PDA

View Full Version : Uv sterilizers

Mgus
03-01-2015, 01:04 PM
I'm going to be building a sump out of a 20 g long soon and was doing some reading on uv sterilizers. Looks like I can get one for $150-200. I don't know much about them but they seem like a good addition. Anyone have any expieriences or suggestions? So far I'm planning on most of the sump as a refugium with a small bio tower. I currently have two fluval 406s that I plan on running along with the sump. I'm thinking of using a 400 gph pump. With that and the two fluvals I'd be cycling the tank 10-11 times an hour. The tank is a 125 low tech planted tank. Is a uv sterilizer worth adding to the tank?

Thanks Marc

farebox
03-01-2015, 02:06 PM
I will give you my two cents on this subject because I do have an 125G tank with an 20G long DIY sump. Last month I invested in an Emperor Aquatics Smart Lite 40W sterilizer for my system and to be honest it has improved my already clear water to another level. I still do my 50-70% water changes every three days. To me it was worth it to get it. Like you I did some research on the subject and finally decided on this unit. Bottom line is my tank looks goods and all discus are just doing fantastic. Check this out my friend: http://youtu.be/1cqNYfuwtnc

Mgus
03-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Thanks farebox. Looks good. I think I'll put one on the more forms of filtration the better. Probably gonna start building the sump the end of the month still trying to figure out all of the details.

wild4discus
03-01-2015, 06:59 PM
You may also want to check out the TMC UV sterilizers. The build quality is top notch and perform just as good, if not better, than Aqua and Emperor units, and cost less. You can find the TMC units at Americanaquariumproducts.com. I bought the 110 watt Pro UV and could't be happier with my purchase. I also have a 125g tank and this UV is a bit of overkill, but I wanted to achieve level 2 sterilization. Money well spent IMO. I would definitely stay away from the cheapie UVs on Ebay and Amazon since they don't use hot cathode, low pressure UV lamps like TMC, Emperor, and Aqua units. You get what pay for when it comes to this type of equipment.

Mgus
03-01-2015, 09:43 PM
You may also want to check out the TMC UV sterilizers. The build quality is top notch and perform just as good, if not better, than Aqua and Emperor units, and cost less. You can find the TMC units at Americanaquariumproducts.com. I bought the 110 watt Pro UV and could't be happier with my purchase. I also have a 125g tank and this UV is a bit of overkill, but I wanted to achieve level 2 sterilization. Money well spent IMO. I would definitely stay away from the cheapie UVs on Ebay and Amazon since they don't use hot cathode, low pressure UV lamps like TMC, Emperor, and Aqua units. You get what pay for when it comes to this type of equipment.

thanks for the info wild4discus ill check those out. iwant to get the level 2 sterilization and get rid of as much bacteria and ich and other stuff as possible.

Mgus
03-01-2015, 09:45 PM
farebox what size pump are you usingin your sump? and does the pump gp to the uv sterilizerthen to the outflow in the tank?

thanks marc

a.person61
03-01-2015, 10:35 PM
I got a UV filter great for slowing Algy in my 140 gallon

farebox
03-01-2015, 11:53 PM
I have the Pondmaster Mag Drive 9.5 pump (950GPH). The flow rate through the UV is rated just right for my system.

FischAutoTechGarten
03-02-2015, 01:12 AM
Folks,
Last time I emplyed a UV sterilizer was with a 120 Gallon planted Discus Tank that had a 40 breeder sump... believe it was 36W.
I apologize if I take this thread to far off track.... as I won't be keeping Discus....

Live in the desert now and just can't commit to the water changes necessary for Discus, so I am taking up Papliochromis (Mikrogeophagus) Ramirezi (blue rams) again. I have 2 20 gallon long tanks that I will put on a centralized 15 gallon long sump... The 20 gallons will have less than 16 gallons a piece once you account for height lost to plumbing bulkheads. Total system will probably be less than 40 gallons. (16 in two tanks, 6 in the shared sump).

Want to put in a UV sterilizer on the return side. Would I be terribly disappointed with a 13W unit?

Mgus
03-07-2015, 07:47 PM
I think I'm going to go with a 36w auqatop sterilizer on a 300 gph pump. I think that will give me level 2 sterilization. I'm going with a smaller pump for the sump where I already have a quite a bit of water water movement with the canisters.

Odwyerpw I think it depens on how much water is moving through the sum and wether you want level one or two sterilization. From what I've read so far you want a lot of watts and slow flow rate for level two. That seems like it should definitely give you level one sterilization for that amount of water.

Blademan
03-09-2015, 02:40 AM
I have replaced my original pump for this one with a built in 9w UV, i also have another seperate 9w UV light in the water return chamber of my sump along with heaters, I have noticed much better clarity in my water since installing the UV.