PDA

View Full Version : Beginner needing help with basics

Luke S.
04-11-2015, 11:11 PM
Hello i'm new to discus and wanted to know what I should keep my ph and get my gh/kh to.

Also, where can I get peat moss in a different form than the natural type. So it's in chunks or something like that because this in the natural form is too messy to put in my filter.

Please respond, Thx.

Second Hand Pat
04-11-2015, 11:19 PM
Hello i'm new to discus and wanted to know what I should keep my ph and get my gh/kh to.

Also, where can I get peat moss in a different form than the natural type. So it's in chunks or something like that because this in the natural form is too messy to put in my filter.

Please respond, Thx.

Hi Luke and welcome to Simply. Do you have discus now? and why do you feel that you need to mess with your water parameters? Most folks keep domestic discus in their tap water. No need to mess with your ph, gh or kh. Also no need for peat.
Pat

Luke S.
04-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Second hand pat are discus ok in a very low ph of 5.6 if so or not what can they be at in the lowest

DiscusJimmy
04-13-2015, 04:06 AM
Is your water source at 5.6? If so, why do you need the peat?

If you're new to discus, I really would advise not to go playing around with the water; trying to chase a perfect pH, KH and GH. Unless you have really bad water to start with.

Keep things nice and simple, with lots of clean water, good food and good tank husbandry and the fish will thank you for it.

Jim

Second Hand Pat
04-13-2015, 08:08 AM
Hi Luke, why do you ask? I am not totally sure what the lowest ph wild discus naturally occur at but most people here on the forum maintain their domestic discus in their tap water.
Pat

John_Nicholson
04-13-2015, 08:24 AM
As has been asked above why do you think you need to mess with your water? Most of the time you will be better off by just making sure you keep it clean.

Please respond, Thx.

-john

DISCUS STU
04-13-2015, 10:43 AM
Peat moss, low ph and carbonate hardness used to be recommended but generally aren't anymore as maintaining these parameters are difficult. Ph's at 5.6 can be also be prone to dramatic and potentially dangerous ph crashes. The fish themselves are mostly raised in higher ph and harder water conditions and really don't require this. Many peats also have fertilizers in them which can be a very big problem.

As stated above, just keep the water clean; low in bacteria and that should work out well. Higher ph's are fine and less prone to nasty crashes.