PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of a Future Photographer...

brewmaster15
03-30-2015, 09:39 AM
I had planned a trip to a nearby park with my son this past weekend for some Photography lessons. Unfortunately Mother Nature was in a foul mood, and we faced perpetual snow that day. We did still manage to get out and he practiced some shots. I did not take my gear, just my phone as it took both of us to keep his bag of gear and camera dry from the falling snow.

I did manage a couple of shots for the day with my phone....

For a smart phone, I am pretty happy with the pics... I didn't do any serious edits...just a tad sharpened to bring out the bark texture.

al

Second Hand Pat
03-30-2015, 09:47 AM
I think those are darn nice pictures for a smart phone Al. Ethan is looking darn near professional in your pictures. So when taking pictures under these conditions the only exposed part of the camera/lens is the end of the lens? and you place your head under to camera umbrella to site thru the view finder?
Pat

brewmaster15
03-30-2015, 10:30 AM
Hi Pat,
Yes, what we did is cover the camera and Lens with a large bag...I like the clear ones. I poke a hole in the bag and have the front of the lens stick out a little. It was snowing alot that day,and it was a directional slow falling snow, so we positioned ourselves with our back to the snow fall. It can be tricky if its windy and the snow/rain is blowing all over... water spots on the lens can be an issue.

We honestly didnt take many pictures, as it was getting pretty challenging....he was practicing manual focus and framing the images. The camera is new to him, so he was learning alot about its various functions. The goal for the trip was slow speed water, but with all the white snow, and falling snow it really could not happen..so we try again once this white junk melts!

al

brewmaster15
03-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Heres a couple of shots that he took that he likes...

-al

I like this one the best.....

brewmaster15
03-30-2015, 10:57 AM
While we were waiting for the snow to stop he played around the house with a few other lens.. heres a couple he took with a 50 mm manual lens...the model is his lazy fat cat "matt" sprawling on the couch.

al

Second Hand Pat
03-30-2015, 11:00 AM
I like the one he took of you taking a picture of him. :) Question; the last two pictures you play with the shutter speed for different water effects?

brewmaster15
03-30-2015, 11:15 AM
Question; the last two pictures you play with the shutter speed for different water effects? He was playing around with varying exposure there..

Both images were taken using ISO 100 as a setting, and aperture set at F/5.6

One was taken with a exposure of 1/90 sec the other was 1/15th sec

1/15th

1/90th

Discus-n00b
03-30-2015, 12:14 PM
Who said kids shouldn't put plastic bags over their heads?! PSHHHHHH! This is great Al! I love how your son is getting into photography, reminds me of myself following my dad's footsteps and the time spent learning. I like the photos, especially the cat! I don't have to much experience with it but snow can be tough to shoot as all of the white makes it easy to overexpose a lot of the image. Looking forward to your son's photos once spring/summer hit up there, I have a feeling we are in for some good stuff.

rickztahone
03-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Great stuff Al. Good example of slower shutter speed to get that milky water flow.

Ardan
03-31-2015, 06:48 AM
Great for Ethan and you!
He did a great job on the photos.
I like those water shots, and the cat:)
Ardan

Blademan
04-28-2015, 04:44 AM
loved the outdoor photos, looks so clean

dagray
04-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Great stuff Al, and good for you for letting your son play with your camera :) I took my son last Saturday to the bicycle races and let him play with my K5 body with the 18-55 kit lens.

brewmaster15
04-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Thanks Dave. He is actually the owner now. He inherited one of my k20ds this past year. Upgraded him from the k2000 he had. He has a complete package, several lens,tripod,ETC... and off course access to all his Dads gear. My wife and Daughter used to as well..you know what they say..the family that shoots together..lol....but they prefer their smart phones these days...so its just me and mini me with the gear.

dagray
04-28-2015, 02:05 PM
Al, I am looking forward to two balloon festivals this year that are within a two hour drive from me :) I am sure my oldest will confiscate one of my cameras :) I am thinking of giving him my K20 and the kit lens and buying the Weather resistant kit lens to replace that lens :)

But I so love that K20d for portraits.