PDA

View Full Version : Too much current?

mcaquatic
04-15-2015, 11:59 PM
I am a long term hobbyist but have not done discus for a while. I just set up a 72 gallon bowfront in the bedroom to soon hold some discus. I was sorting through my filter stock and had an AC110 and fx5 laying around. I like to have to filters running. Will this provide too much current for the tank?

thanks

monching
04-16-2015, 12:11 AM
I have a penn plax cascade 1200 and a aqueon 55/75 in my 30 gal. tank and I don't see any problem. I just bounce the flow on the tank wall and my discus doesn't seem to mind at all.:) Cascade 1200 is rated up to 150 Gal. and Aqueon is up to 90 Gal. my water is always crystal clear.

dagray
04-16-2015, 01:17 PM
With the FX 5 you will probably want to run the output through a sponge filter to defuse the flow, or run it through a spray bar.

you could try running the output as a vertical straight pipe with the exhaust as close to the bottom as you can get it (maybe with a mall angle on the pipe), or you can try to bounce the output off of the back corner of the tank.

I have a Fluval 406 where the exhaust is as deep as I can get it and bounced off the corner of the back of the tank.

I get high flow with low current this way.

bamzam
04-18-2015, 01:25 AM
With the FX 5 you will probably want to run the output through a sponge filter to defuse the flow, or run it through a spray bar.

you could try running the output as a vertical straight pipe with the exhaust as close to the bottom as you can get it (maybe with a mall angle on the pipe), or you can try to bounce the output off of the back corner of the tank.

I have a Fluval 406 where the exhaust is as deep as I can get it and bounced off the corner of the back of the tank.

I get high flow with low current this way.

Sorry for my newbie questions, I am new to this as well, but do the fish get enough air if you direct the spray bar at the wall? I use only an eheim classic 600 in a 75 gallon. The output goes through a horizontal spray bar near the top and pointed directly sideways. I read somewhere that a current or movement at the top was needed to help with the oxygen. However, even at the other side of the tank from the spray bar, I've noticed when the fish are not actively swimming, they'll get caught in the current and pushed toward the other end. Is this annoying/stressful to them?

Twistofer
04-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Take a look at my thread...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?119322-Best-Way-to-Diffuse-the-Return-from-my-Sump

HTH