry forgot to add the discus part! Question is I tend to over stock... a lot and over do things... am I doing that atm? anything I'm getting going to downgrade my chances with discus? Thanks-Austin

DISCUS STU
01-31-2015, 10:53 AM
The setup sounds good at 540 (142 gallons) that's a large tank for 8 Discus to enjoy. Gravel is never recommended, it always accumulates harmful bacteria to which Discus are extremely sensitive, much more so than almost any other type of fish. the gravel is contra indicated, absolutely for all Discus, especially if they are small.

I have a planted tank and have used river or lake sand which is plentiful and of course best of all, free. Ya know Discus in the wild live with that stuff.

Angle fish or Angel fish? Plan on doing plentiful and frequent water changes. And lastly what type of primary filter?