PDA

View Full Version : Size and breeding age

Blademan
03-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Hi all I am new to keeping discus, my 10 fish are between 4 to 5 inch total length, how old would this make them approximately, and what age could I expect them to pair up, I am not keeping the discus with the intention to breed, but nature will take its course

Second Hand Pat
03-07-2015, 09:15 AM
Hi all I am new to keeping discus, my 10 fish are between 4 to 5 inch total length, how old would this make them approximately, and what age could I expect them to pair up, I am not keeping the discus with the intention to breed, but nature will take its course

Well, breeding is not based on size but rather the age of the discus. How large discus become is based on the care they received in their first year. Generally domestic discus reach breeding age between nine and 18 months depending on strain. Wild discus between 18 months and into their second year.
Pat

Blademan
03-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Well, breeding is not based on size but rather the age of the discus. How large discus become is based on the care they received in their first year. Generally domestic discus reach breeding age between nine and 18 months depending on strain. Wild discus between 18 months and into their second year.
Pat
Pat what age should my discus be in the 4 to 5 inch range assuming normal growth and not stunted.

Altum Nut
03-07-2015, 08:10 PM
Pat will chime in soon....
I will assume in optimal conditions Discus in the 4" to 5" range will be 4 to 8 months old...however will also depend on strains. Some strains do mature in size and color later then others.
It was not mentioned in your post but care to share your source and strains you have acquired...would love to see a full tank shot only if you wish to share...

...Ralph

Second Hand Pat
03-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Pat what age should my discus be in the 4 to 5 inch range assuming normal growth and not stunted.

Pat will chime in soon....
I will assume in optimal conditions Discus in the 4" to 5" range will be 4 to 8 months old...however will also depend on strains. Some strains do mature in size and color later then others.
It was not mentioned in your post but care to share your source and strains you have acquired...would love to see a full tank shot only if you wish to share...

...Ralph

Ralph nailed the age and is totally right about the strains maturing at different rates. Please do share your discus with us. Love pictures. :)
Pat

Blademan
03-07-2015, 11:20 PM
Pat

Ralph nailed the age and is totally right about the strains maturing at different rates. Please do share your discus with us. Love pictures. :)
Pat
Here is a full tank shot, I am not sure of the names or strains as new to discus so any help is appreciated, and don't know if you have read my profile but I am UK born but have been living in China for the last three years 85277

Blademan
03-07-2015, 11:40 PM
Just managed to take a few more shots 85278

Blademan
03-07-2015, 11:46 PM

Second Hand Pat
03-08-2015, 12:13 AM
I'm basically a wilds keeper but do see two blue diamonds, three PB and a turquoise of some sort. Not sure about the red and yellow/orange with white face.

Altum Nut
03-08-2015, 11:50 AM
There are many different strain names given by breeders and/or hobbyist with one not necessarily correct over the other.
Pat mentioned some which I agree with and the others appear to be Millennium Gold or Yellow Crystal and Fuji Red or Red/White.
I will offer a suggestion that the Pigeons tend to pepper more with dark surroundings. I would remove the dark background and replace it with a lighter color. Your Discus along with driftwood/plants should stand out and more pleasing to the eye.

...Ralph

Blademan
03-08-2015, 08:36 PM
There are many different strain names given by breeders and/or hobbyist with one not necessarily correct over the other.
Pat mentioned some which I agree with and the others appear to be Millennium Gold or Yellow Crystal and Fuji Red or Red/White.
I will offer a suggestion that the Pigeons tend to pepper more with dark surroundings. I would remove the dark background and replace it with a lighter color. Your Discus along with driftwood/plants should stand out and more pleasing to the eye.

...Ralph

I am not sure about the background either, and may change it see if it looks better, thanks for the input

Blademan
03-11-2015, 12:29 AM
I am not sure about the background either, and may change it see if it looks better, thanks for the input

I have removed the background all together,the tank now looks bigger, cleaner and more simplistic, easyier on the eye so to speak

Blademan
03-13-2015, 10:41 PM
photo without the backgroud

teslafan
11-05-2016, 05:56 PM
Hi guys,

We have a Fiamma Rosa from Kenny.

She was 3.5 inches on September 22, 2016, when we received her.

She began showing signs of wanting to breed (shaking, shimmering and eventually laying eggs) on October 3rd.

Here are 2 photos of her, one from from September 25th and one from October 26th. These show the darkness in her face from what we are gathering is the result of being in heat??) for lack of a better word!

She began laying eggs the second week of October and has done it 3 times now. All the eggs are eaten by herself, Mr. Blue or Paprika, so no babies.

We were shocked she is so sexually mature at such a young age.:eek: So far, no one has fertilized her eggs, yet she keeps cozying up to Mr. Blue and Paprika. Both of them are fawning over her, helping her clean the surfaces of the various places she lays her eggs, eating her eggs and taking turns shaking along with her.

Mr. Blue seems to be her protector and Paprika seems to be a love interest. :eek:

Juniper (who is our Neon Sapphire and came to us on Sept 22, 2016) is 4" and is starting to show a breeding tube. We think Juniper is a male, but not sure. He has started to shiver from time to time, and has been tagging along constantly with Walter, our 3.5 " Koi.
Too many love connections to keep up with! LOL

I have some questions:

1) Will Jesse's face ever turn milky white again, or will she stay darker?

2) Is breeding, or showing signs of wanting to breed, normal for such young fish?

3) Jesse shoots out air bubbles from her breeding tube from time to time. They go pretty far up towards the top of the tank? Any clue what that is? I can't find anything online about it.

4) What is the age where breeding no longer happens, (since Mr. Blue is 4.5 years old and appears to be partaking a bit)

Thank you much!!

Needless to say, this tank is on fire with hearts and love at the moment! LOL
:eek::eek:103753103754

CliffsDiscus
11-05-2016, 11:50 PM
Blademan,
Your Discus already looks at an age ready for breeding. Photo without background shows Discus
with cramp fins may want to check water quality.

Cliff