PDA

View Full Version : Flash wanted Nikon D5500

Blademan
06-30-2015, 08:40 AM
I am thinking of purchasing a flash for the Nikon, but no way am I going to pay for a speedlight, for the amount of times I think I would actually use it, will a cheaper make work ok, or could mess up my camera as the handbook suggests ?

IF so any suggestions

Last time I had a flash unit was with an old Zenith 35mm SLR way back in 1985 :), I think they may be more advanced now

DiscusOnly
06-30-2015, 09:05 AM
I am thinking of purchasing a flash for the Nikon, but no way am I going to pay for a speedlight, for the amount of times I think I would actually use it, will a cheaper make work ok, or could mess up my camera as the handbook suggests ?

IF so any suggestions

Last time I had a flash unit was with an old Zenith 35mm SLR way back in 1985 :), I think they may be more advanced now

Don't know what you have in mind as far as budget goes. I personally use the speedlight. I got a few SB800 used a few years ago for $200 each.

dagray
06-30-2015, 07:56 PM
check out the used flash heads at KEH.com you can get your speedlight at a reduced cost :)

Many pros when they upgrade equipment will sell their old equipment to Keh, B&H, Adorama, or other retailers to offset the cost of the new gear.

Blademan
06-30-2015, 09:26 PM
Don't know what you have in mind as far as budget goes. I personally use the speedlight. I got a few SB800 used a few years ago for $200 each.

I am in China so can buy other brands which all look very good ? very cheaply, but I was concerned that the manual says use only Nikon products or it could damage the camara.

Would something like this work ?

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.202.II4DiG&id=40865795753&ns=1&abbucket=3#detail

DiscusOnly
06-30-2015, 10:48 PM
Not sure if they would ruin your camera but I suspect it will be the same as using other non Nikon electronics (like the battery grip). While there are those who have success using generic brands, some works better than others with more consistency. I buy a lot of my camera stuff used so I never pay new retail price. When comparing that to generic brands, I am not paying that much more.

Blademan
07-02-2015, 06:31 AM
Not sure if they would ruin your camera but I suspect it will be the same as using other non Nikon electronics (like the battery grip). While there are those who have success using generic brands, some works better than others with more consistency. I buy a lot of my camera stuff used so I never pay new retail price. When comparing that to generic brands, I am not paying that much more.

Ended up ordering a Neewer VK750 11 TTL speedlight, read lots of reviews very good comments so lets see should arrive 6th July cost about $45