PDA

View Full Version : A case of Pop Eye and clean water.

dprais1
02-16-2015, 03:32 AM
I had an angelfish develop pop-eye. I have some sharp rocks in the tank and sometimes they show some mild abrasions. This is probably how it started.

I usually do a 75%+ waterchange weekly or every other week.

Anyhow this was last Sat that I noticed it and I knew would not be able to do anything until monday. Did a lot of research and many suggest treating with meds, but some on here suggest clean water.

By Monday morning he had super pop-eye. did usual 75% wc and cleaned all the filters. By thursday he looked like a regualr pop-eye.
So, I did another 75% waterchange.

By Saturday, 1 week after I noticed it, he is back to normal. Not even sure which of the five angels was the one afflicted.

Goes to show jumping for the medicine cabinet should be the second defense and clean water the first.

Chicago Discus
02-16-2015, 03:56 AM
I had an angelfish develop pop-eye. I have some sharp rocks in the tank and sometimes they show some mild abrasions. This is probably how it started.

I usually do a 75%+ waterchange weekly or every other week.

Anyhow this was last Sat that I noticed it and I knew would not be able to do anything until monday. Did a lot of research and many suggest treating with meds, but some on here suggest clean water.

By Monday morning he had super pop-eye. did usual 75% wc and cleaned all the filters. By thursday he looked like a regualr pop-eye.
So, I did another 75% waterchange.

By Saturday, 1 week after I noticed it, he is back to normal. Not even sure which of the five angels was the one afflicted.

Goes to show jumping for the medicine cabinet should be the second defense and clean water the first.

+1....I couldn't agree more. More Discus die from medications being given right from the start instead of just waiting and see what some clean water and time will do.......Love this story thanks for sharing.....Josie

brewmaster15
02-16-2015, 09:21 AM
Glad it worked out. The water changes may have helped alot by removing stress factors.. but its also possible the fishes immune system kicked in and thats the core reason the fish recovered. Its always a good idea to be cautious when considering medications.Just like people don't always need medication for intervention...neither do fish!

jmf3460
02-16-2015, 10:37 AM
I agree, I am an undermedicator. I have all these medicines that have gone bad because every time I see something I just do like 3 huge water changes back to back. I always say to myself "if the water changes don't work then im using this medication, then never end up opening the bottle"