PDA

View Full Version : Camera Sound off! What do you use?

brewmaster15
02-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Hello all,
Thought I would try and get a thread going here to see what kind of camera equipment you guys all use. I'll add a poll as well. But it would great if you could sound off as to what you use to take pictures? Do you rely on film, or digital, point and shoot or Digital SLR. Or are you a phone camera type. Also what brands and models do you use? Doesn't have to be just fish related pics either.

Me I'm a pentax nut, I use Pentax Digital Slrs and still shoot film as well. For a quick pic or vid I use my Android smart phone.

In the Poll you can select multiple options...

--al

DiscusRob
02-10-2015, 11:54 AM
I use a Kodak Z650 Digital Point and Shoot, and an old canon sure shot for film.

Discus-n00b
02-10-2015, 01:48 PM
I shoot strictly Canon DSLR, though I do have a couple of Canon point and shoots laying around. Those point and shoots are great for quick handheld video if needed or if you go somewhere where you can't fit or carry your DSLR. But for the fishtanks its normally the large DSLR.

rickztahone
02-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Sony shooter mainly. I have 2 cropped sensors SLT's, 1 mirrorless that I can adapt any lens to, and my main body which is a Full frame body. I have 2 film cameras as well, but am very intimidated by them, lol.

brewmaster15
02-10-2015, 02:25 PM
........ I have 2 film cameras as well, but am very intimidated by them, lol. Intimidated? LOl.

rickztahone
02-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Intimidated? LOl.

yup, intimidated. Imagine having been raised and use to only shooting digital. Then you give someone a camera that only shoots 24 exposures. I'm confident I can make it work, but will a large percentage of them be usable? Probably not! lol. That is why I tip my hat at film users. I love their methodical approach. I have gotten much better at reducing the shutter count on my bodies lately, but the fact still remains, that film is the true giant

brewmaster15
02-10-2015, 02:41 PM
yup, intimidated. Imagine having been raised and use to only shooting digital. Then you give someone a camera that only shoots 24 exposures. I'm confident I can make it work, but will a large percentage of them be usable? Probably not! lol. That is why I tip my hat at film users. I love their methodical approach. I have gotten much better at reducing the shutter count on my bodies lately, but the fact still remains, that film is the true giant

http://petapixel.com/2014/10/08/four-photographers-take-to-the-streets-of-tokyo-for-the-one-roll-challenge/

and

http://petapixel.com/2013/01/13/the-end-of-an-era-steve-mccurry-shoots-the-final-roll-of-kodachrome-film/

off topic but cool.:) for a guy like me that grew up on film.

Discus-n00b
02-10-2015, 03:50 PM
I think the scariest part of film was putting it in the camera correctly and making sure the door was closed to avoid any light leaks LOL

rickztahone
02-10-2015, 04:08 PM
http://petapixel.com/2014/10/08/four-photographers-take-to-the-streets-of-tokyo-for-the-one-roll-challenge/

and

http://petapixel.com/2013/01/13/the-end-of-an-era-steve-mccurry-shoots-the-final-roll-of-kodachrome-film/

off topic but cool.:) for a guy like me that grew up on film.

That first video is so awesome. On to the next. Of course this dinged a lightbulb right over my head Al ;)

DiscusRob
02-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Al, I think Matt and Ricardo are calling us old:):):):)

brewmaster15
02-10-2015, 04:27 PM
LOL!

Matt,Ricardo and I have had some private conversations along those lines! I like digital...but I will always love film.:)

rickztahone
02-10-2015, 04:28 PM
LOL!

Matt,Ricardo and I have had some private conversations along those lines! I like digital...but I will always love film.:)

about being old? Never! lol.

brewmaster15
02-10-2015, 04:29 PM
That first video is so awesome. On to the next. Of course this dinged a lightbulb right over my head Al ;)

I thought it might... had one go off over mine as well.:)

brewmaster15
02-10-2015, 04:31 PM
about being old? Never! lol.

I think the consensus was I wasnt old...just from a "different Era" :bandana:

DiscusRob
02-10-2015, 04:37 PM

I love the way you think;)

pcsb23
02-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Well I voted for all but the iPhone as I don't have one of them ... My main camera is a Nikon DSLR I own both a full frame and crop version. I have a Nikon Coolpix which was meant to be my take anywhere camera, but I forget to take it with me :confused:

I also have a number of 35mm film cameras including an SLR, and Olympus Trip, another Olympus (can't remember which). Other format film cameras, somewhere I also have a box brownie, a Kodak instamatic a Polaroid and rangefinder of dubious origin (Russian I think), somewhere hidden away I may still have an old Bronica medium format film camera ...

In truth though I really only use the Nikon DSLR and mainly the FX though I will use my Ricoh SLR a few times through the year. Don't know why folk are worried over film though, it has far more latitude than digital, though modern sensors now have more dynamic range than film, even medium format film.

rickztahone
02-10-2015, 05:03 PM

ding :)

Rod
02-10-2015, 06:18 PM
yup, intimidated. Imagine having been raised and use to only shooting digital. Then you give someone a camera that only shoots 24 exposures. I'm confident I can make it work, but will a large percentage of them be usable? Probably not!

I used to love taking photos with my film slr, it forced you to wait for the exact moment. Sitting in front of the tank waiting for the right pose. Maybe 3 or 4 work out ok from the roll. Now i just point and shoot, take a hundred photos and for sure i can fluke a decent shot, and have it on my computer moments later.

rickztahone
02-10-2015, 06:32 PM
I used to love taking photos with my film slr, it forced you to wait for the exact moment. Sitting in front of the tank waiting for the right pose. Maybe 3 or 4 work out ok from the roll. Now i just point and shoot, take a hundred photos and for sure i can fluke a decent shot, and have it on my computer moments later.

the advantage an the bane of the modern photographer

DiscusRob
02-10-2015, 06:41 PM

Let's not forget the photo shop:):):):):)

Miss_Fish
02-10-2015, 10:21 PM
I just picked up a canon t5i eos rebel. :)

brewmaster15
02-11-2015, 08:17 AM
I just picked up a canon t5i eos rebel. :)
Congratulations! Are you new to using DSLRs?

al

SMB2
02-25-2015, 06:26 PM
Just catching up on photo threads.
My first camera was a Nikormat, a cast off from my Dad. My older sister got the Leica!
Then it was a progression thru film to digital. F1->F4->F5-> D2xs-> D3s and now a D810. Of all the film cameras, I kept the F5 as I believe that was the best SLR Nikon ever made. I have been able to sell the older digital bodies with each upgrade.

SteveCA
02-25-2015, 08:13 PM
My first camera was a nikkormat, then the Nikon F photomic, followed by an equipment buying hiatus, followed by Nikon D70, D2x, D3s, D800 along with a number of good compacts such as the panasonic LX3, LX7, Sony NEX 7. I really think that it will be a while before I upgrade my D800. There simply isn't anything I wish that camera has that it doesn't offer. But the again, I said that with the D3s.... But seriously, with the D800 sensor, dynamic range, high ISO performance, it really is hard to imagine what will cause me to upgrade again. I certainly do not fully utilize the 36 MP resolution but it is nice to have.

Blademan
04-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Just bought a Nikon D5500, also have smaller Samsung NX200

dagray
04-26-2015, 12:30 PM
I am a Pentaxian... I use the K3 and K5 bodies the most with a variety of Pentax and Sigma lenses to include some of the old M42 screw mount lenses. I also have a K7 and K20d bodies as backups.

I started with an Asahi Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic in 1994 and picked up a Pentax ME super in a pawn shop in 1996.

I also use my HTC M8 android phone when I just have to have a photo to record a scene when I don't have my real camera.

rickztahone
04-26-2015, 12:36 PM
Just bought a Nikon D5500, also have smaller Samsung NX200

Very nice camera. If you need any help with using this new piece of gear, please stop by our Photo Center and more specifically our Open Discussion (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?349-Open-Discussions-on-Photography) forum to ask questions.

Blademan
04-27-2015, 05:48 AM
Very nice camera. If you need any help with using this new piece of gear, please stop by our Photo Center and more specifically our Open Discussion (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?349-Open-Discussions-on-Photography) forum to ask questions.

Thanks I will, just trying to get used it, but had some good results up to now, in manual mode

brewmaster15
04-27-2015, 02:08 PM
I am a Pentaxian... I use the K3 and K5 bodies the most with a variety of Pentax and Sigma lenses to include some of the old M42 screw mount lenses. I also have a K7 and K20d bodies as backups.

Pentaxian as well here;)... and pretty much the same history though I started film era with the K1000, then picked up some spotmatics had many other film, bodies.... Still have my film Pz1p bodies. Love old M42 lens, especially Takumars, have acquired way too many lenses and bodies over the decades.:bandana:. For digitals... k20D and K3 here.:)

al