PDA

View Full Version : Planted refugium

inigomontoya
03-24-2015, 12:08 PM
I am setting/have set up a former reef tank for discus using artificial plants and driftwood in the display. The display tank is set up but the discus are in a grow out tank at around 3.5-4". I have a large sump with a drain area that moves into the return and an isolated refugium that is fed by a T off the return and a fairly low flow. That section drains back into the return section.
In a reef tank this would be used for chaeto and miscellaneous for filtration, pod growth, cool macros, etc. I already had it setup that way with a separate led so figure I can use it similarly for the freshwater.

Any suggestions for plants that serve to export nitrates well but also don't require separate CO2? The sump can be seen but aesthetics are secondary, more a supplemental filtration. Getting into any higher maintenance plant would defeat the purpose of having them in the refugium/sump area.

Larry Grenier
03-24-2015, 12:35 PM
As far as nitrate & other contaminants export, emersed plants are usually the best bet because they aren't limited by the carbon in the water column, they can take CO2 right out of the air so they can grow faster with lower needs. Look at water hyacinth, & pothos. As far a submersed plants go, use fast growing stem plants such as anacharis or hornwort. I have a giant amazon sword that has grown out of the tank and hanging runner all over the place on one of my sumps and tons of pothos over the top.

I believe that water hyacinth needs good light while pothos doesn't need that much.

pitdogg2
03-24-2015, 12:45 PM
This ^^^^^^^^ Above

inigomontoya
03-24-2015, 02:19 PM
Thanks, for the pothos- is that epipremnum aureum? Like the house plant? Unfortunately, hyacinth is illegal in TX so that is out, but the pothos looks easy. Will mix that with the hornwort.

Larry Grenier
03-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Yep, that's it. Trick is, keep the leaves above the surface or they will rot.
Do a search on "Pothos aquarium Filter" and you'll see what I mean. I have to trim the roots and leaves on mine every few months.

inigomontoya
03-24-2015, 03:12 PM
Awesome, that's exactly the concept I was looking for. Googling found chinese evergreen as another alternative, never thought about hydroponically using land based plants but seems like it works well. Mixing that with hornswort and swords should be an interesting look.

oliverk
04-07-2015, 06:07 PM
If you are keeping leaves above the water you essentially are running aquaponics.

If you have a substrate any bog plant will work for you..... there are many specialty water garden nurseries that can provide both plants and advice.

In my boggy areas I am finding watercress, Chineese arrowhead, water spinach all good and require moderate degrees of light. I also rather like my water chestnuts that do want a couple of inches of water on top of the substrate the leaves exted well beyond the water surface. I have both in my filter for my planted community discus tank.

Lotus of varying sizes should also work well depending on the depth of water etc., and like water and not so much substrate or at least water above the substrate. the smaller bowl lotus is often grown indoors for their flowers. Indeed I am adding lotus to the filter for my planted discus tank.

All of the above plants are also edible in whole or part if you care about that.

If you add a certain amount of bubble air not strictly CO2 you can add a lot of plants as long as you provide floatation support for them. See numerous articles on hydroponics or aquaponics.