PDA

View Full Version : Question on 'vacuuming' with a bulkhead for water changes

aalbina
01-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Hi All,

I'm considering drilling the back of my tank and putting in a bulkhead for quick drain water changes. I'll probably go with John's design of a pvc pipe in the tank that I can rotate to change the level - thanks John. My question is - how do you vacuum the tank out? Right now I use an external pump to empty the tank and a clear hose to vacuum everything out and clean it real well. With a bulkhead - I was wondering if is possible to put a small nipple on the output to which I can attach a siphon hose. Would the suction of the water rushing out the main drain line provide enough pressure to vacuum the tank? Something like this: the left side of the drawing would be coming out of the tank, the right side would be going to the drain.

Adam

Northwoods Discus
01-30-2015, 01:39 PM
I just stick a hose that fits into the bulkhead and vacuum away. The water will flow easily. Don't glue in your pvc to the bulkhead and you can take it on and off.

MKD
01-30-2015, 02:24 PM
Same here. Just flexible hose long enough to reach both ends from bulkhead. Turn ball valve then stick hose in bulkhead then vacuum and remove hose when you are done.

aalbina
02-06-2015, 12:56 PM
Awesome - sounds like a plan - thank you both!

Adam