PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Asian and German

Fishquake
04-28-2015, 06:10 AM
Has anyone one experienced any significant health issues when mixing either German and/or Asian Discus? If so what were they and what was your resolution?

Keith Perkins
04-28-2015, 06:39 AM
The same quarantine procedures should be followed whenever introducing new discus regardless of the source. It doesn't matter if the new source is a LFS, breeder, or continent.

Fishquake
04-28-2015, 07:23 AM
How about if QT is done properly, can just bringing them into the same house, not even the same tank cause issues from airborne bacteria or perhaps other types of cross contamination?

farebox
04-28-2015, 08:00 AM
Not an expert on this matter, but been running my own personal experiment of housing 15 discus from Hans and 7 from Kenny's in my 125G tank. All were acquired over a period of three years and all were QT. So far all are very healthy and eat like pigs. I truly enjoy good discus and put forth the effort required to maintain an good environment for my fish.

Banzai883
04-28-2015, 08:59 AM
age old debate. I think if done correctly and carefully it is possible. It all depends on the current conditions of the fish you currently have and the conditions of the fish you are acquiring. I minimum of 6 weeks in QT I think is best before even introducing new fish to your current stock. I've heard a lot of horror stories about mixing fish from different sources and the most common root of the problem that people encounter is either no QT time or getting fish from a questionable source.

Fishquake
04-28-2015, 09:17 AM
The curious thing is that they are in two different tanks in two different rooms.Germans in one and Asian in the other. Using same water, Asian thrive, Germans are being treated with Metro for third time.

Solid
04-28-2015, 09:18 AM
I have 1 old Stendker from Hans and added 6 Tony Tan discus from Discus USA and haven't had any health problems. I think whenever you introduce any new fish you have the possibility of introducing disease.

Fishquake
04-28-2015, 09:27 AM
These beautiful, healthy fish come into my house and all I do is make them sick. I really take this personally.

Keith Perkins
04-28-2015, 06:58 PM
How about if QT is done properly, can just bringing them into the same house, not even the same tank cause issues from airborne bacteria or perhaps other types of cross contamination?

It can, but that's an issue of one group of fish having something the other doesn't. It's not an Asian versus German thing that's for sure, that's my main point. Normally what is done after any quarantine is introduce one sacrificial lamb from the original group to the new group for several weeks to make sure everyone remains healthy.

The curious thing is that they are in two different tanks in two different rooms.Germans in one and Asian in the other. Using same water, Asian thrive, Germans are being treated with Metro for third time.

I guess I would question if metro is really your answer then if you're treating a group for a third time. Have you done the whole health questionnaire thing in this section?

Fishquake
04-29-2015, 07:24 AM
Yes, filled out the questionnaire, did the hero fish routine, he survived, 2 weeks later, stopped eating stringy poops, etc. then so did the other Germans. Moved them into Hospital tank, metro for 7 days, they recovered, put them back in community tank, a few days later same thing happened. now removed them, put all into their own 100 gallon tank, started out fine. Now sick again, treating with metro and epsom salt, temp at 88. I'm getting this routine down pat unfortunately.

Surfnturf
05-07-2015, 12:15 AM
Could it be that you have a fish in the community tank that is a carrier and not showing symptoms spread it to the other fish?