PDA

View Full Version : Pimafix and MelaFix: Do they really work?

Heartbreaker
06-19-2015, 12:22 AM
I have purchased these meds many times but rarely do they make a difference whenever I had an issue. That being said, I wanted to know everyone else's experience with these medications. Does it/did it work for you? Is there a good use for them? etc ...

Fishquake
06-19-2015, 07:28 AM
IMHO they are useless. Just threw a bottle of Melafix away.

Second Hand Pat
06-19-2015, 07:47 AM
While I have not used these personally I have seen our experienced disease guys say they are a waste of money.
Pat

DonMD
06-19-2015, 09:45 AM
They smell nice! But seriously, any time you medicate a tank, you are putting stress on the fish. If you suspect there is a problem in your system or with your fish, I highly recommend posting in the Emergency Room section; there you'll get excellent advice and if you do have a serious problem, you'll have a better chance of learning what drug will be most effective. Good luck.

bluelagoon
06-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Don't thro it away,wash yourself with it.Great for your hair and does kill some weak strains of body fungi and bacteria,you'll have a nice smell too.As far as fish diseases,I'd recommend pharmaceutical medications for fish instead of herbal remedies.

Heartbreaker
06-27-2015, 10:01 PM
Don't thro it away,wash yourself with it.Great for your hair and does kill some weak strains of body fungi and bacteria,you'll have a nice smell too.As far as fish diseases,I'd recommend pharmaceutical medications for fish instead of herbal remedies.

LOL!!

Thanks... I had been thinking this for a long time that they really are useless but thought maybe I was the only one who thought so. I'll have to try and find some use for the bottles I have

Heartbreaker
06-27-2015, 10:03 PM
Thanks again. If I have any problems, now I know to post in the Emergency Room forum. :)

LizStreithorst
06-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Snake oil.

nc0gnet0
06-28-2015, 03:38 AM
Melafix has been shown to help speed the healing of superficial cuts, but other than that it's useless.

strawberryblonde
06-28-2015, 11:17 AM
I got an unopened huge bottle of Pimafix from the guy who sold me my used big tank a few years ago.

Since the main ingredient is clove oil, I didn't throw it away - I used it when I needed to cull fish. Started with a big dose in a gallon of water, waited till the fish were asleep, then added a second dose. Waited 5 minutes and added a third dose - fish dead as a door nail within another 5 minutes.

nc0gnet0
06-28-2015, 11:23 AM
I got an unopened huge bottle of Pimafix from the guy who sold me my used big tank a few years ago.

Since the main ingredient is clove oil, I didn't throw it away - I used it when I needed to cull fish. Started with a big dose in a gallon of water, waited till the fish were asleep, then added a second dose. Waited 5 minutes and added a third dose - fish dead as a door nail within another 5 minutes.

Huh? Pimafix has clove oil? I have not heard that. I know that melafix has tea tree oil, but a big difference there.

strawberryblonde
06-28-2015, 11:37 AM
It's not listed as in ingredient, but the stuff definitely is full of clove oil - maybe not THE main ingredient, but it's enough to make the bottle smell like Christmas when you open it. LOL

I headed to the internet to ask about the ingredients when I first got the bottle and saw that many people quit using it to cure their fish and started using it to cull them - so I did the same.

Hopefully I've got the right name and it's not Melafix. I tossed the empty bottle a couple of years ago so I might be remembering the wrong product name. =)

Allwin
06-28-2015, 12:08 PM
Heard,Pimafix can be used for sedating the fishes.

nc0gnet0
06-28-2015, 01:01 PM
It's not listed as in ingredient, but the stuff definitely is full of clove oil - maybe not THE main ingredient, but it's enough to make the bottle smell like Christmas when you open it. LOL

I headed to the internet to ask about the ingredients when I first got the bottle and saw that many people quit using it to cure their fish and started using it to cull them - so I did the same.

Hopefully I've got the right name and it's not Melafix. I tossed the empty bottle a couple of years ago so I might be remembering the wrong product name. =)

Might very well be able to be used to cull fish, on this I do not know. Can't understand why they would use a sedative/narcotic in a fish medication. I do know that it's not listed on the MSDS sheet.

http://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/3334_PimaFix_Documents_MSDSVendors_2014_February_0 6_07-43-08-781_AM.pdf

nc0gnet0
06-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Might very well be able to be used to cull fish, on this I do not know. Can't understand why they would use a sedative/narcotic in a fish medication. I do know that it's not listed on the MSDS sheet.

http://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/3334_PimaFix_Documents_MSDSVendors_2014_February_0 6_07-43-08-781_AM.pdf

Interesting, Bay tree oil does contain eugenol, the active sedative also found in clove oil, so it would stand to reason it could be used to cull fish.

bluelagoon
06-28-2015, 02:57 PM
Honestly tho,you can find those same extracts in soaps and shampoos in the "Body Shop's".I've used the shampoos and they made my scalp feel great.