PDA

View Full Version : Triple Sulfa & Nitrite

Heartbreaker
06-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Question: Since Triple Sulfa kills bacterial infections in Discus I was wondering does it also kill the beneficial bacteria in the biological filter that processes Nitrite?

I only ask because I had some Discus in quarantine and the Nitrites were through the roof. It could have been because I didn't cycle the tank properly due to my impatience...

brewmaster15
06-23-2015, 07:16 PM
Its been literally decades since I used triple sulfa for anything but when I did it trashed my biofilter everytime.:(

Al

Heartbreaker
06-23-2015, 09:42 PM
What do you use for bacterial infections?

Second Hand Pat
06-23-2015, 09:44 PM
Kanamycin but it also affects your bio.
Pat

Heartbreaker
06-27-2015, 10:04 PM
Kanamycin but it also affects your bio.
Pat

How would you recommend treating for bacterial infections and keeping your bio filtration in tact?

Second Hand Pat
06-27-2015, 10:14 PM
Remove your bio-media (and keep it alive elsewhere) and do large daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite in check or even better, remove the fish to a QT with no bio and do the large daily water changes on that tank.

nc0gnet0
06-28-2015, 03:35 AM
Remove your bio-media (and keep it alive elsewhere) and do large daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite in check or even better, remove the fish to a QT with no bio and do the large daily water changes on that tank.

This isn't the better way, it's the only way. This may sound harsh, but I have no time to help people that can't take the time to set up a proper hospital tank for treatment. Just like you don't bandage a wound before cleaning it, you don't treat a sick fish in a display tank. Oh, and this statement is not directed at the OP, but to everyone reading in general.

-Rick

alron2
06-28-2015, 01:55 PM
Mud,

When you return the fish to the display tank what keeps the fish from getting re-infected? Doesn't the display tank still have the bad bacteria in it?

Thanks
Ron