PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl vs Rubber Hoses Please Help

Mrs. J
04-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Getting ready to pump water to new tank. Husband purchased Heavy Duty Rubber Hose which has a very strong odor. Flooded it with lots of water.
Smells a lot like a tire store! Should I buy a vinyl hose to use instead? Need at least 30 to 50 feet so could get a vinyl garden hose. Suggestions, please. He is ready to pull the trigger....as usual I am "overly cautious" Thanks, Julia

Second Hand Pat
04-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Julia, I can not comment on the rubber hoses as have used vinyl or you could get a RV potable water hose.
Pat

Second Hand Pat
04-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Perhaps the trick on the rubber hosing is asking if it can be used for potable water systems.

DonMD
04-17-2015, 04:53 PM
If you're really concerned about it, you can find potable water hoses on websites for mobile homes ~ they sell hoses for drinking water. Just a thought.

Mrs. J
04-17-2015, 05:51 PM
Thank you, rather than err on the wrong side, I went to our local hardware store and bought the 50 foot RV potable water hose. Fills a little slower, but works well.
Appreciate you guys input. I probably would not have thought of using this, and pulled my hair out. Less than $20J for peace of mind. Julia

rickztahone
04-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Thank you, rather than err on the wrong side, I went to our local hardware store and bought the 50 foot RV potable water hose. Fills a little slower, but works well.
Appreciate you guys input. I probably would not have thought of using this, and pulled my hair out. Less than $20J for peace of mind. Julia

It is always better to be safe than sorry. Good choice

Twistofer
04-18-2015, 01:06 PM
The "Rubber Tire Smell" is from the Vulcanization Process to make the "rubber, rubber." If my organic chemistry memories of over 35 years ago (egad!) serves me, the process involves sulfur and sulfides. For tires, it's OK, but for aquaria, I wouldn't recommend it. Go with vinyl or as advised above, potable water hose. I use vinyl which when new had an odor. I have a habit of throwing an auxiliary canister filter, which has fresh activated charcoal in it, on my tank for about 24 -72 hours whenever I do a major water change even if I use RODI water. Activated charcoal adsorbs many organic compounds and heavy metals. Plastics and other polymers do break down over time. The other thing I learned, if it smells bad, don't use it.

Mrs. J
04-20-2015, 10:47 PM
You are so right. I pretty much stick to the same idea...prefer a "no stink" policy. We won't discuss how many years ago we had chemistry! Good advice on using carbon with large water change. I don't usually use it, but can see the logic. See you are in Montana (?) I have family in Billings and throughout the northwest. Miss it.
Thanks for your help Julia