PDA

View Full Version : K1 Media

torch
02-03-2015, 02:49 PM
Added K1 medias to my 90 gallon tank using DIY 1.5 liter plastic bottles (Portland Spring). Half filled two 1.5 liter bottles with K1 media using air stones. Its fluidizing very well more than 80% of media is moving already.

My 90 gallon currently running two ATI sponge V filters with only two 4.5 inch Discus.

I am planning to add more fish estimated eleven 4-5 inch size discus in coming months.

Is amount of k1 media describe along with my two sponge V enough to handle 11 fish (feeding 3x day with FDBW and Tera bits)?

I would like to take out both sponge V filter and just use the k1 moving bed, would that be enough to handle 11 fish?

If its not enough thinking using a 6 quart container for the k1.

Anyone using just single 1.5 bottle of k1 to filtrate this many fish?

Questions above regarding fully established k1 and sponge media and its handling of bioload. I know right now its not enough as it has to cycle and have enough bioload.

torch
02-03-2015, 03:06 PM
According to Diyfishkeepr bio media cal 90 gallon needs 4.5 liters of k1. I am not sure this is accurate as it should depend upon bioload in the tank. Question can how many liters of k1 need to handle bio loads of 11 four to 5 inch Discus 3x feeding daily ( not feeding beefheart).

timmy82
02-04-2015, 05:53 AM
A document I found written by Evolution Aqua who make K1 say that 1ltr will sustain 5g of food a day. My self I wouldn't just sole rely on K1 I would have a sponge filter in their also unless you plan on doing mass cleaning all the time?