PDA

View Full Version : Low budget

dilldiscus
04-29-2015, 12:42 AM
I want a discus tank but I have a low buget does anyone have any idea were I can get cheap discus

rickztahone
04-29-2015, 01:50 AM
What area do you live in? What do you consider cheap?

dilldiscus
04-29-2015, 02:08 AM
I live in boise idaho cheap for me is no more than 20 dollars for a discus

DiscusRob
04-29-2015, 09:36 AM
Good Luck, maybe you can find a breeder and buy some of his culls, at 20.00 per fish you will get what you pay for

dprais1
04-29-2015, 09:52 AM
there always seem to be people in my area selling fry in the 15-20 range for 1" fish on CL. One, I believe, is a very active homesteader here. Maybe see who is local, no need to get culls or runts.

somefinsfishy.com is a local breeder here that I have had several very good experiences with (and who I get my beefheart mix from). He sells 1" or so fry at $15 each and charges $16 for shipping (I believe). Never had them shipped from him because I live so close, so I can't comment on that. I have zero complaints about the fish I got from him.

DiscusHans is famous for top quality and for $25 a fish (limited selection at that price) you will get 2.5" fish, shipping will cost you more but you won't be regretting the extra expense. Have discus from him also and, again, have zero complaints.

hth

DiscusRob
04-29-2015, 10:03 AM
there always seem to be people in my area selling fry in the 15-20 range for 1" fish on CL. One, I believe, is a very active homesteader here. Maybe see who is local, no need to get culls or runts.

somefinsfishy.com is a local breeder here that I have had several very good experiences with (and who I get my beefheart mix from). He sells 1" or so fry at $15 each and charges $16 for shipping (I believe). Never had them shipped from him because I live so close, so I can't comment on that. I have zero complaints about the fish I got from him.

DiscusHans is famous for top quality and for $25 a fish (limited selection at that price) you will get 2.5" fish, shipping will cost you more but you won't be regretting the extra expense. Have discus from him also and, again, have zero complaints.

hth

not saying buy culls or runts, just that the op states he doesn't want to pay more than 20.00 per fish, add in freight/shipping since most go overnight for the live arrival guar. it will go way passed 20.00 per fish. Sounds like someone wants Salmon with catfish pricing.

I know what Hans has in the 25.00 range, I'm going to be ordering my 8 - 10 from him in the next 4 - 6 weeks, awesome stuff.

MrFang
04-29-2015, 10:05 AM
I started with 50 cent size juveniles which under $20 per juvenile. It's a great and cheapest way to start. But beware discus are addictive lol

DiscusRob
04-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Also, I wonder what kind of experience level the op has and what the op is planning setup wise.

zchauvin
04-29-2015, 10:13 AM
If he only wants to spend $20 each on fish he shouldn't buy juvies as the food alone will kill the budget, OP perhaps you should get something different if on such a low budget?

MrFang
04-29-2015, 10:18 AM
If he only wants to spend $20 each on fish he shouldn't buy juvies as the food alone will kill the budget, OP perhaps you should get something different if on such a low budget?

from my experience... I preferred juvenile because I enjoy feeding them all day long with a lot of wc. Bits and bh mix is pretty cheap, just that you gotta feed a little at time

dprais1
04-29-2015, 10:19 AM

http://www.danziger-discus.com/references_E_3.html

he only feeds tetra color bits, same as discus diet I believe. food can break the budget but it doesn't have to. of course I would recommend more than just tetra bits but I'm just saying it can be done. Most on here will agree that water trumps food every time.

CrazyAngels
04-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Discus keeping is a hard hobby to get into for low budget, as the money does not stop with the fish. Count in water changes, electrical bills and then add the cost of high quality food, you might be in over your head. Have you taken the time to really think this out well. As for the money you are willing to pay it means very small young Discus which will mean lots of good food and water changes to grow them out.

I wish you good luck on whatever you decide to do.

DiscusRob
04-29-2015, 10:43 AM
Discus keeping is a hard hobby to get into for low budget, as the money does not stop with the fish. Count in water changes, electrical bills and then add the cost of high quality food, you might be in over your head. Have you taken the time to really think this out well. As for the money you are willing to pay it means very small young Discus which will mean lots of good food and water changes to grow them out.

I wish you good luck on whatever you decide to do.

I agree completely, also agree with what zchauvin stated as well.

dagray
04-29-2015, 11:37 AM
You will spend way more than $20.00 per fish in time, electricity, water bills, tank supplies (medicines, filters, etc...)

Discus are a commitment much like a dog. The reason a pet rescue usually charges $300.00 or more for a dog is they want to know that you have the resources to be able to handle that emergency trip to the vet or other expenses that just pop up.

The same can be said for many discus breeders as they want to make sure their fish go to homes where the time and work gets done to keep the fish healthy.

IF (and this is a big if) you have the experience, finances, time, and resources you sometimes can find dime to nickel sized fish under $20.00 each.... but by the time they are even half grown you will have probably $50.00 or more per fish into the project, and by the time they are full grown you will have a whole lot more invested in each fish. And let's not discount the you factor (which could be applied to any fish owner) and that is at one time or another you will screw up and that might cause a loss of livestock, but it Will cause a use of resources.

My advice would be to save up and buy a group of six or so of the smaller fish offered by one of the sponsors here and in the meantime set the tank up get it running and see what else you will want or need before adding fish (lighting, filtration, just as a couple examples).

DiscusRob
04-29-2015, 11:44 AM
You will spend way more than $20.00 per fish in time, electricity, water bills, tank supplies (medicines, filters, etc...)

Discus are a commitment much like a dog. The reason a pet rescue usually charges $300.00 or more for a dog is they want to know that you have the resources to be able to handle that emergency trip to the vet or other expenses that just pop up.

The same can be said for many discus breeders as they want to make sure their fish go to homes where the time and work gets done to keep the fish healthy.

IF (and this is a big if) you have the experience, finances, time, and resources you sometimes can find dime to nickel sized fish under $20.00 each.... but by the time they are even half grown you will have probably $50.00 or more per fish into the project, and by the time they are full grown you will have a whole lot more invested in each fish. And let's not discount the you factor (which could be applied to any fish owner) and that is at one time or another you will screw up and that might cause a loss of livestock, but it Will cause a use of resources.

My advice would be to save up and buy a group of six or so of the smaller fish offered by one of the sponsors here and in the meantime set the tank up get it running and see what else you will want or need before adding fish (lighting, filtration, just as a couple examples).

++++1

Mad357
04-29-2015, 02:23 PM
I was on a budget when I bought mine. got from hans , after lookin around 25-30 a fish was pretty cheap. had the tank & pump sittin around, built a sump & cashed in cans for fish(we drank a lot over winter) I agree with dagray, get your tank set up & by time its ready you should have some savings. if you definitely want discus, I would purchase from a reputable source such as sd sponsors & it will save u money in the long run. good luck.
mike d.

ESXiGuy
04-30-2015, 12:24 AM
After only two months in I've already figured out the lowest budget Discus setup that does not sacrifice their well being:

55 Gallon Aquarium (Bare Bottom) = $55 at Petco until May 1st
6 6' Discus = $800 (Fish + Shipping)
Sponge Filter and Airpump = $60
Heater = $35

Total = $950

Can anyone bring 6, $15 dollar Fry all the way up to 6" perfectly for less than $950 total outlay? Food, water, electricity, etc

GivensOU
04-30-2015, 07:46 AM
Well you forgot water test kit
Water conditioner
A aquarium safe hose to do water changes
Plus you will need a stand for that 55
Dinner for the wife when she sees how much you spent.

It's the little stuff that adds up.

DISCUS STU
04-30-2015, 09:35 AM
I've purchased 6 fish on this forum at $15-$20 per juvenile fish but it takes some experience to raise juvies to be healthy adults. Overnight shipping might double that cost.

I paid $20-$25 from lfs's in the 80's but even then it was hit or miss for quality. Mostly they were selling Brown, Red Turq's and "Candy Apples" (juiced) fish. I found two nice $16.99 juvies from another lfs recently but that took a good eye and some experience.

It's a somewhat expensive hobby, and while there are ways to economize in regard to food, maintenance, filters, etc. there's really no way to do this on the cheap. Many people look at beautiful, colorful, fully grown Discus but don't understand the time and commitment, and sometimes even a little luck, that it takes to achieve these results.

In regard to luck, even the best can get problems out of the blue.

Mad357
04-30-2015, 01:09 PM
where there's a will, there's a way, depends on how bad you want something. I was under assumption they already had basics. its definitely not a cheap hobby(obsession)or easy peasy, it all depends what you want to achieve & how far you are willing to go.
mike d.

monching
05-01-2015, 01:36 AM
Same with Mr. Fang I started with 8 juvies a tad smaller than a dollar for $10 each, housed them in a 10 gal. tank which I bought for $80 as a kit ( light,canopy and HOB filter included) last December, now they're still in my 30 Gal. and will transfer to their new tank(75 gal.) this coming Saturday. We're talking just the cost of tank alone here as most have been explained in previous post. Saying all of this to let you know that Discus is not and will never be a low budget type of fish. But......

You can always find a way to do it. God will provide so they say.
Good luck :)

dprais1
05-01-2015, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure any fish is "low budget." but other than the initial cost of the actual fish discus keeping is probably similar to keeping other tropical fish.

you'll spend a dollar or five more a month on electrical because of the higher temps and the heater being on more often.
food, for 5-6 discus 1lb of a beefheart mix, 10.00, will last a month or even two. buy dry food in bulk and you'll spend less.
water changes, going rate in Chicago is about 4.00 per 1000 gallons. so 4.00 will get you 100% waterchanges on a 55 gallon for about 18-20 days.

so monthly cost should be about 20.00, really it should be less. if you can afford 20 a month and the initial cost of the fish, tank and supplies I think you are good to go.

dagray
05-01-2015, 02:53 PM
yes one can do it on $20-30 a month to keep the fish most likely, but one also needs an emergency fund for the aquarium to replace items that quit working (pumps, heaters, lights), buy medicines and buy that extra tank when you unexpectedly have a pair spawn and successfully raise the fry to a state of dime to nickel size.

monching
05-01-2015, 06:13 PM
After only two months in I've already figured out the lowest budget Discus setup that does not sacrifice their well being:

55 Gallon Aquarium (Bare Bottom) = $55 at Petco until May 1st
6 6' Discus = $800 (Fish + Shipping)
Sponge Filter and Airpump = $60
Heater = $35

Total = $950

Can anyone bring 6, $15 dollar Fry all the way up to 6" perfectly for less than $950 total outlay? Food, water, electricity, etc

Let's see how much I spend so far:
Duration; December 6,2014 to present;
8 juvies for $10 each = $80
10 gal. aquarium kit = $80 ( to house them on their 1st month while cycling my 30 gal.)
Tetra Color Granule 300 grams = $20
Blood worm = $5
FDBLKW 100 grams = $42
BH 125 grams =30
Canister filter (2nd hand cascade 1200) = $70 ( when I transferred them in the 30 gal)
55/75 HOB aqueon filter = $50
FDBLKW (2nd order) = $42
75 gal. tank ( coming this Saturday) = $170
heater = $30
dechlorinator = $40
_______
total = $659 going fifth month
not to include WC at 80% daily on my 30 gal. gave it $50 in 5 months
So rough estimate = $700 in my first 5 months

Can no longer go bigger after this as I don't have space to put a bigger one.
So from here on in expenses will be more on food, estimated to be about $20/month

Mad357
05-01-2015, 09:37 PM
See, piece of cake. Then u start watching them & you fall under there hypnotic spell! More fish, bigger this, better that, definitely need one of those. Pretty soon your puttin back the baby formula for plants' n' at. Just make sure you save enough for water & electric or you'll have to start all over. It's a vicious cycle! Ha.

monching
05-01-2015, 10:40 PM
See, piece of cake. Then u start watching them & you fall under there hypnotic spell! More fish, bigger this, better that, definitely need one of those. Pretty soon your puttin back the baby formula for plants' n' at. Just make sure you save enough for water & electric or you'll have to start all over. It's a vicious cycle! Ha.

Quite frankly the only reason why I'm so into them now is because my water and electricity bill are included in my rent. All inclusive so I can do a 100% WC daily and even put all heaters and filters without additional cost for me Whahooooo....:bandana:
The 75 gal. that will be delivered on Saturday will be my 4th aquarium considering I just started 5 months ago. I already have a new set of grow out in my 20 gal. that I will transfer in my 30 gal. as soon as I transfer my 8- 4" in the 75 gal. Bought 2 canister of Krylon blue ocean breeze spray, will paint one side of all of them as background.
Ohh...Happy Days....

alron2
05-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Ramon,

You said "Quite frankly the only reason why I'm so into them now is because my water and electricity bill are included in my rent. All inclusive so I can do a 100% WC daily and even put all heaters and filters without additional cost for me".

There is no free lunch. As a Landlord, let me assure you all costs eventually get passed back to the renter in the form of higher monthly rates.

Ron

monching
05-02-2015, 12:45 AM
Ramon,

You said "Quite frankly the only reason why I'm so into them now is because my water and electricity bill are included in my rent. All inclusive so I can do a 100% WC daily and even put all heaters and filters without additional cost for me".

There is no free lunch. As a Landlord, let me assure you all costs eventually get passed back to the renter in the form of higher monthly rates.

Ron

I fully understand that Ron but what I'm trying to say is that about 5 yrs ago I started with 2 adults (pair) on a 60 gal. tank. I was still in my previous apartment which water and electricity I pay separately. I was paying about $110/month without the aquarium and it went up to $260/month with it. I'm not saying it's because of the aquarium set up alone but definitely one of the reason. Same reason that it's the first to go when I decided to cut back on my expenses. In my new Apartment considering all included, with or without tanks, I will still pay the same monthly rent. Now that I have 4 tanks, same rent. If I decide to have a fish room with 20 tanks, 20, heaters and 20 canister filters, still the same rent. That is what I'm trying to say hence the rekindled interest with these magnificent fish. Rent is on a yearly basis that will go up 1.5%/year.
I hope I was able to justify my earlier post.

Mad357
05-02-2015, 04:32 AM
My bills dropped dramatically when the kids moved out, but there back on the uprise because of my hobby. I'm always shutting lights off behind the mrs( she calls it a dungeon) & try not not to waste water, I'll pay for the xtra cost no problem. Being a former landlord, if the bills went up that much, I would definely raise rent or not include utilities, that's for &@$? sure! That seems like a dramatic increase for one 60 gallon tank. What size heater u using?

monching
05-02-2015, 08:06 AM
My bills dropped dramatically when the kids moved out, but there back on the uprise because of my hobby. I'm always shutting lights off behind the mrs( she calls it a dungeon) & try not not to waste water, I'll pay for the xtra cost no problem. Being a former landlord, if the bills went up that much, I would definely raise rent or not include utilities, that's for &@$? sure! That seems like a dramatic increase for one 60 gallon tank. What size heater u using?

It's not the tank that is the single main reason,although I have 2 100w heater and 2 canister running in it back then. It's more on accumulation of all electronic devices that my kids have. 5 TV 42 inch being the smallest, one for each room and living room, 3 desk top computer all upgraded for gaming purposes, aircon during summer, electric range, 2 fridge, Play Station, air purifier that runs 24/7 not to mention micro wave. That's why when I decided to cut back, it's the tank set up that was first to go. Now living in a high rise apartment with all being inclusive in the rent, I don't worry anymore.:)

zimmjeff
05-02-2015, 02:12 PM
First rule of Discus keeping don't put the expenses in writing! Unless you are single. Jeff

DiscusRob
05-02-2015, 03:06 PM
First rule of Discus keeping don't put the expenses in writing! Unless you are single. Jeff

Could not have said it better myself, it's a brave married man that puts it in writing:):):):)

monching
05-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Well.. I'm the man of the house, I'm not afraid of the Mrs. never.. When she says it's time for me to do the laundry, I'll shout on top of my lungs..."CAN'T YOU SEE I'M STILL IRONING THE CLOTHES, THAT CAN WAIT Dear" hehehehe....:bandana:

rickztahone
05-02-2015, 05:15 PM
I have a spreadsheet of expenses. I've always done this for all my builds. However, I have always kept the spreadsheet at work lol.

My current build was supposed to stay south of 600. I am currently past the double of that original budget. This is not including the discus I still need to buy! Lol. Another 1k or so on fish...

Mgus
05-02-2015, 09:40 PM
I have a spreadsheet of expenses. I've always done this for all my builds. However, I have always kept the spreadsheet at work lol.

My current build was supposed to stay south of 600. I am currently past the double of that original budget. This is not including the discus I still need to buy! Lol. Another 1k or so on fish...

sounds like some nice fish coming. what are you planning on putting in the new tank?

rickztahone
05-02-2015, 09:48 PM
sounds like some nice fish coming. what are you planning on putting in the new tank?

Not quite sure yet, but the approximate amount is simply going off of my past purchases, lol. I may just do juvies, like really small juvies (2.5"?) and do a complete grow out tank which would reduce the cost of the discus purchase. However, I love buying 5"+ discus, lol. So much easier to deal with.

zimmjeff
05-02-2015, 10:28 PM
Buying juvies is just like buying a car. the payments are smaller. Jeff.

Mad357
05-02-2015, 10:58 PM
I just hope when I die, my wife doesn't sell my fish stuff for what she thinks I paid for it;)

rickztahone
05-02-2015, 11:27 PM
I just hope when I die, my wife doesn't sell my fish stuff for what she thinks I paid for it;)

lol. I gave my wife phone numbers to call if I were to pass to sell my camera equipment to. The numbers are admin and mods on a photography forum that I know. They are aware of the arrangement just in case, lol. I should probably have something in place for my fish related stuff as well.