PDA

View Full Version : Good places to have prints and photo products made

dagray
04-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Here is a list of places I have used for prints and photo products (calendars, coffee cups, cutting boards)

I will start with a list of places that do well with prints in the order in which I use them

White House Custom Color: www.whcc.com this company is more geared toward the photo studio and they require an account be created and a credit card on file. They do excellent work and print on many types of paper and other media. I have had them print on high gloss, semi- gloss, metallic paper (paper impregnated with aluminum or copper oxide which was originally for black and white prints), and canvas. For canvas they use sublimation which is to print the photo on a plastic film and then heat press it into the canvas. they also have small wooden boxes, CD cases and other products. a 16x24 inch print in a nice wood frame ready to hang cost me under $150.00 last year.

MPIX.com I have used them for calendars, and some prints. They have many other photo products available. They do a good job, but don't have the paper I prefer to print on. They also are available to the average Joe who just wants a print made, so they take credit card, but don't require an account.

Costco. Costco has a wonderful photo service and also print on a few different papers and canvas. Costco has a great scanning service to take your slides and negatives and digitize them so you can use them in today's digital world

For Coffee Mugs I use www.discountmugs.com, but I have had to stress that the finished product was for resale. They use sublimation to put the image on the coffee cups. This is for when you are ordering the same print on 30 or more mugs at a time. Mugs with photos on them shouldn't go through a sanitize cycle of a dishwasher or be used in a microwave as that causes the image to fade rapidly. Hand wash is the way to go with photo mugs or mugs with prints you want to keep for a long time.

There are other print services out there and some do fantastic work, I can only attest to my experiences :)

Blessings,
Dave

rickztahone
04-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Good to know Dave. I have not used too many printing services as I do a lot of my own printing at home and spend the money on higher end paper. The most I can print is 13x19 though so anything larger than that and I have to use other services. The one I use the most I have found is Shutterfly. The printing quality is fine, not professional grade, they don't require calibration information, but they do a decent job. I have turned to them for larger personal print stuff. I am yet to print a canvas shot or my dream to print on an actual metal surface. I forgot where I read this type of print and I have always wanted to try it. Can't for the life of me remember the actual name though.

dagray
04-20-2015, 04:44 PM
Rick,
WHCC prints on Metal (usually aluminum) also I can print on metallic paper and have the print mounted (16x24 inch) for $50.00 or less. I have an Epson Stylus 1400 Photo printer that I can print up to 13 x 19 on, but I found with the cost of ink and paper it was less expensive in the long run to use a print service.

I also use WHCC to print greeting cards ($30-$40 for a pack of 25 cards with envelope) and while I usually only include one image on the card they are set up for four images (both covers and both inside pages).

The difference between Shutterfly and WHCC quality is incredible with WHCC blowing the competition away. Metal print price list https://www.whcc.com/products/wall-displays/metal-prints#pricing

rickztahone
04-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Rick,
WHCC prints on Metal (usually aluminum) also I can print on metallic paper and have the print mounted (16x24 inch) for $50.00 or less. I have an Epson Stylus 1400 Photo printer that I can print up to 13 x 19 on, but I found with the cost of ink and paper it was less expensive in the long run to use a print service.

I also use WHCC to print greeting cards ($30-$40 for a pack of 25 cards with envelope) and while I usually only include one image on the card they are set up for four images (both covers and both inside pages).

The difference between Shutterfly and WHCC quality is incredible with WHCC blowing the competition away. Metal print price list https://www.whcc.com/products/wall-displays/metal-prints#pricing

I'll give them a try. One of the main reasons (personally) that I started with shutterfly is because they would give me coupons for free 101 4x6's prints. I did this no less than 5 times (for free) and after a while, I just kept using their services for personal work. Thanks for the info. I also meant 13x19 above, not 11x19

dagray
04-20-2015, 05:28 PM
they will send you five free 8x10s to ensure that what you get as prints match the color output of your monitor. they also are always having sales on various products, and if they don't think a photo will print well, or you don't have the photo set up correctly in their template they will give you a phone call. I had a photo that was grainy, and they called to let me know it was grainy, and when I confirmed that I was aware and to print anyway they did. That photo was one of the last of my father in law that I took with a manual 600mm Sigma lens from 1/2 a baseball diamond away, and the noise/grain in the photo really set the perfect mood.

Discus-n00b
04-20-2015, 05:55 PM
I use Adoramapix. Used them for regular glossy, metallic glossy, and metal prints so far all of which have been fantastic. If you follow them, or any of these usually, on twitter/facebook/social media they usually always will have some type of discount code or deal going for prints.

dagray
04-20-2015, 08:37 PM
I use Adoramapix. Used them for regular glossy, metallic glossy, and metal prints so far all of which have been fantastic. If you follow them, or any of these usually, on twitter/facebook/social media they usually always will have some type of discount code or deal going for prints.

I have heard they do good work.