PDA

View Full Version : Tnobles First 320L Discus Build

tnoble
05-15-2015, 08:50 AM
After keeping community planted tanks for many years on and off, had an oscar in 250L for 10 years and currently have two aquascapes 40L shrimp and a 60L both with pressurised co2 high light ect... I have finally got hold of a nice big 900x450x800(high) 320L tank for my first discus setup it is being setup and filled in the next week or two as I have been getting together all the equipment for it.

Has two cannisters one 305 fluval, one ehiem 2217, will have peat moss as on layer in both any other media you would reccomend they both currently have ceremic, volcanic stone and fliter pads. I also got a powerhead venturi today which I will use to airate the water however I am not sure if i need this now and am worried that I will have to much current and flow in the system?

Heating have a shogun 400w and an eheim 150 using two in case one fails and also to take the load off one (is this a good idea/should i just use the shogun?)

Lighting wise have a 4 bar t5 39w globes (a blasst is currenlty broken so only 2 bars work and considering only using 2 due to the plants im considering are low light and would the discus prefer less lighting?) 2 large pieces of driftwood, plants will be java fern, annubius, amazon swords, vallisneria, piggmy chain swords and some crypts. substrate is red fluorite and white sand (still considering which sand saw one that helps cycle the tank/keep water around 7?)

Have a 200L drum to age my water and another 400w heater for it, did not plan on airating the drum now considering using the powerhead venturi in this drum? It previously had malaossoe syrup in it so obviously food grade and dont' think the sugars from that should affect the water. Initially I planned to do once a week 60% changes but after more reading thinking would be better to do twice a week 30 or 40%?

Plan on running a temp of 28 or 29? Just bought a ph probe so can let you know more exact numbers on that and ammoina nitrites ect... in the next couple of weeks.

I plan on having 8 discus from a local breeder and maybe 20 or so tetras most likely rummy nose or glowlight that I will have in the tank for a few weeks before I introduce the discus while I stabilize the tank. Feeding wise still figuring out but probably twice a day before and after work could probably do another before bed mix of flake, bloodworm, beef heart?

Will see how things progress this year I don't plan on breeding and just want a really nice aquascaped discus display tank where everything is happy and healthy.

I have spent countless hours reading forums and books, talking with shops, breeders and although get some conflicting "advice" generally quite similar, clean water water changes with aged water, don't worry to much about ph/hardness, just keep things consistent. I think my biggest challange will be I love my aquascaped tanks and really don't want to go bb however it will be heavily planted so hopefully that will help the tank/fish more then hinder. Any suggestions hints/tips much apprecaited I am here to learn and eventually help, thanks

Tnoble

DiscusRob
05-15-2015, 10:26 AM
heavily planted will be a pain on water changes as it will make it very, very difficult to get all the waste off the bottom, are you planning to get adults or are you planning on getting juvies and growing them out?

tnoble
05-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Probably juvies although I'd prefer adult see how much I can get them for. I probably won't have ground covers or if I do I'll wait a couple of months for the plants to take hold

Second Hand Pat
05-15-2015, 05:01 PM
Hi Tom, if you decide on juvies do yourself a favor and start with bare bottom. I know you are experienced with planted tanks but not discus. Juvies require lots of clean water, a clean tank and a fair amount of food. I think with your current plan you will find raising juvies well to be quite challenging.

If you decide to do adults or sub-adults you have a better chance of being successful with your current plan.

Pat

tnoble
05-15-2015, 11:41 PM
Thanks guys I've been thinking and came on here to get the best advice so going to go bare bottom tank. Is it still ok to have drift wood and a couple of annubius/ferns? How long should I leave it as a bare bottom 6 months/year? I was considering doing one water change 50% per week or two 30% due to being quite a large tank for 8 juvies, would you recommend more often water changes? Do you vacuum the bottom every day?

pogyken
05-16-2015, 12:27 PM
I vacuum the bottom about 15 minutes after each feeding to get up poo and any un eaten food. I am still very new to raising discus but so far that seems to be doing well for their growth and health.

tnoble
05-17-2015, 12:10 AM
I can't do things the easy way out or by halves and don't want to risk having unhealthy discus, I just cannot commit the time and money that is needed to truly look after disucs how they need so I am unforunately not going to get the discus as planned and by the sound of things will have to wait till im retired or have a stay at home wife...

Reesj
05-17-2015, 03:12 PM
I can't do things the easy way out or by halves and don't want to risk having unhealthy discus, I just cannot commit the time and money that is needed to truly look after disucs how they need so I am unforunately not going to get the discus as planned and by the sound of things will have to wait till im retired or have a stay at home wife...

If you want my advice you can easily keep the discus as you said and grow them healthy as well. Just get about 3.5 inch discus and feed them food that does not pollute water. If you can do 2x water changes for a week in a planted tank that should be enough. Get a some decent filtration and if possible try to remove the fish waste from sandy bottom after feeds per day.
Please do not get deterred because people here regurgitate the same past down wisdom from decades old stuff. It is definitely not hard to raise discus in a planted tank with 2x water changes per week to be healthy grown adults.

DiscusRob
05-17-2015, 04:15 PM
Reesj, I've followed your threads, and read your comments, while this is an open board were all are allowed there ideas and thoughts, I "personally"(not the forums) feel that you are not experienced enough to be offering the advice you keep giving, per your own threads, you have been keeping Discus less than 6 months, versus others here that have been doing it for many, many years, and have raised show Discus. Your advice may or may not work for your current set-up, good luck. However, there are way more knowledgeable people here that are far may capable of passing on advice. Please refrain from your current trend till you have the experience to do so. JMHO

Reesj
05-18-2015, 12:33 AM
Reesj, I've followed your threads, and read your comments, while this is an open board were all are allowed there ideas and thoughts, I "personally"(not the forums) feel that you are not experienced enough to be offering the advice you keep giving, per your own threads, you have been keeping Discus less than 6 months, versus others here that have been doing it for many, many years, and have raised show Discus. Your advice may or may not work for your current set-up, good luck. However, there are way more knowledgeable people here that are far may capable of passing on advice. Please refrain from your current trend till you have the experience to do so. JMHO

So you want people to not raise discus so they do not adhere to the stuff people in this forum post like the OP ? All I can say to the OP is please check soem reputable breeders like Stendker what they advice and other breeders also on how they raise discus. Also so far my original low quality fish I bought at 2-5 inches have grown to be 4-4.5 inches in less than 4 months and are extremely healthy.
http://diskuszucht-stendker.de/plugins_en/pdfs/7._Haeufig_gestellte_Fragen_und_Antworten_ueber_Ha ltung_und_Pflege_von_Diskusfischen_en.pdf
http://www.macsdiscus.com/blog/discus-fish-grow-faster-in-a-smaller-aquarium/

There are many ways you can treat the common cold. If you need to you can administer to the hospital take all necessary tests monitor vitals and all the jazz as well. OFc you might not have to but is is better to be safe for soem I guess.

Second Hand Pat
05-18-2015, 07:35 AM
Actually we recommend the best, most proven way for members to raise discus. We want to set people up for success and raising juvie discus in a bare bottom tank with lots of water changes and multiple feedings a day is the best path to be successful. If you review the emergency room (disease) section of the forum you will most of the threads involve folks with planted tanks.

We also recommend members start with quality properly raised, healthy discus. This is why we recommend our members buy their discus from our sponsors. Our sponsors have been personally vetted by Al to ensure the quality of the discus offered is high and the fish are healthy.

The best way to determine if a member is offering good advice is to review their past posts and pictures of their fish. Compare their fish to pictures of our sponsors. Are the eyes small, fins erect and the fish well filled out? A healthy discus will almost glow. Of is the fish large eyed, thin or fins at half mast. We do have threads in the beginner section showing what not to buy.

One last point; while we offer the best advise we can. No member is forced to follow any of it. They are free to pick and choose the advice they follow or determine their own route to hopeful success.
Pat

Reesj
05-18-2015, 09:34 AM
Well as Pat talked about fish photos; here are some that has been raised on a planted tank with 2x water changes per week. They were bought at about 2 inches very cheap with very poor quality. Now they are all 4-4.5 inches and very healthy eating like pigs with no diseases so far. This is in under 4 months of growth! Anyway I will make a post with detail in future once I can show them off as sub adults.

DiscusRob
05-18-2015, 10:06 AM
The op decided he couldn't afford the time or the money to properly care for and raise healthy discuss, not from advice given here. He also wanted a heavily planted tank, yours is not by any means, based on your pictures above, a heavily planted tank.

Reesj
05-18-2015, 11:07 AM
The op decided he couldn't afford the time or the money to properly care for and raise healthy discuss, not from advice given here. He also wanted a heavily planted tank, yours is not by any means, based on your pictures above, a heavily planted tank.

It was quite decently planted before. I removed some plants and a rock on one side to make room for them as they growing up a lot. Its 9 discus now in a 50 gallon tank(with a in tank filter on side) as I received 2 sick small fish few months back.

My picture of the tank at start :)

Reesj
05-18-2015, 11:25 AM
BTW Pat why delete my comment about Stendker ? Sorry if its agist soem rule.
I only said they are one of the major breeders of discus given in the link. Also I have seen many posts here plastered with a lot more information about them countless times!

DiscusRob
05-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Reesj, that is not a heavily planted tank, please at least google the term" heavily planted tank" and look at the images provided. Just saying, your not even close.

And as far as Stendker goes, learn how to say something if you have a point to make. Careful how you word things and they might stay posted.

brewmaster15
05-19-2015, 09:05 AM
I think its time to tone it down Guys...if you wish to carry it on, do so by Pm .

Thank you, Al

Kyla
05-25-2015, 08:56 AM
i know u are discouraged, and discus do take a lot of time and effort to care for, but if u ever do decide you want to give them a try in the future i wanted to add to this thread that it IS possible to grow lots of plants in BB tank in cute little pots. it is much easier to keep the bottom clean but you still get the benefit (and the asthetic beauty) of the plants!

i just set up my new 180g BB discus tank with tons of potted plants and it is green and lush! if u went BB with potted plants at first, once the discus are grown and you feel confident, you can easily add sand and plant your greenery in the substrate. just an idea :)

i used glass pots cuz i liked the look of them, but there is also a lady on on this forum who makes lovely pots specifically for planting BB tanks and she ships in the US.

i tried to post a pic of my tank but i havent figured out how to post pics yet...

Kyla
05-25-2015, 09:08 AM
ok someone suggested to use photo bucket so i made a quick account! here's the pics of my new 180g tank. im not quite done setting it up, but the discus are in, and you can see the idea of the potted plants :)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/kylasfish/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6n4f1ivv.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/kylasfish/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6n4f1ivv.jpg.html)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/kylasfish/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbjz3hszu.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/kylasfish/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbjz3hszu.jpg.html)