PDA

View Full Version : Get out there!

SMB2
05-04-2015, 11:32 AM
We all are busy; Family, work, water changes...
But if you want to get better taking pictures, mastering whatever camera you have (even cell phone options), there is just no substitute for actually taking pictures. While I love to read about all things photographic, and I learn a lot from looking at lots of images (one of the great benefits of this gallery), I only get better when I have the camera in my hand...a lot.
One way to force yourself to take more pictures is to join a group. I know, there is no time. But this forces you to take the time. It can be a structured group like a camera club, which will have regular outings or more informal, like a meet-up group. I recently joined a local nature photography meet up group and we had a shoot yesterday. The site was a Delaware wildlife area about a two hour drive from my house. That meant getting up at 4am, something I might have passed on if not for the meeting group. I knew none of the photographers but they were all great to get to know and talented. We pretty much shot on our own but would pause and exchange thoughts on the morning. Abilities were across the board so one should not be intimidated by the 600mm lenses! It was really a pleasant day so I thought I would pass along the idea as a way to get out with the camera.

(The same organization has a group shooting in DC on Friday for a WWII vintage plane fly over. I know nothing about airplanes or photographing them. But it sounds cool so I signed up!)

Here are some shots from yesterday. Greater Yellowleg Sandpiper shot just after sunrise. (I love how water serves to reflect light up under wading birds.) Eastern Kingbird a little later. Tree Swallow (they don't sit much so any perch will do, even a sign post!) around 9am and a Blue Grossbeak at 11am. You can see how the changing light affects the images to the point where the Grossbeak, an amazing bird, is really not an acceptable image because of the harsh contrasty light.

nc0gnet0
05-04-2015, 11:49 AM
awesome pics, some of the nicest I have seen so far! A few more and you can do a calendar!

rickztahone
05-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Beautiful pics Stan. I don't have an exif reader here at work. What were you using for these?

SMB2
05-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Ricardo,
All were shot with a Nikon D4s. The Sandpiper was shot on a tripod sitting in the grass while it was working the shallows. The other three were shot from the car! Towel resting on the window, using the car as a blind, moving closer and closer. The birds are quite used to cars in this reserve that has a long 12 mile loop. When you get out, the smaller birds are off. The waders will settle back in if you are cautious.
They were shot with a 200-400mm lens plus 1.4 TC. Shutter speeds greater than 1000. F stops were between 5.6 and 8. ISO 400.

Mud,
Thanks for your comment.

rickztahone
05-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Very nice. I use to love shooting with my 70-400 with a 1.4TC

brewmaster15
05-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Stan,
Beautiful work as usual! and Great advice as well to get out there! Another suggestion especially if those reading here find these pics beautiful is to get involved in bird clubs...great way to learn more about birds which is important when trying to photograph them.. BIrd clubs often also have their fair share of photographers as well.

Stan were you shooting autofocus or manual here? Also can you give the members here an idea as to how many pictures you took to get the above shots?

thanks again for sharing!

al

SMB2
05-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Funny you should mention the bird clubs. Sat morning I went birding with a group from the National Zoo where I volunteer. The leader is an amazing guy who finds the birds first by their call. He is encyclopedic in terms of his knowledge of the various species. I know nothing about birds except what I learn by osmosis, and what I look up after I take a shot.
I didn't take a camera Sat. just binoculars. It was at a park not 15 minutes from my house that I didn't even know existed. Lots of stuff to shoot there. We saw Ospreys, Eagles, 4 species of snakes, 5 species of turtles just for starters.

I use auto focus with my camera. Nikon calls it Group, continuous, and shot bursts of 7-9 frames per second if the bird is in flight. The last three birds had maybe 10 shots each as they flew off once I got to close.
I spent the most time with the Sandpiper as it was working an area along the bank. 50 shots in total trying to get various poses and especially working for an uncluttered background.

Kingdom Come Discus
05-04-2015, 04:23 PM
I really enjoyed looking at these. Great work. I would love to have a few on my wall.

Keep up the great work!!!!

brewmaster15
05-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Funny you should mention the bird clubs. Sat morning I went birding with a group from the National Zoo where I volunteer. The leader is an amazing guy who finds the birds first by their call. He is encyclopedic in terms of his knowledge of the various species. I know nothing about birds except what I learn by osmosis, and what I look up after I take a shot.
I didn't take a camera Sat. just binoculars. It was at a park not 15 minutes from my house that I didn't even know existed. Lots of stuff to shoot there. We saw Ospreys, Eagles, 4 species of snakes, 5 species of turtles just for starters.

I use auto focus with my camera. Nikon calls it Group, continuous, and shot bursts of 7-9 frames per second if the bird is in flight. The last three birds had maybe 10 shots each as they flew off once I got to close.
I spent the most time with the Sandpiper as it was working an area along the bank. 50 shots in total trying to get various poses and especially working for an uncluttered background.

Have to say it again... really nice shots...You have the lighting just right. I feel like I was a birdwatching there and looking at this beautiful creature my own eyes.

love it,
al

SMB2
05-04-2015, 11:09 PM
Thanks Al and Kraig.

For those who are just starting to work with a Digital SLR, the autofocus terminology can be confusing.
With Nikon it can at first be easy to confuse continuous focus with continuous shooting. The former refers to the camera setting that keeps the autofocus tracking as long as you have the shutter release pressed half way. Continuous shooting refers to the frame rate setting: single shot, continuous low (3-5 frames per second) and continuous high (faster depending on the camera).
Why shoot your camera like a machine gun? If you are trying to catch action it may be the only way to get some images in tack sharp focus, even with auto focus. You will always get images that are out of focus, but that is the beauty of digital. Just delete...

BTW, I am a big fan of BACK BUTTON FOCUSING. Most digital SLR cameras today have a AF-ON button on the back right hand side of the camera. In the menu this button can be designated as the focus button, independent of the shutter release button. So to activate focus (and keep it going) one presses the AF-ON button with your thumb. You can then hold it for action shots. The index finger is to take the picture and you don't have to worry about half way pressing the shutter release. Try it, it takes a little getting used to but it makes focusing easier.