PDA

View Full Version : Conflicted about maintaining stunted/runted Discus?

ESXiGuy
05-19-2015, 05:32 PM
I'm pretty sure I have a few Discus that are stunted/runted. They appear to be healthy and happy but had a few logistical and practical questions on their upkeep:

1 - Do stunted/runted Discus have less of a lifespan than one that is not? I would assume yes but don't know how big the difference would be.
2 - Do they eat the same amount of food as larger Discus that have been grown out properly?
3 - What would a 3 inch runted Discus bioload contribution be versus one that was grown out at 6 inches?
4 - Would you be able to tell when a runted Discus has gotten as big as it's going to get?

There is only so much room and bioload a tank can sustain so trying to determine how to best handle runted Discus that have no chance of being full or near full size specimens. Since FDBW and Frozen BW are not exactly cheap, it might not make sense to keep feeding them grow out food when they wont be able to take advantage of them.

In theory, could I take 6, 2 inch Discus put them in a 29 gallon bare bottom tank and not compromise their well being if they were not going to get any larger anyways?

Thanks in advance for the help.

John_Nicholson
05-19-2015, 07:44 PM
In my opinion there are too many good discus in the world to keep bad ones.....

-john

Rudustin
05-19-2015, 09:18 PM

-john I cannot agree more with John. Rufus

ESXiGuy
05-19-2015, 11:54 PM
Slap of reality but there is truth in this.

Thanks for the candid feedback.

alron2
05-20-2015, 05:16 PM
Yep, John is correct. It is just like drinking hot beer when you have ice cold beer in the cooler.
Ron

cellingson
05-20-2015, 09:43 PM
Yep, John is correct. It is just like drinking hot beer when you have ice cold beer in the cooler.
Ron

Unless hot beer brings you joy. Fish and their aquariums are for joy. Do what brings you joy.

dragon1974
05-21-2015, 09:15 AM
LOL, Man if you want to keep them, keep them.....But in my experience the runts/stunts usually cost the same to feed and care for so why not just keep the good ones. I would/had kept stunts knowingly and you know what, when I changed my tank stock I see a total difference in growth and health. Much better experience I'm having now vs. when I would just get/breed and keep the runts/stunts. I'm not telling you want to do, but it gets easier to dispose of them over time.

DISCUS STU
05-21-2015, 11:29 AM
Maybe you can trade them off to a lfs store for something you may want if they are willing. I know it's been hard for me to euthanize though I've done it.

pitdogg2
05-21-2015, 02:26 PM

-john

Also agree but one always needs a test/stunt Discus for new fish in quarantine :) can't hurt to have one around that you wouldn't mind losing in the process.

XAnhLe
05-21-2015, 02:36 PM
I keep one runt because...

1. there will always be a fish that get picked on. You kill one, another one will take its place

2. Use them as a hero fish

Rudustin
05-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Maybe you can trade them off to a lfs store for something you may want if they are willing. I know it's been hard for me to euthanize though I've done it.
I don't agree with this. Your passing on poor quality discus to some unsuspecting person. Only the lfs will benefit. They will sell anything to anyone and reap the profits. Rufus

pitdogg2
05-21-2015, 06:00 PM

I also can't agree we are better than this. I've seen the same thing with "Flowerhorns" that breeders dumped their badly shaped or badly colored culls to the wholesalers who then marketed them as "Brilliant Trimaculatus". Now some unexpected owner thinks he has a great looking true tri-mac....but in reality does not.

DISCUS STU
05-22-2015, 06:57 PM
I also can't agree we are better than this. I've seen the same thing with "Flowerhorns" that breeders dumped their badly shaped or badly colored culls to the wholesalers who then marketed them as "Brilliant Trimaculatus". Now some unexpected owner thinks he has a great looking true tri-mac....but in reality does not.

I only offered this as an alternative to euthanizing these fish. Would you suggest killing these fish instead? This is a viable alternative for some, but it isn't something everyone is up for.

The assumption is that the store is reputable and will not try to sell these fish as something they aren't.

Mrs. J
05-22-2015, 08:03 PM
We have promised out runts to our daughter, who is a very conscientious pet owner and her husband who is a marine/fish enthusiast. He is currently studying marine biology. They cannot afford to purchase fish larger than juveniles, but will take great care of our smaller babies. Yes, they can afford the food and have a set up we have provided for them. While this may not work for everyone, this seems to me to be a good way to bring them into the hobby and also provide for fish that are truly beautiful, just a little small. We will be adding to our larger tank soon and think this fills the need for us all. I too am not a fan of euthanizing unless they are sick or suffering which these are not. Having worked as a vet tech and with rescue groups, I feel that this the best alternative for the. Julia

DISCUS STU
05-22-2015, 08:09 PM
We have promised out runts to our daughter, who is a very conscientious pet owner and her husband who is a marine/fish enthusiast. He is currently studying marine biology. They cannot afford to purchase fish larger than juveniles, but will take great care of our smaller babies. Yes, they can afford the food and have a set up we have provided for them. While this may not work for everyone, this seems to me to be a good way to bring them into the hobby and also provide for fish that are truly beautiful, just a little small. We will be adding to our larger tank soon and think this fills the need for us all. I too am not a fan of euthanizing unless they are sick or suffering which these are not. Having worked as a vet tech and with rescue groups, I feel that this the best alternative for the. Julia

All's well that ends well!

Kyla
05-24-2015, 01:15 AM
i love my little runt san merah. he almost died from Chilodonella in QT after shipment as a tiny baby, and he will never grow to his full potential... but he is an adorable little punk, strong, full of vigor and with attitude like u wouldnt believe. im proud he hung on to life and he's MY runt and i wouldnt trade him for the world <3

Mrs. J
05-24-2015, 06:14 PM
You are so right. My little pigeon blood came quite a bit smaller than the rest, but makes up for it in attitude. Now is catching up a little but will always be a runt. Seems to me that your little guy has more than lived up to his potential. Potential after all is not just measured in size. Having raised a special needs daughter who has matured into someone truly beautiful....everyone that meets her loves her even though she is small and has some orthopedic issues. But boy does she have heart, and thank goodness a husband who adores her, and is in a management program because she is so smart. These little ones are truly sometimes an unexpected gift.....Julia

aquadon2222
05-31-2015, 04:25 AM
i love my little runt san merah. he almost died from Chilodonella in QT after shipment as a tiny baby, and he will never grow to his full potential... but he is an adorable little punk, strong, full of vigor and with attitude like u wouldnt believe. im proud he hung on to life and he's MY runt and i wouldnt trade him for the world <3

I can relate to this! I've got a couple of stunted runts that oddly enough eat like pigs, take no stuff from the bigger fish and are the first guys to say hi when I walk up to the tank. They diminish the look of my tank and I know they're just fish but I'd have a hard time putting them in the freezer!

Kyla
05-31-2015, 09:29 PM
I can relate to this! I've got a couple of stunted runts that oddly enough eat like pigs, take no stuff from the bigger fish and are the first guys to say hi when I walk up to the tank. They diminish the look of my tank and I know they're just fish but I'd have a hard time putting them in the freezer!

a fish would have to be beyond help for me to euthanize it. its a hard call, but i've done it many times.

i'd suggest if anyone doesnt want to raise runt discus, post them on kijiji or craigslist and be honest about their health and condition. i would seriously consider adopting runts into my group, and i know there are many others who feel the same way, too. i would certainly quarantine them before bringing them into my main tank, but if after quarantine i feel the fish is satisfactory i would give it a good forever home.

the majority of my fish are adopted anyway, many out of horrible conditions and in less than ideal health. this betta's fins were all rotting off when i adopted him, and he is doing fantastic now :)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/kylasfish/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspoydzsff.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/kylasfish/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspoydzsff.jpg.html)