PDA

View Full Version : Tank / Euipment Sterilization

torch
02-12-2015, 09:32 AM
Have to sterilize my tank and all equipment I believe disease in water kill all my fish. What is sure way to nuke the water and all its equipment. Its 90 gallon tank. Do I use Bleach.... Chlorox or Hydrogen Perioxide it is a 90 gallon acrylic tank with heater, k1 moving bed media in plastic container and ATI sponge V along with tubings.

Thinking of adding enough chlorox/bleach to handle 90 gallon of water and runs filtration for 24 hours, then drain the water. I need to know for sure as I will attempt to restart Discus tank.

John_Nicholson
02-12-2015, 09:53 AM
I always use bleach. Once the tank is clean I do 3 rinses with tap water before getting the tank ready for fish.

-john

torch
02-12-2015, 09:56 AM
So add bleach to water fill tank and let it circulate for how long before you rinse? This would include keeping the k1 medias in tank?

John_Nicholson
02-12-2015, 10:03 AM
Since I only run bare bottom tanks with sponges I can't really tell you. Bleach does kill most things on contact. I think I saw somewhere that a 20 to 1 ratio of water to bleach was strong enough but you might want to research the ratio a little more. Just make sure you get it all out before adding any fish.

-john

DISCUS STU
02-12-2015, 01:18 PM
I've always used bleach but have tried ammonia with the idea that any residual might help restart the bio filter.

After all the cleaning, 3X sounds good, I would also run some activated carbon to make sure to get the last wisps of the bleach out.

torch
02-12-2015, 01:24 PM
Thanks sad day but I should start over.

DISCUS STU
02-14-2015, 10:23 AM
This happens. Quarantine for all new fish is a must if you aren't already doing this. Even so, this happens.

FMA4ME
02-15-2015, 02:40 PM
Hi. I have been wondering if I should sterilize my tank and equipment. Both have been running for years with LOTS of different fish. Are there certain disease that call for sterilization, or should I do to take the preventive measure. Just don't wanna start over with bio, also wondering about bleach staying in bio, or driftwood.

torch
02-15-2015, 05:01 PM
Hi. I have been wondering if I should sterilize my tank and equipment. Both have been running for years with LOTS of different fish. Are there certain disease that call for sterilization, or should I do to take the preventive measure. Just don't wanna start over with bio, also wondering about bleach staying in bio, or driftwood.

I would don't take chances with your current fish