PDA

View Full Version : MTS in discus tanks?

discusmatt20
05-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Any one use Malaysian trumpet snails in there discus tank? I have white sand in my discus tank that i cant seem to keep clean to where i like. Anyone use MTS in there tank and keep their sand clean?

discusmatt20
05-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Up

sdrexler078
05-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Do you vacuum the sand?

discusmatt20
05-10-2015, 04:38 PM
Do you vacuum the sand?

Yes, but theres some black/brownish stuff that wont come up with the vacuum unless i suck the sand up with it.

Does anyone have MTS in their discus tank??

discusmatt20
05-10-2015, 06:19 PM
up

nc0gnet0
05-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Snails can be carriers of some parasites (intermediate host), generally not thought of as a good companion unless you really trust the source. Avoid LFS snails at all costs.......

discusmatt20
05-10-2015, 08:58 PM
Snails can be carriers of some parasites (intermediate host), generally not thought of as a good companion unless you really trust the source. Avoid LFS snails at all costs.......

Thanks i only plan on MTS. I just want to know if anyone uses MTS in their discus tank???

bamzam
05-10-2015, 09:18 PM
sorry I do not have any experience with MTS. But I also use sand substrate and get those same spots. What are they? Algae?

Moon
05-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Thanks i only plan on MTS. I just want to know if anyone uses MTS in their discus tank???

MTS will keep the substrate moving and aerated and clean to some extent. I've had them in my non discus tanks. They do become a neusance after awhile and almost impossible to get rid of.

nc0gnet0
05-10-2015, 10:19 PM

http://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/stickmen_bangingyourhead_100-100.gif?w=545

dprais1
05-11-2015, 01:06 AM
I have them in an angelfish tank with fine white sand.
I would not recommend them.
they will invade your filters.
they only clean your sand to a certain extent.
they leave unsightly 'tracks' in your sand
when there are many they will come out during the day and be ugly

I have a couple albino cories.
they sort of blend in to the white sand.
they do a great job of cleaning up bits of uneaten food.
the stir up any poop into the water column where a decent filter can clean it out of the water column
best of all, imo, they constantly sift the sand and keep it nice and level, basically getting rid all the annoying tracks made by the snails.

I hate the snails.
Want them to get rid of poop? they won't.

Cories I like. Want them to get rid of poop? they won't. but they will kick it up so a filter can get it out of site.

Kyla
05-11-2015, 01:57 AM

the stir up any poop into the water column where a decent filter can clean it out of the water column
best of all, imo, they constantly sift the sand and keep it nice and level, basically getting rid all the annoying tracks made by the snails.

I hate the snails.

Cories I like. Want them to get rid of poop? they won't. but they will kick it up so a filter can get it out of site.

i have hundreds of MTS and agree with this post. i love MTS and i even have them in my BB tanks, but they multiply fast and i am often pulling/scraping babies from the filter. to keep their population down i cull the largest ones.

i also have them in a tank with pool filter sand. they leave tracks as described, and i highly doubt they will clean the dark areas u r asking about.

if you are particular about ur sand, i dont think u will enjoy seeing them in it, or on ur tank walls.

i have grown attached to my colony but i keep them more as pets than as a clean up crew.

Second Hand Pat
05-11-2015, 08:16 AM
I had them in the past and they are like rabbits and get everywhere. Soon they are an eyesore and clog your filters. Snail maintenance becomes way more timely then sand maintenance. DON"T DID IT.
Pat

pitdogg2
05-11-2015, 10:58 AM
MTS will keep the substrate moving and aerated and clean to some extent. I've had them in my non discus tanks. They do become a nuisance after awhile and almost impossible to get rid of.

unless you plan on keeping Puffers this ^^^^^^^^^^^

jmf3460
05-11-2015, 11:08 AM
OP I have the same problem as you with my sand. Sometimes I have to suck sand up in order to get the black up. and I usually suck up sand with every vacuum anyway just bc its impossible to hover at just the right height all the time. I just keep a bag of sand on hand and every 4 months or so I add sand back to the tank in the spots i've sucked it up. I just use a cup and pour the rinsed sand onto the empty spots from about 1" above the substrate as to not disperse sand particles all over the tank. my discus swim through the sand that gets stirred up and don't seem to mind at all and my corydoras kind of seem to enjoy playing in the new sand as it pours in, some even swim over to get covered up with it then scurry their way out. corydoras are crazy.

discusmatt20
05-11-2015, 05:00 PM

I hate the snails.

Oh ok thanks. I have Cories in my discus tank currently but all they do is sit under my drift wood all day and dont do anything. Very lazy. Any way i can fix this?

discusmatt20
05-11-2015, 09:39 PM
I have 3 Cories in my 75 discus tank, if i increase the number of cories would that make them for active and want to clean the sand? Ive noticed that if you get a larger # of them, they will school. I dont want to get rid of my white sand lol

Dave-H
01-03-2016, 06:10 PM
I've had MTS in 3 tanks for years, and never had any trouble or seen a single one in the filter. I like seeing them cleaning up my planted tanks at night :)