PDA

View Full Version : My Discus Rescue

ONOGUY77
03-02-2015, 03:23 PM
I was wondering what is wrong with him? I thought maybe peppered.. But it's all blue... Is it his color? Does he have a disease? He seems happy and healthy... I rescued him from my neighbor.. He didn't want him.. Called him a grade F discus...

rickztahone
03-02-2015, 03:33 PM
It is a heavily peppered discus. He also seems bloated and is definitely stunted. Seeing as it is a rescue, this is typically the case. I am assuming the tank was not inhabited by other discus? It looks to be a fine looking tank. This discus may lose some peppering considering that your tank looks brighter.

jmf3460
03-02-2015, 03:41 PM
man he looks bad, id put him in a small tank (20gal) by himself with tons of fresh clean water daily. do this for about a month and then post pictures of his progress, I bet he will be a totally different dude. You are a good person to save him, cant wait til hes healthy! Shoot him some Epson salt for the bloating.

brewmaster15
03-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Your neighbor is right on the Grading ... If you were interested in that kind of thing..That fish would be rated very low... too much pepper and the shape is not great. But pepper aside the spotting is interesting. It looks like the result of an old strain Pigeon crossed with a leopard. Some TLC may clean up that pepper a bit. I'd deworm it once it settles in and see how it does for you. Lots of food and lots of clean water. Keep that tank substrate as clean as possible or the fish will never turn around for you. It will never be show fish, but it could be an interesting looking fish if you do not mind the pepper. Most these days, don't like the look of pepper on their discus.

hth,
al

ONOGUY77
03-02-2015, 04:38 PM
I have a 10G that is fully cycled... I use that as my 9-1-1 tank... He should be fine in there right? I also have aquarium salt... Will add some in... and get tank ready... is there anything else I should do for him?

Bill63SG
03-02-2015, 04:42 PM
No need for the aquarium salt.If it appears bloated use Epsom salt,1tbl spoon per 10gals.

Second Hand Pat
03-02-2015, 05:07 PM
First let me welcome you to SimplyDiscus :) and suggest if you decide to try the 10 gallon (a 20 would be a whole lot better) is to do 100% water changes per day and be mindful that the BB will need to catch up with the additional bio-load after adding the fish to the tank. You might need to watch the ammonia for a week or so. The water changes will help to keep that in check.
Pat

jmf3460
03-02-2015, 05:11 PM
the salt and daily water changes will really help a lot. a 10 gal is very small but it will do if you can do the water changes. get that guy some quality food, don't feed him petstore flake stuff, get him some frozen foods and some freeze dried bloodworms maybe even some live foods if you can afford them. I think you will be amazed at how good he will look after even one week.

ONOGUY77
03-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the info everyone.... I'm about to transfer him and give him lots of T.L.C Will do 50-100% water changes daily and use NITE OUT II or stability after every change.... Should I add the salt daily after the water changes?

Bill63SG
03-02-2015, 05:36 PM
If it is bloated you only add until it poops,then your done.Also add only as much as the water you change.

Len
03-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Welcome to Simply. I'd skip the salt and plenty of clean water and se what improvement that brings.

Mongo77
03-02-2015, 07:50 PM
Why do you say it looks bloated? Mine look like that after a feeding. I'm talking about the swelling around the belly. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm asking this as a newb, interested in learning.

discuspaul
03-02-2015, 08:13 PM
The swelling around the belly seems excessive for a discus - looks like bloat - not just well fed, and it should be treated for that with Epsom Salts.

Mongo77
03-02-2015, 08:30 PM
The swelling around the belly seems excessive for a discus - looks like bloat - not just well fed, and it should be treated for that with Epsom Salts.

Ok thanks

Mongo77
03-02-2015, 09:40 PM
OP, keep us posted on this fish. I'm curious how he turns out.

ericNH
03-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Yea me too. Please do keep us posted. I happen to think that peppering can look good on some discus. It can sometimes add a cool contrast.

Driftwood Mike
03-02-2015, 10:25 PM
Good luck, trust me water changes help more than you can imagine, I rescued a Blue Diamond from a lfs, it was so black you couldn't tell what color it was, after hiding and I mean hiding fo ten days, one night a pretty blue discus came out to eat. Had to be him cause I had no blues and still only have one. Show discus? Lol, hardly, but actually he is growing nice and is a high body I believe. His name is lucky because he would have been dead by the next morning if I hadn't talked the guy at the store into giving it to me! He will do just fine. Keep us posted!

ONOGUY77
03-02-2015, 11:17 PM
I put him in hospital tank and noticed he did #2 which looked normal color... I thought with bloat they don't eat and can't do #2... Should I hold off on the salt?

rickztahone
03-03-2015, 12:59 AM
clean water for now.

Bill63SG
03-03-2015, 03:12 AM
Yep,if its poopin',just hit it with plenty of clean water.

bluelagoon
03-03-2015, 12:30 PM
So did you use epsom salt to purge him or did me move on his own?He just looked very well fed to me.

tmtplyb
03-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Ok I just pick up a discus from Petco same problem, can I do WC 2 times a day morning and evening it in my 20g hospital tank, doing 75% WC each time? since I have 40g holding bin which I aged my water in 24hrs before using it.

Thanks