PDA

View Full Version : prefilter hydro sponge added to HOB filter

dmheric
03-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Hi all
I have recently set up my 55 gallon tank for my 6 discus and purchased a Aqueon 55/75 hang on back filter.
It seems to work great....a four stage system with 400 GPM. I am reading on other posts that a prefilter sponge
Added to the intake tube would be very beneficial, reducing debris to the filter cartridge while adding more beneficial bacteria. So I am now looking at some hydro sponges. Any thoughts on this subject?

Second Hand Pat
03-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Hi Denise, we recommend pre-filters here also. Any piece of foam will work as a pre-filter providing it is not too fine (as in clogging easy). I have taken a piece of foam, hollowed out the center and slipped it over the inlet. I have also used a rubberband around a piece of foam also. A bit ugly but gets the job done.
Pat

dmheric
03-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Pat
Good idea. Thanks for your input!!

ericNH
03-06-2015, 12:41 PM
I recently added a pre-filter sponge to my HOB's intake. I took a 1" block of foam and cut a trapezoidal shape, and inserted a filet knife into it and made a slit. It fits perfectly over the conical intake, creating a 1/2" foam pre-filter.

dmheric
03-06-2015, 03:43 PM
I recently added a pre-filter sponge to my HOB's intake. I took a 1" block of foam and cut a trapezoidal shape, and inserted a filet knife into it and made a slit. It fits perfectly over the conical intake, creating a 1/2" foam pre-filter.

Sounds good Eric. What type foam is it. I don't have any thing around the house so I just purchased an ATI hydro sponge for 75 gal. off EBay for $6 free shipping.

ericNH
03-09-2015, 05:19 AM
It's just foam from a small block for a small HOB filter. I don't have that filter, I just bought the sponge insert for cutting up. Cost only a couple of dollars.