PDA

View Full Version : Killing me, wishlist grows

Discus-n00b
02-06-2015, 02:14 AM
This was just announced. Crazy!! Insane stills camera, plus full HD video, and timelapse INSIDE the camera. 50 mega pixels is like, amazing for print work. Its pretty revolutionary to be honest. If they have nailed high ISO and shadow noise then they might of hit a home run. I feel like its a sort of niche product but it sounds amazing. We're talking about printing billboards here. I still want one. And that lens....wooooo.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/unveiled-canons-new-506mp-5ds-5ds-r-dslrs-and-11-24mm-l-series-lens?cm_mmc=EML-_-NewAnnouncement-CanonSamsung-_-150205-_-Body_Explora_Canon-5DS-ReadMoreText

What I hope happens is this is such a niche product that they might have to make something inbetween the MK III and this in the meantime driving the prices of the current models down. Having another body is on my list. I still want this new one though.

This announcement is like Dodge announcing their Hellcat engine. Its going to start an arms race in the camera industry.

rickztahone
02-06-2015, 02:23 AM
Wow, a nice 11-24. It isn't too fast but it is fast enough for wide angle photography. I would hate to deal with the file sizes of this beast though, unless I did large print jobs. It is more difficult to have great ISO management with such high count sensors. However, I have never judged a camera based on stats until I see it in a real world scenario. Thanks for sharing.

Discus-n00b
02-06-2015, 02:29 AM
I tend to agree that's why I said its probably going to be more of a niche body. If they nailed the ISO at such high levels it will be pretty awesome, I think that's what most everyone I've seen is waiting on finding out. Can't wait to see some test shots and stuff from this.

pcsb23
02-06-2015, 08:52 AM
From what I understand this is an upscale of the 7DII sensor, and if so that's a shame. There was a rumour that they were going to use a Sony made sensor which would really have made a massive improvement in DR. The biggest issues here will be lens resolving power and PC/Mac processing power. We started to see lenses hot their resolving power when the 16MP DX sensors came out, when Nikon brought out the 36MP sensor that showed many more lenses up. Now they have the 24MP DX sensor many DX lenses are rubbish on it and they need good (read expensive) glass.

Diffraction limits get hit very early too, somewhere between f5.6 and f6.3 I think. Canon are marketing this very much as a niche camera, mainly landscape and studio, but I'm not convinced it will be a great landscape camera simply because the majority are shot at high f numbers such as f8, f11 etc ... of course the DoF on the new 11-24mm lens @ 11mm will be pretty decent ;)

I've been toying with getting a D810 (or maybe a D800 used) as I mainly shoot landscapes, but diffraction is a real issue with that. Nikon are rumoured to be bring out a 50MP+ DSLR but I just couldn't get excited over it, now if it was medium format ...

No doubt there will be resolution a plenty though.

Sorry, didn't want to put a dampener on it - I'd wait to see what the 5DMkIV brings, I suspect that could have some game changing attributes.

brewmaster15
02-06-2015, 09:03 AM
MATT,
Its pretty bad I know when we see this new technology...its jumping in leapsvand bounds...something is always there we want!

For me..Pentax Ricoh just announced they will have their first full frame Dslr ...and are still making it backwards compatible with all pentax lens...in the pentax world..this is huge...I want it badly...sigh...probably wont happen for me for a while...but its good to dream.

Second Hand Pat
02-06-2015, 09:09 AM
While I do not really know enough to get really excited over this but can you image the storage needs of a camera like this. It will be massive.

rickztahone
02-06-2015, 11:51 AM
From what I understand this is an upscale of the 7DII sensor, and if so that's a shame. There was a rumour that they were going to use a Sony made sensor which would really have made a massive improvement in DR. The biggest issues here will be lens resolving power and PC/Mac processing power. We started to see lenses hot their resolving power when the 16MP DX sensors came out, when Nikon brought out the 36MP sensor that showed many more lenses up. Now they have the 24MP DX sensor many DX lenses are rubbish on it and they need good (read expensive) glass.

Diffraction limits get hit very early too, somewhere between f5.6 and f6.3 I think. Canon are marketing this very much as a niche camera, mainly landscape and studio, but I'm not convinced it will be a great landscape camera simply because the majority are shot at high f numbers such as f8, f11 etc ... of course the DoF on the new 11-24mm lens @ 11mm will be pretty decent ;)

I've been toying with getting a D810 (or maybe a D800 used) as I mainly shoot landscapes, but diffraction is a real issue with that. Nikon are rumoured to be bring out a 50MP+ DSLR but I just couldn't get excited over it, now if it was medium format ...

No doubt there will be resolution a plenty though.

Sorry, didn't want to put a dampener on it - I'd wait to see what the 5DMkIV brings, I suspect that could have some game changing attributes.

I've used the D800 and it was such a nice body to play with. I didn't use it on anything important, but the brief time that I handled it, it was really great. I wouldn't hesitate to get that body. I have not heard enough of the D810 though. I love how Nikon uses Sony sensors better than Sony! How is that possible? lol. Till this day, the DR that I get from my a99 is on a whole other level from any other body I have ever used before.

Discus-n00b
02-06-2015, 12:22 PM

Oh I fully agree with this. I want to see what they do with an upgraded 5D Mk IV or an upgraded 7D. I also agree with the Sony sensor, that was the general hope among Canon users when this was hinted at.

pcsb23
02-06-2015, 12:50 PM
I've used the D800 and it was such a nice body to play with. I didn't use it on anything important, but the brief time that I handled it, it was really great. I wouldn't hesitate to get that body. I have not heard enough of the D810 though. I love how Nikon uses Sony sensors better than Sony! How is that possible? lol. Till this day, the DR that I get from my a99 is on a whole other level from any other body I have ever used before.The D810 improves on every aspect of the D800 - I think one of the reasons Nikon get a bit more out of it is that Sony for some bizarre reason tamper with the raw file ...

While I do not really know enough to get really excited over this but can you image the storage needs of a camera like this. It will be massive.Typically the D8xx series produce around 45Mb files when shooting raw ... so that would be around 60 -65 mb for the Canon @ 14 bits

MATT,
Its pretty bad I know when we see this new technology...its jumping in leapsvand bounds...something is always there we want!

For me..Pentax Ricoh just announced they will have their first full frame Dslr ...and are still making it backwards compatible with all pentax lens...in the pentax world..this is huge...I want it badly...sigh...probably wont happen for me for a while...but its good to dream.It is massive and it opens up a massive pool of options lens wise - my old SLR uses Pentax mount lenses, one of the reasons I bought it was to use Pentax glass, they were superb! Be great to see how they perform on digital.

Oh I fully agree with this. I want to see what they do with an upgraded 5D Mk IV or an upgraded 7D. I also agree with the Sony sensor, that was the general hope among Canon users when this was hinted at.Canon need to pull something out of the hat sensor wise - it would have made a whole heap of sense using Sony sensors. If the step from the 5DMkIII to 5DMkIV is as big as the MkII to MkIII was it could well be worth waiting for. Canon do have a massive advantage though, they have the ability to use dual processors, whereas the Nikon architecture currently restricts them to one - so Canon should be able to get ahead with on sensor phase detect AF and frame rates ... now that would be something.

Discus-n00b
02-06-2015, 12:57 PM
I want them to put 4k video on it as well LOL. Hopefully by the time that happens the 4k monitors will be cheaper than what they are currently. And I'd rather not buy a 1DC and 100% NOT a Red, that's literally like buying a car.

My guess would be that Sony is willing to sell them sensors, but I'm not totally sure of that. Could be a reason why its not there?

pcsb23
02-06-2015, 01:06 PM
I never thought about video, (I'm not much into video) but yeah it would make sense for Canon to do that. I don't think it will be too long before the 4K monitors are affordable, I think Dell already do one.

Sony seem to have the magic juice flowing with sensor tech, I can't believe for a minute that they wouldn't want to sell them to another large user - financially it would make massive sense to me. I guess Canon have their reasons, maybe it's pride, who knows ...

Discus-n00b
02-06-2015, 03:06 PM
Agreed, what I can't believe is why Canon is lagging so far behind both Sony and Nikon in sensor technology. I understand Sony, they sell their sensor products/technology to a wider market therefore need more incremental jumps in technology. What I hope this means is that Canon will make a giant leap forward once they do update if they don't start using Sony. They know theres more to a good camera but pair that good camera with a good sensor and the possibilities are endless.

Doesn't Nikon buy Sony sensors among others? I see two possibilities coming. Either Canon will make a leap in their own sensors or will be forced to buy from someone like Sony. The gap is increasing not closing so something will have to happen.

Discus-n00b
02-06-2015, 03:43 PM
There are so many features I like on this camera, that I want on a camera.....hoping they put them in on the 5D4. Motorized mirror, shutter release delay, timelapse in the camera output as a video file, crazy resolution, latest and greatest autofocus, the ability to shoot crazy large resolutions or more normal resolutions, etc.

Like other Canon users I'm concerned about the noise level at high ISOs. What I'm interested to see is if when scaled down to a more normal size will the 5DS's 50 megapixels look better. Aka taking a 50 megapixel image and scaling it down to a 20-21 size will it hold any advantage? This is what I am interested to see in test photos. Canon's DR still seems to lack as this new model has DR comparable to the 5D3.

Here are some sample photos from Japan already. There aren't to many high ISO shots yet though. We know the low ISO shots will be insane and good quality, its the other end we are worried about. The night time 800 ISO shot looks pretty good though. The detail in these photos is pretty crazy. And the videos look good.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=14453

Like I said, if anything maybe it will bring 5D3 prices down and I can upgrade to that while I wait on the 4. I still drool at shoot resolutions that large.

pcsb23
02-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Agreed, what I can't believe is why Canon is lagging so far behind both Sony and Nikon in sensor technology. I understand Sony, they sell their sensor products/technology to a wider market therefore need more incremental jumps in technology. What I hope this means is that Canon will make a giant leap forward once they do update if they don't start using Sony. They know theres more to a good camera but pair that good camera with a good sensor and the possibilities are endless.Yep sure are.

Doesn't Nikon buy Sony sensors among others? I see two possibilities coming. Either Canon will make a leap in their own sensors or will be forced to buy from someone like Sony. The gap is increasing not closing so something will have to happen.Nikon use their own sensor in one of the DX bodies, the Toshiba in others and all of the full frame are Sony.

There are so many features I like on this camera, that I want on a camera.....hoping they put them in on the 5D4. Motorized mirror, shutter release delay, timelapse in the camera output as a video file, crazy resolution, latest and greatest autofocus, the ability to shoot crazy large resolutions or more normal resolutions, etc.

Like other Canon users I'm concerned about the noise level at high ISOs. What I'm interested to see is if when scaled down to a more normal size will the 5DS's 50 megapixels look better. Aka taking a 50 megapixel image and scaling it down to a 20-21 size will it hold any advantage? This is what I am interested to see in test photos. Canon's DR still seems to lack as this new model has DR comparable to the 5D3.

Here are some sample photos from Japan already. There aren't to many high ISO shots yet though. We know the low ISO shots will be insane and good quality, its the other end we are worried about. The night time 800 ISO shot looks pretty good though. The detail in these photos is pretty crazy. And the videos look good.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=14453

Like I said, if anything maybe it will bring 5D3 prices down and I can upgrade to that while I wait on the 4. I still drool at shoot resolutions that large.There are some images on the UK canon site and they do seem nice. To answer your question re downsizing, yes it will improve things in terms of noise. At 100% crops of the 24MP image from my camera compared to a 100% crop form a D810 at ISO 3200 there is more noise in the D810 image, down size to 24Mp and they are the same.

Of course if you really want the best body to shoot at stupid high ISO's (and I do sometimes) then it has to be the D4S or the 1DX - both are insane! Also noticed today the new D5 being rumoured with an AF system with 173 points ...

Discus-n00b
02-23-2015, 12:25 AM
So to add to this. Rumor today is that there will be an announcement from Canon in Q3 or Q4 of 2015 regarding what many think will be a new 5D (Could be called the 5DX but if its named that it tells me they might sneak in a 5DIV since the X would be yet another specialty camera). The test body specs out are a little disappointing overall for what most wanted in a 5D IV so some suspect the IV may still be lurking out there somewhere. The specs show it should be better for low light, but megapixels have dropped (probably because they think if you want more you can buy one of their new 50mp bodies listed above and they will be trying to put out a camera to compete with the Sony A7S.), 12fps, and 4k video has been added. It will also require the new Cfast memory cards....currently crazy expensive however that tells me they might be serious about 4k in the body. Lower megapixels for better low light capabilities and higher ISOs.....the thing will basically be able to see in the dark. To me this new rumor screams something to compete with the Sony A7s, though I think Canon is a bit late to the party.

I am a Canon nut, have been since I got into the hobby of photography however unless the sensors change or they come out with one heck of a 5DIV announcement I might just be looking around at the D810 type or Sony A7s. It just burns me so bad though, I have never enjoyed the feeling of a Nikon in my hands. I feel like they are blocky and the ergonomics on them are terrible to me personally. And I have my Canon lenses already. Sigh. I actually might rent them soon just to play with them, hold them, see what the fuss is about. My camera body is aging, been wanting to upgrade but was holding out hope for a 5DIV announcement. Even the 5D3 is aging these days. Come on Canon. It really does make me feel sick thinking about having to switch up the brands due to having to get all new equipment. We'll see I guess, frustrating.

rickztahone
02-23-2015, 06:22 PM
I just replied to you on another thread, but wanted to say that the 6D was very impressive to me wrt iso management. Of course it isn't a D4s or 1DX but still, a great low light body. The Sony A7s is one I have actually not shot with, but I did ponder getting it for a very long time. However, as it stands, I do not feel that my a99 is lacking in any way and the video capabilities aren't a huge concern to me. If I remember correctly though, the Sony A7s does not have internal HDMI output directly. I believe you need some kind of external device to be able to record in 4k. I really don't know much about video, but I believe that is what it was that made the Sony fall back in that category in comparison.

Discus-n00b
02-23-2015, 06:53 PM
I've thought about the 5DIII, its basically very very close to the 6D. I could get the 5DIII body (greymarket) for an insane good price now, but again....with hope of something just a bit better floating around I keep wanting to wait. I probably will wait, but I still want to rent the 810, just heard to much about it I want to see what the fuss is about.

Ideally I'd like to be able to afford a new body while keeping this old one. Especially by the time a new model comes out an I don't know how much an "ancient" 5D2 will be worth. Currently I guess it could pay for a nice piece of glass if I had another body. Its still very young shutter actuation wise (if you can believe it) so that's a good thing.

rickztahone
02-23-2015, 07:47 PM
I've thought about the 5DIII, its basically very very close to the 6D. I could get the 5DIII body (greymarket) for an insane good price now, but again....with hope of something just a bit better floating around I keep wanting to wait. I probably will wait, but I still want to rent the 810, just heard to much about it I want to see what the fuss is about.

Ideally I'd like to be able to afford a new body while keeping this old one. Especially by the time a new model comes out an I don't know how much an "ancient" 5D2 will be worth. Currently I guess it could pay for a nice piece of glass if I had another body. Its still very young shutter actuation wise (if you can believe it) so that's a good thing.

5DIII is a great body as well. I have only shot with it briefly and it was a nice body. I found it difficult to handle because I was so use to my layout, so half the time was spent trying to find stuff. Other than that, it was a great body with beautiful files.

SteveCA
02-23-2015, 09:15 PM
I shoot with a D800 and D3s and have been on a number of Landscape photo tours. Over the past 3 years, the number of canon shooters has rapidly diminished in favor of the D800/810. The primary reason given was dynamic range and low light performance and of course, mega pixels. With this new 5d, the megapixel issue is gone but I would pay very close attention to dynamic range and noise. The tours I've been on involved post processing and I can tell you that the few remaining Canon shooters were astonished at how much better the nikon dynamic range was and how superior the color noise (or lack thereof) was on the Nikon D800/810. The tour leader, Marc Adamus was an avid Canon shooter until the D800 came out. He sold everything Canon and switched after trying the D800. I have other friends that have done the same.

The good news is that their canon lenses sold quickly and at very high prices. So if this new mark IV doesn't live up to the hype, you can sell your stuff for good money and make the switch. I can confirm that the Nikon 14-24, 24-70 are fantastic lenses for Landscape photography.

Discus-n00b
02-23-2015, 10:37 PM
That's why I'm considering it Steve, the DR on Nikon and Sony blows Canon out of the water sad to say. Even Canon's new bodies still lag behind because they refuse to put Sony sensors in their cameras in favor of their own. It really is a large problem and gripe among us Canon owners. I'm not sure if its Canon being stubborn or Sony/Nikon trying to keep Canon out of the game....which I doubt because Sony will sell to anyone. Its just frustrating that the cameras can be so much better with a simple sensor/DR upgrade. I'll see what the next few months bring, I can rent a D810 and a lens for around $300 for a week so I will do that in the next few months as well. Might check around and see if anyone local has one I can play with in the meantime.

rickztahone
02-24-2015, 12:04 AM
That's why I'm considering it Steve, the DR on Nikon and Sony blows Canon out of the water sad to say. Even Canon's new bodies still lag behind because they refuse to put Sony sensors in their cameras in favor of their own. It really is a large problem and gripe among us Canon owners. I'm not sure if its Canon being stubborn or Sony/Nikon trying to keep Canon out of the game....which I doubt because Sony will sell to anyone. Its just frustrating that the cameras can be so much better with a simple sensor/DR upgrade. I'll see what the next few months bring, I can rent a D810 and a lens for around $300 for a week so I will do that in the next few months as well. Might check around and see if anyone local has one I can play with in the meantime.

Matt, if you ever want to play with a new toy, I can ship you out my body and 24-70 and get a feel for the Sony Sensor. Just pay the ship :)

Discus-n00b
02-24-2015, 12:27 AM
Thanks! I'll let you know.

And for the record, for anyone wondering Canon 6D make excellent budget (compared to say the 5D3) astrophotography cameras.

SMB2
02-24-2015, 12:39 AM
Well this conversation is going on in two different photo threads.
Matt, regarding your comment about ergonomics, I really like the feel of the D810. They have changed the grip a bit from the D800. I have biggish hands and have always shot with large "pro" bodies so this was quite a change for me, but the D810 was pleasantly comfortable to work with. Using custom settings I was able to get all critical functions in an easy workable configuration so that all key changes could be made without taking the camera away from ones eye.

The attached image is a JPEG from the RAW file with NO processing. ( I was playing with the D810 today at the Zoo.) I was just working with the limits of the camera, not trying to take perfectly composed pics.
SS 1/125, f5.6, ISO 3200 and the camera in 1.5 crop mode using a 70-200mm 2.8 lens. Cloudy day lighting but inside. Bird was moving about. The highlights are well handled, amazingly little noise, the dark black rock vs the greens and the white on the feathers all well controlled by the camera. Pretty nice.

Discus-n00b
02-24-2015, 12:48 AM
I was about to say, wow...3200 and hardly any noise. Detail is excellent as well.

To be honest I haven't picked up a Nikon since....gosh....one of the early D70s I guess. The right grip just did not work with my hand at all, way to rigid. You can clearly see in pictures they've rounded that side of the camera out some so I'd be interested in seeing how it feels. A change would be a learning curve for sure, all of the buttons are in different spots! It'd be like moving to the UK and having to learn to drive the wrong way like Paul and company ;)

SMB2
02-24-2015, 01:00 AM
If you are getting serious:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/40565049?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227028121804&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=59604501888&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=84661620288&veh=sem
There is an E version as well I think. Very nice explanation of all the functions. From what I've seen if you can handle a Canon menu, Nikon will be a breeze!

rickztahone
02-24-2015, 01:37 AM
There is nothing like actually going out and handling these bodies in real life Matt. Do you not have any large camera shops around you?

Discus-n00b
02-24-2015, 01:06 PM
Apart from places like Best Buy I don't think so, not that I've found at least. Which might work if they have display models out but I don't go in there to often.

SteveCA
02-24-2015, 08:06 PM

I know its difficult to get used to a new body from a different manufacturer but I can tell you that it is easier going from Canon to nikon versus the other way around. At least thatss what I've heard from y convert friends. With the Nikons, virtually everything is button accessible as opposed to needing to use the menu all the time. When it comes to dynamic range and noise, particularly at high ISO's, you will be blown away. Every Canon shooter I've been with on photo tours were muttering after comparing their shots with the D800 shots as we performed post processing.

One more little known point that I want to share is that for some very strange reason, the D800E has more high ISO noise than the D800. On a photo tour right after the D800 came out, I told Marc (Adamus) that I was going to order the D800E as soon as I got home. He told me to avoid it as it had more noise. Almost everyone in the group had the E version but Marc had both. He showed us the same shot (night time 6400ISO, perfect usable by the way) and man there was a big difference in noise. In fact, we were able to replicate those results with other D800 E's in the group. The very slight resolution gain is virtually imperceptible in prints, even very large ones but the noise difference is pretty dramatic. He had the D800E owners pretty bummed.

Here is a night shot with my D3s from that trip. I wish I had the D800 at that time but oh well:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lulhgbi1urn60ce/Mono%20Lake%20Star%20Reflections%201080.jpg?dl=084 880

SteveCA
02-24-2015, 08:12 PM
Sorry for the dumb question but how do you post a photo that displays without clicking on the photo?

Discus-n00b
02-24-2015, 08:25 PM
Thanks Steve. You can either host it off of the site and wrap IMG tags around the URL like: URL HERE or you can add it as an attachment in the post which you should see if you clicked Go Advanced when posting. I right clicked your image to view it. Very nice shot there none the less 800 or not. You've all convinced me to at least try the D810, I'll have to do some side by side comparisons to really make up my mind. Ideal world I'd have a D810 with glass AND a Canon 5D whatever is next with glass LOL....to bad its not an ideal world. Come on Powerball.

SteveCA
02-24-2015, 08:50 PM
Thanks Steve. You can either host it off of the site and wrap IMG tags around the URL like: URL HERE or you can add it as an attachment in the post which you should see if you clicked Go Advanced when posting. I right clicked your image to view it. Very nice shot there none the less 800 or not. You've all convinced me to at least try the D810, I'll have to do some side by side comparisons to really make up my mind. Ideal world I'd have a D810 with glass AND a Canon 5D whatever is next with glass LOL....to bad its not an ideal world. Come on Powerball.

Got it, I will try that next time. Thanks,

pcsb23
02-26-2015, 06:10 AM
Sorry for the dumb question but how do you post a photo that displays without clicking on the photo?Hi Steve, looks like your image is hosted on dropbox, most folk will either use Flickr, 500px or photobucket (yuk) or similar ... you can host on here too, and that way the forum never loses content. Have a look here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?118490-Continual-Improvement-Image-hosting-changes&p=1142723#post1142723 - but note that currently we are limited to 2Mb max files size.

SteveCA
02-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Paul

Thanks. I learned to upload it to this site and attach the photo. 2MB is plenty as I downsize my photos for web purposes.

Steve

Discus-n00b
03-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Sooooooo Sigma just released a 24 1.4 lens in it's "Art" collection. Costs $849. Canon's 24 1.4 II costs $1,649. Sigma's looks pretty good too. We have a candidate for what my next lens purchase will be. I also need to get a 200mm or more focal length lens at some point. Assuming I won't be switching brands that is. Which despite the Nikon looking very good is doubtful right now. We'll see.

brewmaster15
03-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Sooooooo Sigma just released a 24 1.4 lens in it's "Art" collection. Costs $849. Canon's 24 1.4 II costs $1,649. Sigma's looks pretty good too. We have a candidate for what my next lens purchase will be. I also need to get a 200mm or more focal length lens at some point. Assuming I won't be switching brands that is. Which despite the Nikon looking very good is doubtful right now. We'll see.

Sigma been making some very good lens Lately Matt.. I have been looking real hard at their 50-500 Bigma and his little brother the 150-500 for my birding.. If I had the funds I'd go with something else, but given the reviews and my lack of a budget.If I pull the trigger it will probably be on a sigma...they are often fair compromises to the financially compromised.:)

al

rickztahone
03-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Matt, I've told you before, I really like sigma. It's too bad they don't pay the licensing with Sony but that is one of the reasons they are able to sell cheaper.

Al, I'd also look at the Tammy 150-600

brewmaster15
03-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Matt, I've told you before, I really like sigma. It's too bad they don't pay the licensing with Sony but that is one of the reasons they are able to sell cheaper.

Al, I'd also look at the Tammy 150-600

I have... Tamron has'nt made a lens with a pentax mount in a while and has no plans to.. The Tamron 150-600 is not available to us lowly Pentax users.:( Its tough being the little guy.

al

Discus-n00b
03-07-2015, 10:10 PM
I don't mind Sigmas either, they seem to actually be very good glass compared to the Canon red rings. Hard to beat for the money. There was a lot of reports of focus being off in the Sigmas, mainly the 35mm 1.4 that came earlier, but they offer a USB programmer of sorts that makes it easy to calibrate it and after doing that everyone's problems went away. Pics I've seen from them look good too.

Al they just dropped the price on a number of their lenses, the 105-500mm f5-6.3 is $799 now I think for all mounts. 50-500 dropped too. Actually making me look at those as well.

rickztahone
03-08-2015, 12:26 PM
I have... Tamron has'nt made a lens with a pentax mount in a while and has no plans to.. The Tamron 150-600 is not available to us lowly Pentax users.:( Its tough being the little guy.

al

Shucks, that is too bad. I didn't know that about Pentax and Tamron.

I don't mind Sigmas either, they seem to actually be very good glass compared to the Canon red rings. Hard to beat for the money. There was a lot of reports of focus being off in the Sigmas, mainly the 35mm 1.4 that came earlier, but they offer a USB programmer of sorts that makes it easy to calibrate it and after doing that everyone's problems went away. Pics I've seen from them look good too.

Al they just dropped the price on a number of their lenses, the 105-500mm f5-6.3 is $799 now I think for all mounts. 50-500 dropped too. Actually making me look at those as well.

I'm assuming most Canon body come with self calibrating option? If so, why were so many complaining when they could have calibrated the lens? Especially a wide lens like that when dialing in shouldn't be a problem compared to a longer FL.

Discus-n00b
03-08-2015, 12:39 PM
Yes the newer Canon bodies come with AF Microadjustment. I think the Sigma USB calibration came out as a result or after the problems, not sure. So once the fix was in everyone was happy. Here it is, has one for each mount that is compatible with the company's lenses. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sigma+USB+dock&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Of course it probably won't work with a bunch of the older lenses.

SteveCA
03-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Here is a link to dxomarjs lens reviews. I think they may have reviewed this lens

www.dxomark.com/content/search/?SearchText=Sigma&x=0&y=0

I would make sure that it performs well enough for your next body before plunking down the dough...

Most lenses will not be sufficient for your next 50mp body.

Edit:

Whoops, i clicked on the review and see that it hasnt been reviewed yet

Discus-n00b
03-08-2015, 03:14 PM
I don't plan to go to the 50mp body, not at this point anyway. I think it'd be cool to have but its not really the camera I want for every day use. Unless they announce some splash 5D Mk IV in the next few months I'm going to pickup a cheaper 5D Mk III body I think. Still going to take the 810 on a test run though.

This looks like it says review and test coming in March. It was announced in Feb but just now went on sale so I'm sure we'll see some stuff soon. http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sigma/Sigma-24mm-F14-DG-HSM-A-Canon

rickztahone
03-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Matt, have you used any of the Art lenses? My recommendation was not based on using any Art lenses if that matters (which it probably should)

Discus-n00b
03-08-2015, 03:32 PM
I've never used their Art lenses no.

SteveCA
03-08-2015, 09:58 PM
I don't plan to go to the 50mp body, not at this point anyway. I think it'd be cool to have but its not really the camera I want for every day use. Unless they announce some splash 5D Mk IV in the next few months I'm going to pickup a cheaper 5D Mk III body I think. Still going to take the 810 on a test run though.

This looks like it says review and test coming in March. It was announced in Feb but just now went on sale so I'm sure we'll see some stuff soon. http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sigma/Sigma-24mm-F14-DG-HSM-A-Canon

Matt

Even if you dont go with a 50mp body soon, you will likely go with a 36mp body within the next few years. The 36mp bodies are becoming commonplace. One should be able to keep their lens collection for more than a few years (unlike camera bodies) but that wont be the case with lens that cant resolve higher resolutions. I have seen that with all of my older Nikon glass and have become wary of buying any more lenses that dont resolve well in the new high MP world that we live in. I was in the market for the new Nikon 80-400mm until I read the DXO Mark review. That lens is fine for 24MP but insufficient for the D800/810.

I think most of the lens currently available are good to 16-24mp but lacking with the higher MP bodies.

brewmaster15
03-09-2015, 07:09 AM
Steve does bring up a good point about the lens requirements. But theres alot more to consider as well when looking at the increase in sensors in these 50megapixel and up range.

Interesting article here..https://photographylife.com/are-you-ready-for-50-mp-cameras

Other considerations are post processing time,file processing and storage, computer processor speeds and needs, viewing etc all are affected. You may need to upgrade much besides the camera! It also sounds like your picture taking technique itself may need to be modified..ex hand held may become more challenging.

I do have to wonder though at what point is it overkill ? Unless you are selling your work,doing it as a living or want to be able to use a single pic to wallpaper your house...how many hobbyists will ever benefit from a 50 mp camera? From what I have seen the majority of hobbyist ,even semi pros post most of their work on line...which means its what its being viewed on that is the limiting factor...not the camera sensor itself...

Its actually kind of funny and ironic.In the early days of digital.Film captured far more detail but digital advocates would say that did not matter as most people had begun viewing the images digitally and so the limiting factors were monitor resolution, scanner resolution and printer resolution..Films ability exceeded all these in native form...but not when digitized. Now as digital starts to exceed film...the industry seems to forget...those same constraints exist..sure monitors and printers have gotten better as have computers...but how many people have the high end version of these?

My take home message here for forum members reading this is know your goals,your target audience and your budget.It can be a very costly hobby if you try and keep up with the latest and greatest gear...the results can be very worthwhile but only if you take the time to learn the basics,practice much and are independently wealthy!:)
Al

SteveCA
03-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Steve does bring up a good point about the lens requirements. But theres alot more to consider as well when looking at the increase in sensors in these 50megapixel and up range.

Interesting article here..https://photographylife.com/are-you-ready-for-50-mp-cameras

Other considerations are post processing time,file processing and storage, computer processor speeds and needs, viewing etc all are affected. You may need to upgrade much besides the camera! It also sounds like your picture taking technique itself may need to be modified..ex hand held may become more challenging.

I do have to wonder though at what point is it overkill ? Unless you are selling your work,doing it as a living or want to be able to use a single pic to wallpaper your house...how many hobbyists will ever benefit from a 50 mp camera? From what I have seen the majority of hobbyist ,even semi pros post most of their work on line...which means its what its being viewed on that is the limiting factor...not the camera sensor itself...

Its actually kind of funny and ironic.In the early days of digital.Film captured far more detail but digital advocates would say that did not matter as most people had begun viewing the images digitally and so the limiting factors were monitor resolution, scanner resolution and printer resolution..Films ability exceeded all these in native form...but not when digitized. Now as digital starts to exceed film...the industry seems to forget...those same constraints exist..sure monitors and printers have gotten better as have computers...but how many people have the high end version of these?

My take home message here for forum members reading this is know your goals,your target audience and your budget.It can be a very costly hobby if you try and keep up with the latest and greatest gear...the results can be very worthwhile but only if you take the time to learn the basics,practice much and are independently wealthy!:)
Al

Al,

Very well said! For 95% of my photography, my lowly 12 megapixel D3s is more than sufficient. The only limitation of those nice big 12 MP pixels is the inability to make very large prints. I will only prints landscapes larger than what the D3s can offer so I bought a 36 MP D800. I've seen prints from the D800 enlarged to 40" by 72". The print was a forrest landscape with fine details. The print was stunning even when viewing from 18 inches away. Frankly, i could never imagine printing anything larger. So for me, there will never be a need to go bigger than 36MP. Having said that, I want my landscape lenses to resolve enough detail to take advantage of the D800's 36MP. Currently, most Nikon lenses do not resolve that level of detail. That is why they are releasing newer versions of their lenses, some of which were only introduced 5-7 years ago. As an owner of a number of those lenses, it sucks because the value of those lenses will drop significantly when the new versions come out.

You are right about the need for new shooting techniques with these new high MP cameras. Hand held shooting is not possible if you want to take advantage of the full resolution. Mirror lock-up with a delay or remote shutter is highly preferable. Live view, highly magnified, manual focus is needed to wring the full resolution out. Basically we are talking about slow, studio type techniques. These high MP cameras are effectively medium format like sensors and requires medium format type techniques. The use of very stable (expensive Carbon fiber) tripods is a given as well. So in summary, these cameras are definitely not for everybody because 99% of photographers will not reap benefits from these cameras. But for those willing to spend the $$$ for the body, lenses, tripods, ball heads and willing to follow very strict shooting protocol, the benefits can be rewarding but only with very large print sizes.

My belief is that 99% of photographers should stick with a max of 24MP and not bother with anything higher. 24 MP sensors will perform better in low light, have better high ISO performance and capable of very nice large prints. A big plus is that most very good lenses will resolve just fine at the 24MP level.

Discus-n00b
03-09-2015, 07:00 PM
I think it'd be great as a toy, create some INSANE panos with that thing, but I hope the 5D Mk IV comes out with 18-36mp max anywhere in that range is fine with me. I'd rather them worry about other stuff than megapixels anyway. I feel confident about the newer lenses coming out will be somewhat future proof. The older ones maybe not so much. Its why Canon dropped a brand new lens at the same time as the 50MP bodies, matches up well with them. Soon the cameras will be using the new CFast cards anyway, the ones that cost at minimum $150 each and only have what, 3 manufacturers at the moment?

I think for anyone reading this hearing us go on about megapixels, don't worry to much. Most cameras have way more than you need to do what you want to do. MP only really play a part when you want to start printing photos and prints to hang on the wall.

Discus-n00b
03-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Just read today someone mentioned the 5DIV. Said it looks to have 28MP, 9FPS, will have a “significant” advancement in external flash control, and will have 4k video, of course among other stuff. One would think Dynamic Range and low light performance would improve from the last model so lets cross our fingers. However we won't see an announcement until after summer of this year so I may just hold onto what I have unless I can find a MK III incredibly cheap. This is a camera I would buy, I'd even preorder it. This actually might be a good thing as I want to overhaul my computer as well and can only expect file sizes and such to get larger meaning faster processing for image work and more storage. I also need some USB 3.0 ports among other things. Off to price out a computer build I go!

For the record, the sample images coming out now for the camera in the OP seem to be fairly impressive. Its just to much camera that I won't use.