PDA

View Full Version : Sump setup design 6x18x18

axl10
04-15-2015, 05:36 AM
Hi Guys,
planning out my 6x18x18 sump setup and have been talking to Colin from Go Troppo Aquariums as he had alot of experience in bigger aquariums. This sump is going to be for my 9x2.5x2.5 planted discus tank. He said that he would have the sump in 4 sections with the following

Colin said you drop each section by 2 inches

Section 1: 16 inches baffles I'm assuming you have this 16 inches from the top and have 2 to 3 inches at the bottom for the water to flow down through and into next section
Overflow goes in there with Japanese mat, 20ppi Poret foam, Ceramic noodles and eggcrate for them to sit on off the bottom. Does this sound right?

Section 2: 14 inches baffles from bottom up with up so the water flows over the top and 10ppi, 20ppi, 30ppi poret foam in there.

Section 3: 13.5 inch baffles, wasnt sure where to position this one, do you have it 13.5 inches from the bottom so the water flows through the bottom? Uv steriliser in here

Section 4: Pump and heaters will live in here

Colin said make sure it flows down and the up and then down etc

Any help would be appreciated just trying to get my head around where to put the baffles and what to put in each section as i have never used a sump before.

I'm assuming i only need 3 baffles with this setup???

What distance would you have each baffle spread out to?

Cheers Axl

rickztahone
04-17-2015, 10:00 PM
I am actually currently working on making a sump myself. I have done a lot of research and I can tell you that it is difficult to find 2 sumps that are the same. Most people build them according to their needs. With that being said, check out my thread and see what my layout will be for the sump. It may give you an idea:

These are the sketches here:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?117743-Yet-another-Journal-75g-Acrylic-w-40g-sump-build-thread&p=1145614&viewfull=1#post1145614

and here is the layout for the sump I am in the process of making:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?118508-Lets-see-those-sumps&p=1152482&viewfull=1#post1152482