PDA

View Full Version : Which filter is best?

navarro1950
05-08-2015, 03:03 AM
I have a fluval 305, 306, and a 406 canister and a large hikari bacto surge foam filter. I would really love to know your opinions no which of these filters would be best to use on 29 gal quarantine tank? Also should I start the cycle going in my quarantine tank, and if so can I start that cycle with ammonia that I purchased from the true value hardware store?

MendoMan
05-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Yes. Ace brand ammonia is the way to go. About 4 PPM.

pitdogg2
05-08-2015, 09:30 AM
if you have aquarium why not use some of the bacteria from the established tank?

100fuegos
05-08-2015, 04:48 PM
What would be the purpose of quarantine then if you are exposing the "quarantined" fish to whatever pathogens live in your other tanks.

if you have aquarium why not use some of the bacteria from the established tank?

warblad79
05-08-2015, 07:17 PM
I believe you're not suppose to install canister filter on Quarantine tank. you're housing your pathogen inside your canister and I don't know how did you get that idea. Normally you use sponge filter and after the quarantine period your suppose to discard them

navarro1950
05-09-2015, 01:43 AM
MendoMan - That is the ammonia I have from Ace, I just got the hardware stores mixed up. And pitdogg2 - The sponge filter I have is sitting in the return compartment of my refugium so the bacteria could grow on it. 100fuegos that is the question would it be safe to use it in my quarantine tank? warblad79 - Why can't you use a canister filter on a quarantine tank. All I use those filters for is to circulater the water I use for my water changes. I cleaned them out with bleach long time ago and they haven't been use on an aquarium since then.