PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Help

ImperatorVires
04-16-2015, 10:08 AM
Hello All,

I posted a couple of months ago asking questions about how to start a discus tank, etc, and I am happy to report that I finally have my discus tank set up! I have a 55 gallon, and have had it set up for around 10 weeks. I have a Aquaclear/Fluval 50 HOB, and sponge filter, and a Fluval 306 canister all running with BioMax, and Poly Fil to polish. That might be overkill, but I'd rather be safe if something breaks down or when I need a quarantine tank, I'll already have something to use. My water parameters are... 82 degrees, Ph 8.2, Ammonia .25 (with API Liquid), 0 (with free ammonia test), Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 5 -10 ppm. I have 6 cardinals, and two cory cats in the tank currently.

So this last weekend, I was up in Lansing and went to Pruces's Pet Store which is an extremely nice, family owned LFS, and picked up two discus. They actually get their stock from Hans. ( and Yes I know, I will be getting more this weekend or next). I got a Panda Pigeon Blood, and a Blue Turquoise. I put them into a 5 gallon bucket with their water, and used a drip system for 5 hours to acclimate them to the new water conditions. Both are around 3.5-4 Inches, in great condition, swimming around, and will even eat Discus Delight (beefhear, brineshimp, mix at LFS makes) out of my hand. I have been doing 25% water changes every other day, but after reading more on the forum I decided to do a 50% change yesterday. I have been doing daily, or more tests on the water parameters, and nothing has changed... kinda off.

For the last 10 weeks with this tank, and last couple of years with other tanks, my Ph has been out of the tap at 8.2, and stabilized at 8.2 even after aging. When I checked my Ph yesterday a couple of hours after the 50% WC, my Ph had dropped to 8.0. I was freaking out and checked my guppy tank (which I had done an 80% WC) and it was at 7.8! So I checked my tap water, and it was reading Ph of 7.8. I have been extremely anal about checking everything 3 times a week for the last 10 weeks, and my tap water has never been that low. I did age a 5 gallon bucket last night with an air stone, and the Ph stabilized back at 8.2 after 12 hours, so I would assume that the water company (city water) added something this last weekend to lower the Ph. My questions are...

Age my water from now on? Yes?
What could have the water company done to lower the Ph?
Will my discus be okay when I put 8.2 Ph aged water back into the tank? I understand that it is about consistency.

I still have the bucket of water "aging" so I can see what it is at after 24, and 48 hours. I have been waiting so long, and put a lot of work into creating a great home for these beautiful fish, as well as money. I would hate to have something bad happen to them due to water changing, and I don't want to add anymore discus until I get it figured out. (Not fair to them) A quick note, I do use Prime, and the API liquid test kit. Thanks in advance!

ImperatorVires
04-16-2015, 10:14 AM

Here are a couple of quick pictures from the 2nd day

alron2
04-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Sounds like your water has CO2 in it. When the CO2 leaves the water the PH goes down. Did the water company add a new well? Call the water company, they test the water at the well and will probably give you a report if you ask.

Aging water is always better (safer) than straight from the tap, but at 50% or less I think you are safe using it without aging if you must.

Ron

ImperatorVires
04-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Thanks Ron,

I just got home from work, all of my tanks are now back at 8.2 Ph, including th me aged bucket, and the tap is at 7.8. I also called th water company and talked the the lab, which told me the city is actually run on ground water. So their standard range is from 6.5-8.5. That is scary... I hope that the water will all still stabilize at 8.2 but I guess I'll have to find out. For now it looks like I'll be aging my water for 12 hours at least, test the Ph and then do WC.

It looks like a lot of people use the Brute barrels. Are the all the same quality? I saw a 32 gallon at Home Depot for $29.99. Does that sound about right? I would hate to have to explain to my fiancée why there is water all over the floor lol

lilsky
04-18-2015, 11:37 PM
surely that ph is high i keep my discus at 6.5 to 6.8 and most stores look at keeping theirs at 7?

tonytheboss1
04-20-2015, 10:42 AM
:bandana: pH is gonna vary across the board due to various locations & circumstances. Fish tend to naturally adapt to these variations as long as they are not too extreme & sudden. A 0.4 temporary swing is not critical. I would be a little concerned about their "standard range" (6.5/8.5) which is an acidic to alkaline swing. That could be somewhat stressful. All in all, testing, aging & smaller W/C's will help mitigate the potential for pH shock. "T"

ImperatorVires
04-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Thanks Tony,

I have started aging my water in a Brute trash can, with a heater and an airstone. After 12-15 hours the PH has stabilized at 8.2 every time so I'm a little less worried. The fiancee isn't too happy about the trash can sitting the office over night, but whatever lol.

I have a second question. My discus have been getting more comfortable with their surroundings. They will both come out and swim around, but never stay out in the open too long. They really like the side that has a big fake root and fake plants. There is a two cory cats, 4 snow white danios, 3 mollies and 4 male guppies with them right now. All of the fish swim around the discus under the fake tree root, and they don't seem afraid or bothered at all, but all the sudden today, my Blue Turquoise starting freaking out. I turned the light on this morning, showed him the food bag, like every other feeding, and he flipped out, and swam all over the tank. He didn't hurt himself, but went into the corner by the sponge filter and wouldn't come out, was breathing heavy, and his stress bars started to show also. I believe it kinda freaked out my Panda Pigeon Blood as well because I didn't see him eating either. I have only had them for a week, so could they still be getting used to their surroundings? Should I take most of the decorations out minus the big fake tree root or will that really stress them out? They Turquoise likes to hide a lot when the light is on. I am debating removing the other fish minus the corys and danios, but idk. Will getting more discus make them feel safer? I have been reading a lot on here, but you can find so many different viewpoints.

Before you ask, the water parameters are Temp 82, Ph 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate is 10ppm (as of this morning & I'm doing a 40-50% water change tonight)

Solid
04-20-2015, 08:06 PM
I have only had them for a week, so could they still be getting used to their surroundings?
Yes. They are probably still getting used to their surroundings and getting comfortable with you. In my experience it has taken months for them to really settle in, and even then from time to time will get spooked, if I approach to fast or with dark colored clothes.

They Turquoise likes to hide a lot when the light is on. I am debating removing the other fish minus the corys and danios, but idk.
Getting rid of other fast swimming fish might help, but i don't think it's necessary. You might consider removing the danios as I believe 80+ temps is too warm for them.

Will getting more discus make them feel safer?
Yes. Discus do best in groups of five or more. The more the better. They feel much more safer when they have buddies around them, for protection and to provide social queues.

ImperatorVires
04-20-2015, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone! I did a big water change tonight, and moved everyone out expect the corys, danios, and discus. They have been hiding out after I got done. The Turq is really stressed out, but not zipping around. I turned the lights off in the aquarium but leaving the room light in low (hell yes for dimming light switches). I've read somewhere on here that leaving it dark and not feed them for a day could help them feel more comfortable? I'm looking into getting some more friends for them ASAP! Thanks everyone!

Kyla
04-27-2015, 11:37 PM
how did it go? did they calm down? did u end up getting more discus? one thing i wanted to mention re: their apparent change in behaviour is that it can sometimes take weeks for symptoms of disease or pathogens to present themselves. hopefully this wasnt the case with ur discus.

u mentioned u planned to get more... once u know ur original ones are healthy its a good idea to quarantine any new ones before adding them to ur main tank, just to be sure they dont bring in any illness or unwanted parasites etc

ImperatorVires
04-28-2015, 03:28 PM
Hey, things have turned out great. My turq is eating great, and has calmed down. He is still a little bit stressed due to the Panda Pigeon Blood picking on him. He was standing up to him for a while but now just runs. I am planning on getting 3 more within the next week or two, so my total would be 5. Idk if I will be ordering from Kenny's Discus, or my LFS. My LFS, Prucess Pets, in Lansing MI, orders their stock from Hans Discus, and quarantines them for 5 weeks before they go on sale. So either, no shipping or shipping costs. I'm waiting to see Kenny's May shipment first.

I posted another thread about finding a 75 gallon w/stand for a great deal, but I'm still working out the details, or I might just buy a new 75 gallon for $100 at Prucess, and build my own stand. My father and I remodeled our entire house to simple wood glue, screws, drills, and a level are pretty easy to do!

My plan is to get a 75, and put the new discus in there for at least 6 weeks for quarantine, and once that process is complete to put my other two discus, and cories from the 55 into the 75. I'm going to put the rest of my three 10 gallon tanks into the 55 as a community tank lol.

Mad357
04-29-2015, 03:14 PM
glad to hear all is well with your fish. I built a stand & hood a few years back & it turned out awesome. a lot better quality than ones I looked at in stores & was cheaper in long run. sounds like you would have no problem if you remodeled. good luck with your project & keep us updated on fish.
miked.