PDA

View Full Version : water change plumbing

slp
02-03-2015, 10:06 AM
I am trying to think of a simple way to run some plumbing to accommodate the frequent water changes the discus need. I am currently using a python for my 20 gal tank and hooking it to the kitchen faucet. I would like to use another source to prevent wear Nad tear on it. I was thinking of running a line from the outside faucet, but would have no way to heat the water before it goes into the tank. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
steve

rickztahone
02-04-2015, 12:23 AM
Do you have a source of water pipes you can tap in to that is close to your fish tank? I tapped in to my H/C water source and used a temperature valve used in showers to set my prime water temp. This way I just turn a knob and have perfect 82F water coming out of tap. It makes it so much easier to do water changes this way.

If not, the only other thing I can think of is to actually age your water by putting it in a large tote like a brute trash can or something. Since you have a small tank, you can do with those small 40g totes as well. Aging water is preferable to straight tap IMO only though, lol. If you do go that route, remember to put a heater in there to match tank and also an air stone.