PDA

View Full Version : Where I'm at today

Loosir
03-22-2015, 10:24 PM
My father keep Discus for 20 years in Milwaukee (80's and 90's) while I was a kid. I'm new to the hobby but not the fish, and I must say I've watched years worth of water changes first hand, but as most children do I paid no attention. I've only a few things to offer here, one, I've read Simplydiscus for about a year and a half, and besides discipline I've learned most about keeping discus from this site. Two I bought from Hans. Three, I've killed 5 of 14 fish and two are stunted and one is peppered. So with that said, here's a video of where I'm at today. I think I'll start threads of these grow outs from old photos. They are young, and not breeding.

http://youtu.be/yulnNHruObk

Solid
03-22-2015, 10:39 PM
Those are some gorgeous fish!! Whatever you learned, it looks like it working!

blueluv
03-22-2015, 11:35 PM
Those are some gorgeous fish!! Whatever you learned, it looks like it working!

+1 great job and gorgeous discus. May I ask what you feed your discus ?

Loosir
03-23-2015, 12:21 AM
Thanks Blueluv,
They have not really had a steady diet as I'm kind of a newbe. (fresh water is a constant though)
Valentines day I made my own BH mix for the first time. Currently I give BH and one upside down cone of Al's FDBWs in the morning , when I get home they get BH at night.

Before this is a long story and I'm seriously not sure why they are still alive. I got them at 2.5" from Hans around 8/2014 and started them out with Hans' Colbalt flake using an auto feeder a few times a day. I bought raw salmon 2 weeks later but I lost 2 fish the next few days. One darted into the glass, and one jumped out (I assume he darted out) I posted my concerns and I QT'd with metro. I think the Salmon was freshwater not saltwater and the rest eventually recovered, but I think that's what stunted the Pigeon SS and the Dark Angel.
I bought 2lbs of Hans Beef mix at the end of October 2014 and also tried feeding straight ground beef. I have feed 4 or so packs of San Francisco BH and Brine Shrimp from time to time. So to sum it up, not to consistent.

brewmaster15
03-23-2015, 08:05 AM
So just goes to show you that Kids can follow in their Parents fish keeping footsteps!:) Glad that he set you on the proper Discus keeping course!

al

rickztahone
03-23-2015, 11:58 AM
hard to tell that you didn't have a consistent feeding schedule. They look great. Yeah, you have some runts there, but almost every tank has that odd ball out, lol.

Loosir
03-23-2015, 12:30 PM
hard to tell that you didn't have a consistent feeding schedule. They look great. Yeah, you have some runts there, but almost every tank has that odd ball out, lol.

Haha, Problem with the runts is I really start rooting for those underdogs!