PDA

View Full Version : Splitting up my Discus in Grow out Tank

Nycfatcow
07-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Hi all,

One of my first posts to this website and I've found tons of useful information here so far.

I have been growing out 11 x 2.5 inch discus that i purchased from Discus Hans. (beautiful discus by the way and very high quality). i have been raising them in a 20 gallon bare bottom tank with daily 90%-100% water changes feeding them 4-5 times a day. The discus have significantly grown in the past two months 7 of them have reached the 3-3.5 inch the other 4 have hit the 4 inch mark.

My question - Do you think it makes sense to move out the 4 larger discus to my 55 gallon tank with driftwood and sand? I have 2 x 5 inch discus and 2 x 4 inch angelfish in that tank. I do want to point out that i only change this tank twice a week 50% each water change. I guess my other option is to leave the 4 larger discus in the grow out tank let them become monsters over time.

Thanks

rickztahone
07-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Hi all,

One of my first posts to this website and I've found tons of useful information here so far.

I have been growing out 11 x 2.5 inch discus that i purchased from Discus Hans. (beautiful discus by the way and very high quality). i have been raising them in a 20 gallon bare bottom tank with daily 90%-100% water changes feeding them 4-5 times a day. The discus have significantly grown in the past two months 7 of them have reached the 3-3.5 inch the other 4 have hit the 4 inch mark.

My question - Do you think it makes sense to move out the 4 larger discus to my 55 gallon tank with driftwood and sand? I have 2 x 5 inch discus and 2 x 4 inch angelfish in that tank. I do want to point out that i only change this tank twice a week 50% each water change. I guess my other option is to leave the 4 larger discus in the grow out tank let them become monsters over time.

Thanks

Personally, I'd transfer them all out of there to the larger tank. However, once moved, I would do daily water changes on the larger tank as well.

discuspaul
07-12-2015, 06:33 PM
You already have 2 - 5" discus and 2 -4" angels in that 55 gal which is already nearing it's acceptable livestock load limit, so adding 4 more 4" discus will be pushing the envelope, even if it's only for a temporary period - especially when the ensuing space cramping could result in unwanted aggression.
In any event, I wouldn't suggest moving any fish over with the others mentioned without a proper quarantine.

A suitable approach imo would be to get a larger tank very soon (suggest 90 gals or more), cycle it as quickly as possible, and move all of your 11 - 3" - 4" discus into it.

DISCUS STU
07-13-2015, 04:00 PM
I looks like you're going to need a lot more tank and relatively soon. The chances of not stunting 11 juveniles with only 75 gals. of water combined and four other fully grown fish don't look encouraging.

Skip
07-13-2015, 04:06 PM
keep them together.. there is now way to get around that fact.. that some of your fish are faster growers.... average growers... and slow growers..

let them be as a group.. and get rid of the ones you don't like later.. discus like groups.. the more the merrier

IMO