PDA

View Full Version : New Discus Arent Eating After a Week

slip_phreak
04-29-2015, 06:43 AM
Hey Guys and Girls,

I am running a 3ftx2ftx2ft with sump (Ex marine aquarium so about 400L all up) as a community freshwater tank. I've had it up and running for over 2 years and have been adding inhabitants slowly over time. Tank is planted with drift wood pieces scattered about

Anyway i am trying my hand at discus with two German Turquoise going very well and about 2 weeks later added 4 more. One of the germans became dominant and chased any other discus which moved near him (including the other german with whom he previously got along - i thought that maybe i had lucked out and scored a pair but he chases that one too). I did some research and stripped my tank down after removing all of my discus and reaquascaped the lot. After a day of timid behaviour the bully flared up again. I should mention that the other 4 havent eaten yet and have been in the tank for about a week by this point.

I have since removed the bully and placed him in a quarantine tank to see if that gets the other lot to start eating but they still just keep hiding behind one of my larger anubias. Second day of no bully and still no eating.. the other german still eats. All discus are of a similar size about 6cm mouth to end of tail. The new four discus will sit still in the water column and clamp a fin.

My paramaters are pH 7.0 Ammo,Nitrite and Nitrate is 0 temp is around the 28-30C mark

Fellow housemates include:
20 odd neons
12ish rummy nose
1 clown loach
1 albino peppermint
3 harlequin rasbora
1 betta (passive)
2 Odessa Barbs
3 Rosy Barbs
2 Siamese algae eaters
4 smallish salmon red rainbows
1 basmani rainbow
1 Red Tailed black Shark (super passive)
2 German Turqs (one in the naughty corner the other cruising around and eating like a pig)
3 pidgeon blood cross white discus
1 melon red discus

Any suggestions??!?

Solid
04-29-2015, 09:34 AM
One week of not eating after being introduced is not terrible, but it could be a sign something is wrong. Did you quarantine the discus? I will say that seems like a lot of fish for a 3' tank. It could be that all those active fish like the loach, barbs and/or rainbows are stressing out the discus. Barbs are also known for fin nipping, which could be a problem with the slow moving discus.

I really think you need to spend some time and read all the beginner section stickies.

zchauvin
04-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Well you asked for suggestions so.... Go back to a community tank and get rid of discus or, get rid of all fish but discus. What you have now will lead to only one thing - problems.