PDA

View Full Version : Discus racing back and forth

shadeslayer
05-23-2015, 10:11 AM
Hello all,

I hope you're well. I was wondering if it is normal for a discus to race back and forth in the tank? It
started on Thursday I saw him racing near the top of the aquarium and sometimes doing a little jump.

I am currently treating the tank for gill flukes with Prazipro. the water parameters are all normal
no ammonia, 85 degrees fahrenheit, pH 6.0-6.5.

Thank you

shadeslayer
05-24-2015, 11:44 AM
update:
it has started to twirl a few times and then run back to his hiding spot

I don't know what the problem is, if anybody has any insight, id be grateful

i'm doing 30% water changes daily so as to not freak it out with greater than 50%

Rudustin
05-24-2015, 11:53 AM
I had this problem as well. I isolated the discus in a small tank with no light on and no food for a couple of days. It sounds like the whirling disease. This particular fish did calm down and I treated with furan 2 for about four days. I've never had a problem with this discus since. Just my experience. Rufus

shadeslayer
05-24-2015, 11:09 PM
thank you, i hope the stores are open tomorrow (memorial day) and I will get furan 2.

I hope my discus is ok, it is curving its body more and more as the night progresses, can't sleep because i'm so worried.

scruffy89801
05-24-2015, 11:35 PM
I feel sorry for you. I hope you are able to save your baby.

shadeslayer
05-25-2015, 12:01 PM
unfortunately all the stores are closed today
my discus just died

i only blame myself for not buying furan 2 when i went to the store last week. I wish I had known

Rudustin
05-25-2015, 12:10 PM
my discus just died

i only blame myself for not buying furan 2 when i went to the store last week. I wish I had known First of all I am sorry for your loss. Always difficult. Second, there is no guarantee that the Furan would have worked one way or another so no regrets. These things happen to the best of us and sometimes this issue is genetic and there is no telling for sure. Water changes are always the best medicine when fish start to behave in an odd way. From here on in just watch your fish carefully and maintain a rigorous water change routine to insure that this won't happen to your other fish. Naturally we all blame ourselves for these losses but sometimes it an unfortunate situation that of which we have no control. I've killed lots of fish over the years and of course I do blame myself but in some instances it couldn't be helped. Once again I am sorry to hear about your loss of this discus. Take care. Rufus

FMA4ME
05-25-2015, 12:28 PM
my discus just died

i only blame myself for not buying furan 2 when i went to the store last week. I wish I had known

Sorry for your loss. I've never had to keep a dedicated stocked medicine cabinet for fish meds until I started keeping Discus, but I think its mandatory.

shadeslayer
05-25-2015, 04:36 PM
you're right, it may not have worked but the chance was still there. I guess I'm beating myself up for not taking advantage of the chance.
It was an apricot discus, she was so beautiful.

anyway, what does a dedicated stocked medicine cabinet entail?

FMA4ME
05-25-2015, 05:35 PM
Well fortunately I have only used a couple of the meds I have. Lol I actually I read and took notes from the emergency room forum. I scrambled to find the meds I used so I figured next time I'll be ready ;)

Rudustin
05-25-2015, 07:36 PM
you're right, it may not have worked but the chance was still there. I guess I'm beating myself up for not taking advantage of the chance.
It was an apricot discus, she was so beautiful.

anyway, what does a dedicated stocked medicine cabinet entail? I'm not an expert in the meds needed and there are many more members on this forum that could be far more informative about the subject. So, I will leave it to them to suggest what to have on hand. I think the better idea is to read from the incredible library of information that is on SD about meds, their use for certain situations and dosages but more importantly good husbandry usually is the key to avoiding most illnesses that Discus may get. Hopefully someone else with far more experience will answer your question. Al, the owner of this forum, Brewmaster is the person you might want to get in contact with for such information. Best wishes. Rufus

DISCUS STU
05-26-2015, 11:01 AM
I call it "Mad Discus Disease" and I wish I knew what it is. I've lost a number of fish to it during the years, mostly wilds for reasons unknown. I've tried to treat it in a number of different with no real result other than dead fish.

shadeslayer
05-26-2015, 06:25 PM
i am definitely devoting this afternoon to reading the SD library. thank you!

my Furan 2 came today, should i treat the tank? all the other discus seem healthy.
They are all babies now (<3.5 inches) so I am being very vigilant to make sure they are ok

Rudustin
05-26-2015, 06:30 PM
i am definitely devoting this afternoon to reading the SD library. thank you!

my Furan 2 came today, should i treat the tank? all the other discus seem healthy.
They are all babies now (<3.5 inches) so I am being very vigilant to make sure they are ok Do not medicate!!! Just water changes and vigilance is all that is needed at this time. Rufus

warblad79
05-26-2015, 06:58 PM
I treated mine last week and the whirling decease is gone. According to some people here, the whirling decease is cause by the internal parasite so Furan 2 will not work because they meant to cure bacterial infection not parasitic.