PDA

View Full Version : re. discus quarantine

vpolur
02-10-2015, 12:53 AM
Hi guys, i am preparing new planted tank and i am going to put 2-3 pairs adult discus after fully cycling it.
Do i still need to quarantine fish in separate tank or can i put them in my planted aquarium?
Thanks in advance

Vlad

DonMD
02-10-2015, 05:56 AM
We quarantine fish when we want to add new fish to an existing group that we've had for awhile. We do this to find out if the new fish are carrying any disease that may infect our existing fish. But is sounds like you are setting up a new system that doesn't have any fish in it. If this is correct, then you don't need to quarantine the new fish, since they will be the only fish.

When you add new fish after that, I would recommend a quarantine period. hth.

vpolur
02-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Thank you very much Don.
Will i have any problem if discus need a treatment after shipping using medicines , i mean in a planted aquarium

rickztahone
02-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Thank you very much Don.
Will i have any problem if discus need a treatment after shipping using medicines , i mean in a planted aquarium

yes, it is far more difficult to treat discus, or rather, ANY fish in a planted tank.

DonMD
02-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Thank you very much Don.

If you buy your new discus from a reputable source, such as from Discus Hans, Kenny, or Chicago Discus, just to name a few that sell here on Simply, you won't need any medicines, and in the future if you do not crowd too many fish into your aquarium, you will not increase the stress of your fish, and they should live happy, healthy lives. The best meds are fish that don't need meds.

rickztahone
02-10-2015, 06:15 PM
If you buy your new discus from a reputable source, such as from Discus Hans, Kenny, or Chicago Discus, just to name a few that sell here on Simply, you won't need any medicines, and in the future if you do not crowd too many fish into your aquarium, you will not increase the stress of your fish, and they should live happy, healthy lives. The best meds are fish that don't need meds.

I agree with you that our sponsors are great, but we need to keep in mind that diseases happen for x amount of reasons. Saying that you won't need any medicine is a little unrealistic, albeit, a better shot of getting much healthier discus going with our sponsors.

DonMD
02-10-2015, 06:49 PM
I agree with you that our sponsors are great, but we need to keep in mind that diseases happen for x amount of reasons. Saying that you won't need any medicine is a little unrealistic, albeit, a better shot of getting much healthier discus going with our sponsors.

Yes, you are right.

nc0gnet0
02-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Hi guys, i am preparing new planted tank and i am going to put 2-3 pairs adult discus after fully cycling it.
Do i still need to quarantine fish in separate tank or can i put them in my planted aquarium?
Thanks in advance

Vlad

One question that has not been asked......are all the discus coming from the same source?

-Rick

vpolur
02-11-2015, 12:16 AM
Thanks guys and yes i will try to buy them from the same source.
But even from the same source i cannot buy 3 pair of adult discus, and i am going to look for the best quality fish, in the same time.
And i understand that even from the same source i have to separately quarantine later bought fish.?
And guys could you please suggest where can i look for the best shape high body discus

Vlad

vpolur
02-11-2015, 12:28 AM
And forgot one more question,please.
What is the right way to transfer discus to a tank from a package after the shipping?

Vlad

sdrexler078
02-11-2015, 12:50 AM
There are lots of ways I just plop them in as long as the water in bag is close to the same temp as they tank

rickztahone
02-11-2015, 01:25 AM
And forgot one more question,please.
What is the right way to transfer discus to a tank from a package after the shipping?

Vlad

Float the bag for 20 minutes. Cut it open and transfer the discus from the bag to tank without putting any of the shipping water in the aquarium. You can simply place a large net on top of a 5g barrel and have the discus slide in to that. I tend to not use nets because it can potentially hurt the discus, so I scoop them out of the bags with my hand.

vpolur
02-12-2015, 12:31 AM
Does anyone could suggest please where is possible to buy high body discus