PDA

View Full Version : would like some advice/input on my discus!

shadeslayer
04-09-2015, 10:48 PM
So I started my tank about 5 weeks ago, and after letting cycling I got my first discus. If you would please look at the pictures below and let me know how I am progressing?
I have a 55 gallon, penn plax 1000 canister filter with 1 compartment with sponge(coarse and fine), another compartment with fine sponge and a bag of pro-carb on top and the third
compartment has fluval biomax bio rings; water is at 82 degrees F and ph 6.5, no nitrite, little bit of nitrate, 2.0 ppm ammonia (I was told not to worry that this is nontoxic and after using PRIME my test kit will give some false readings)

Petstore - I bought this beauty from Petland Discounts. It was after seeing him/her that I just knew I had to have her in my tank.
I bought her at 3 inches.

Somethingphishy - my family and friends were a bit too ecstatic and bought these fish for me as a surprise. It is only recently after reading reviews online that I was really afraid for 2 weeks.
They arrived quite fatigued and looked sickly. I had them in my QT tank for a while, I was giving them constant care (almost as much as my patients in the ER! haha) It was only after I was sure they were not sick and after constant care and I was happy with their color that I put them in my 55 gallon. Please let me know what you guys think because I am afraid for them, I just want them to be healthy. The Siam Red Master Discus was supposed to be all red over entire body but I don't see it yet (my mom is very unhappy with somethingphishy).

Hans - I just got this beauty about 2 days ago. I am so amazed with Hans and his shipping and his attention to his customers. I am so looking forward to this beauty growing up

anyway, I'm still a beginner so please give me any advice or questions you have for me!

Banzai883
04-10-2015, 06:26 AM
with so many small fish I think what I would do if i were you is to concentrate on feeding them good quality food and keeping up with your water changes. I started like you too with some small fish from Hans. The small ones I got are now over 5 inches in just 7 months or so. Some of them have laid eggs already as well. Keep your temp constant and be vigilant with physical changes on your fish. Watch them and make sure they are all acting and eating normally. I really do not recommend mixing discus from different suppliers but I see you have already done that. Have some medication ready at all times even if you dont have sick fish. Metronidazole is a staple in the hobby. Keep things simple. Dont over complicate things by adding too many stuff. Have a quarantine tank if you have space. Lastly, just enjoy the hobby. The moment you stop enjoying it and it becomes a chore is the moment I think you have to give it up. Put in the time and work and all of that will show on your fish. good luck mate.

DiscusJimmy
04-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Hi,

Firstly welcome to the wonderful world of discus! Be warned this is a very addictive hobby!

if your aquarium had cycled you should not have any ammonia in the system at all. You are right that ammonia is less toxic at a lower pH but you will still get a nitrite spike once the bacteria kick in to break down that ammonia. Due to your low pH the formation of a bacterial colony will be much slower so the process is going to take longer. Typically cycling a tank will take 6 - 8 weeks but with the low pH this will take longer.

As you've already got fish in there, you will have to test that water regularly and most likely be changing massive amounts daily. Get some salt ready for when the nitrite starts to show up and double dose the Prime. Remember prime will only temporarily detoxify ammonia and nitrite for 24-48 hours (i would lean more towards 24 though).

I have used a product called Tetra Safe Start to aid with cycling.... I'm sure others will chime in as well.