PDA

View Full Version : Darkness into the Light

Fishquake
03-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Okay, two discus in hospital tank for about a week. Starting to come around with metro and elevated temp. Its been suggested that I do an hour bath in 2.5 gallons of water with high dose of metro to complete the treatment. Which I will do. However, I've kept them in a 20 gallon tank, three sides covered and dimly lit. Now they are hiding when I increase the ambient light in the room. Any suggestions on acclimating them to light or have I caused another problem for these poor guys?

brewmaster15
03-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Okay, two discus in hospital tank for about a week. Starting to come around with metro and elevated temp. Its been suggested that I do an hour bath in 2.5 gallons of water with high dose of metro to complete the treatment. Which I will do. However, I've kept them in a 20 gallon tank, three sides covered and dimly lit. Now they are hiding when I increase the ambient light in the room. Any suggestions on acclimating them to light or have I caused another problem for these poor guys?

Bill,
What dose metro have you been using and what is this. "
Its been suggested that I do an hour bath in 2.5 gallons of water with high dose of metro to complete the treatment"?????? what dose? and where was this suggested?

-al
as for the light, they will acclimate fine once you have it on normal a bit.

Fishquake
03-11-2015, 05:05 AM
Al, I have been using use 1 capful (~9.7g) per 10 gallons of water of Hikari Metro+ for 6 days now. The concentrated, 1 hour bath was recommended by a local, highly respected LFS in NJ.

brewmaster15
03-11-2015, 05:30 AM
Al, I have been using use 1 capful (~9.7g) per 10 gallons of water of Hikari Metro+ for 6 days now. The concentrated, 1 hour bath was recommended by a local, highly respected LFS in NJ.

Hi Bill,
No offense meant but that LFS owner doesn't understand how metronidazole works biologically in a fish tank..When added to the water the medicine is taken up by the gills ...but the reason why it takes 7-10 days to treat is because the process is not fast...if you could get more meds into the fish with a high concentration bath for an hour...it would be great ...especially for people with very sick fish...but it just doesnt work that way. My advice is ignore that advice and just continue with Hikari +s recommended dosing for another 4 days. You will get far more meds into the fish than a high concentration 1 hour bath will and it will be more effective.
hth,
al

Fishquake
03-11-2015, 05:44 AM
Thank you Al, I really appreciate your input. Personally, I didn't like the idea of doing the concentrated bath. Though I was starting to feel like I was really doing a disservice to my guys by following the directions on the bottle. Now I will continue as you indicate for another 3 days.

brewmaster15
03-11-2015, 05:54 AM
Check in here Bill with a status before stopping the metro.

hth,
Al

Fishquake
03-11-2015, 07:29 AM
Will do. Thank you.

Fishquake
03-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Al, Discus are eating, one more than the other, but he was hospitalized first. I'm considering discontinuing the Metro treatment which is in its 7th day for one and 8th for the other, as well as begin lowering the temperature. Additionally, they are responding very well to the increased ambient light in the room (as you suggested). Does this sound good to you? Shall I put them back in the main aquarium when the temperature has been adjusted accordingly?

brewmaster15
03-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Bill,
It doesnt sound like they are 100% yet...I'd carry it a few more days.

hth,
al

Fishquake
03-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Al, Pigeon Red is eating readily and swimming well, in fact he started to become aggressive toward his tank mate so I concluded he had successfully recovered. Leaving the Flachen in there for a couple more days of metro treatment. Thanks for the help.

brewmaster15
03-14-2015, 04:51 PM
Glad to help Bill!

al