PDA

View Full Version : Frequency of water changes

Andy27012
02-14-2015, 01:55 AM
Just seeing how many times on average everyone is doing wc's in their planted tanks. I am currently at 50% once a week and the fish are happy but almost lost all the plants. Had undetectable nitrate levels, started dosing nitrogen and liquid co2 and have seen a lot of new growth over the last week or so. I am going to switch over to high pressure co2 next month just because seachem excel is so expensive and am hoping if I cut back on water changes I can get the needed nitrate levels without upsetting the fish.

dprais1
02-14-2015, 03:26 AM
glutaraldehyde is the same as excel. you can buy it off ebay, I think using the industrial stuff is 6-8x as cost effective.

pcsb23
02-14-2015, 09:44 AM
... am hoping if I cut back on water changes I can get the needed nitrate levels without upsetting the fish.This is the wrong approach. Planted tanks need water changes just like bare tanks do.

You are almost on the right track with CO2, let me try and bump you all the way ;)

Find where sells dry fertiliser chemicals (I'm guessing you are in the USA so I can't help there) - these will save you a fortune. Get some KNO3, K2PO4, a trace mix and some MgSO4. Research the EI dosing method (estimative index) - here is a decent start point http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-estimative-index.13/ and get that CO2 going. Put your lights on a timer if they are not already. Use the EI method as a start point for your plants, don't obsess over nitrate or phosphate levels but concentrate on getting a steady supply of CO2 going. Make sure to do at least one 50% w/c per week and don't be afraid to do more. Definitely do NOT reduce water changes.

It will take some work and discipline to get it right but when you do the rewards are worth every bit of the effort imo.

Solid
02-16-2015, 01:39 PM
I do 50% water changes almost everyday. I dose KNO3, KH2PO4, and K2SO4 every other day, then dose PlanteX+ on the in between days, according to the EI method. I also use pressurized Co2. The nitrates in fertalizers do not negatively effect the fish as much as the natural organic nitrates from fish poop and decaying food. Fertilizing with EI is the best way to keep your water as clean as possible, and still give your plants all the nutrients they need.

Larry Bugg
02-16-2015, 01:47 PM
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/index.asp?Option1=products

ericNH
02-16-2015, 01:49 PM
I cant vote. there's no choice for daily.

Second Hand Pat
02-16-2015, 02:11 PM
I cant vote. there's no choice for daily.

Fixed.

ericNH
02-16-2015, 02:53 PM
wow, that fast! thx, voted.

Second Hand Pat
02-16-2015, 03:34 PM
wow, that fast! thx, voted.

Yup, got lucky :D

Andy27012
02-18-2015, 01:39 AM
Thanks guys, will keep up the wc's. Any one using the pps pro fert system? I like and will probably go with ei method but want to make sure I know my choices before deciding.

Solid
02-18-2015, 10:45 AM
EI dosing is more of a carpet bomb approach and tries to supply an abundance of all the necessary nutrients. PPS-Pro tries to supply just the right amount of nutrients tailored to your specific needs. PPS-Pro uses less fertilizers and you have less chemicals (ferts) in the water. However, PPS is MUCH harder (in my experience) to find the correct balance, and when you have a lacking nutrient the algae can get bad pretty quick if you have high intensity lights. I find EI to just be much easier and more forgiving. That said, I do a modified EI and dose 2/3 of the recommended dose for my aquarium, because it is only partially planted and I'm not in the "high" light range. I would recommend starting with EI and then when you have the hang of it and you are getting good growth with not a lot of algae, you can adjust your ferts and see what works.

pitdogg2
02-18-2015, 11:53 AM
glutaraldehyde is the same as excel. you can buy it off ebay, I think using the industrial stuff is 6-8x as cost effective.

so what percentage is the Excel? I see all kinds of it listed at different percentages 2.5% 1.8% and then there is a 50% solution in a 50ml bottle.

I'm game to buy it that way if I can get the same percentage so I don't "off" my tank.

dprais1
02-18-2015, 10:48 PM
so what percentage is the Excel? I see all kinds of it listed at different percentages 2.5% 1.8% and then there is a 50% solution in a 50ml bottle.

I'm game to buy it that way if I can get the same percentage so I don't "off" my tank.

This is what I used. 2.6% soultion

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CIDEX-METRICIDE-OMNICIDE-14-DAY-STERILIZATION-GALLON-/351278525783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c9d4ed57

you can use 1/2 of the amount you would use of the excel. It is roughly twice as strong but and 1/2 the price. so about 4x as cost effective +/-.
I wouldn't mess with a 50% solution. too toxic.

bornlooser
02-19-2015, 10:34 AM
I cant vote ...cause there is no choice for ''when i feel like it".

pitdogg2
02-19-2015, 02:11 PM
This is what I used. 2.6% soultion

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CIDEX-METRICIDE-OMNICIDE-14-DAY-STERILIZATION-GALLON-/351278525783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c9d4ed57

you can use 1/2 of the amount you would use of the excel. It is roughly twice as strong but and 1/2 the price. so about 4x as cost effective +/-.
I wouldn't mess with a 50% solution. too toxic.

thanks man really appreciate that info. linked to my ebay account

Wahter
03-05-2015, 12:24 AM
I had good success doing the water changes 3 times a week + fertilize once a week = plants and discus grew very well for me. :) That was back in the day when I lived in an apartment and didn't need to pay for cold water. :)