PDA

View Full Version : jungle val blocking overflow grate intake, any ideas?

Jack L
06-11-2015, 09:13 PM
hi all,
some of my longer my jungle val keeps working its way back and then is getting sucked against the overflow intake grates causing some drainage issues. anyone have ideas how to prevent that?
beside the obvious of cutting the val

thanks

rickztahone
06-11-2015, 09:56 PM
hi all,
some of my longer my jungle val keeps working its way back and then is getting sucked against the overflow intake grates causing some drainage issues. anyone have ideas how to prevent that?
beside the obvious of cutting the val

thanks

Have you tried some gutter guard? You can also put a small pump there to prevent the vals from heading that way. Short of relocation or trimming, I don't see any other options.

strawberryblonde
06-11-2015, 10:44 PM
I gave up/gave in when my amazon swords got too tall and were doing the same thing. I ended up moving them further from the intakes and then moved the intakes over the other way just a bit. It worked and no more issues with stuffing up my intakes or overflow.

jmf3460
06-12-2015, 09:10 AM
move the intake??

Jack L
06-20-2015, 11:41 AM
thanks for replies, i didn't get any notifications from board though.
i thought..... i set it to instantly tell me

i thought gutta guard is NOT fish safe? its like 2 bucks at home depot, but when i read it was treated to be algae mildew resistance i figured it would off my fish.

its a built in overflow, can't move it. but i figured something out, came back to share (and saw your replies). maybe what you mean with gutter guard

i bought one of the bigger eshopps sponges, and cut them into pieces, like 1" x 6" x 1/2" thick. then i fed them into the slots to make a prefilter of sorts. now when the val hits its, it doesn't seal fast. it will be a little annoying to take off and clean...but oh well.

also it hopefully will save the shrimp. 2 when for a ride, only one survived.

aesthically i don't love it, but i didn't really like the slots in the overflow either. at least now i can't see the white stand pipes.

rickztahone
06-20-2015, 12:27 PM
thanks for replies, i didn't get any notifications from board though.
i thought..... i set it to instantly tell me

i thought gutta guard is NOT fish safe? its like 2 bucks at home depot, but when i read it was treated to be algae mildew resistance i figured it would off my fish.

its a built in overflow, can't move it. but i figured something out, came back to share (and saw your replies). maybe what you mean with gutter guard

i bought one of the bigger eshopps sponges, and cut them into pieces, like 1" x 6" x 1/2" thick. then i fed them into the slots to make a prefilter of sorts. now when the val hits its, it doesn't seal fast. it will be a little annoying to take off and clean...but oh well.

also it hopefully will save the shrimp. 2 when for a ride, only one survived.

aesthically i don't love it, but i didn't really like the slots in the overflow either. at least now i can't see the white stand pipes.

Do you have a picture?

Jack L
06-22-2015, 11:29 PM
this is after installing the cut eshoppes foam as screens. it didn't save the cherry shrimp though : (

this collects debris quick, so that is now a bit of a chore

Jack L
06-22-2015, 11:36 PM
or did you mean this?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Home-Products-6-in-x-20-ft-Black-Roll-Gutter-Guard-85198/202962716?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-203649436-_-202962716-_-N

rickztahone
06-23-2015, 03:15 PM
yeah, make sure you are cleaning those often. If you forget and they clog up, the only place the water has to go is over the overflow.

Jack L
09-12-2015, 09:09 PM
i got tired of the sponge turning into biofilter and plugging, removed and added this, plastic canvas from hobby store. chem free ASAIK, the Home Depot stuff had algacides on it

pastry
09-12-2015, 11:08 PM
I used to love jungle val but then it just reproduced too much. I finally got rid of it. I liked it, but now I like it without jungle val. Alternative: let it grow looooong and have some driftwood pieces on either side of intake to sway it away