PDA

View Full Version : New vs old tank PH Help Please

Mrs. J
04-19-2015, 06:05 PM
Getting ready to transfer babies to new 90 gallon tank...Checked ph in new tank and tap both at 7.4.. Checked the older tank and after three tries got the same ph each time 6.0! No new changes to old tank, except added an additional filter a few weeks back. All eating and healthy...but will not move them until I can get to the drastic drop. Aged water is also testing 7.4. Should I do a massive wc to the old tank to see if ph changes. Add water from old tank to new, and new to old. No airstones in either...but water in old tank is moving more with addition of filter to old tank. HELP Julia

dagray
04-19-2015, 06:09 PM
drain 1/2 to 3/4 of the water from the new tank and fill it back up with water from the old tank. Fill old tank back up . PH should be about the same in each tank then. monitor for a few days and if stable transfer the fish. If PH is still too high put some peat moss in, and the peat will drop the PH some.

Mrs. J
04-19-2015, 06:41 PM
Thank you, that's pretty much what I had planned to do....Never seems to go smoothly. Ph has always been stable, until now. Will change and monitor.
See you are in Oregon. Lived there at Colton and worked in Portland. Always my desire to move back. Julia

dagray
04-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Thank you, that's pretty much what I had planned to do....Never seems to go smoothly. Ph has always been stable, until now. Will change and monitor.
See you are in Oregon. Lived there at Colton and worked in Portland. Always my desire to move back. Julia

I am on the dry side of Oregon about a three hour drive due east from Portland on the Columbia River.

If you are on city water they may have made a change that effected the PH.

Mrs. J
04-19-2015, 07:00 PM
That was my thought too, I tested my city water and it is the 7.4 Whatever is going on is in the 60 gallon I am transferring from. Taking it one step at a time.

Kingdom Come Discus
04-19-2015, 07:24 PM
Could you tell us a little more about the old tank? Bare bottom, water change schedule, how many fish?
Also, what is the hardness of your city water?
Thanks

John_Nicholson
04-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Fish can take an increase in ph without any real issues. It is only when moving them from high to low tht it causes any issues. Fish water is an acid which causes the ph to drop in tanks. How much it drops depends on your wc schedule and the buffering capicity of your water.

-john

Mrs. J
04-19-2015, 08:09 PM
Thanks John...makes me feel much better.....Working on the changes as we speak, unfortunately my hubby just pumped 30 gallons of old water onto my hardwood floor....when it "rains it pours"! Onward and hopefully upward. Really appreciate your input Julia

rickztahone
04-19-2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks John...makes me feel much better.....Working on the changes as we speak, unfortunately my hubby just pumped 30 gallons of old water onto my hardwood floor....when it "rains it pours"! Onward and hopefully upward. Really appreciate your input Julia

sorry to hear that. When we had a decision to make versus tile or wood, tile was my answer specifically due to possible spills, lol.

Mrs. J
04-19-2015, 08:31 PM
Would have been my choice too...he bought the house without my seeing it due to job transfer...I did ask him NOT to pump from 60 gallon to 90 gallon because I was afraid he would forget to check it....did not clip hose to 90 gallon...out it came. Fortunately I had a wet/dry vac handy. Guess this should go on the mistakes I have made part of the forum! Really want to replace the floors anyway, not good quality from the builder...right after Katrina, slap them together and sell them. Making upgrades as we can. Can always cover with carpet if we decide to sell. Thanks again. Always appreciate hearing from you guys, always feel better. Julia